Pontiac G8 Forum banner

X-Pipe plans. Which to buy?

2K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  KevlarDreams 
#1 ·
I've been kicking around ideas for minor exhaust improvements for the past couple weeks. I was contiplating putting Solo axle backs on but most people said it would be too loud with my headers.

So... What are some thoughts about adding an x-pipe? Will it make any difference in the overall sound? I like the way my car sounds from an engine standpoint (CAI and headers) but I want some more sound out of my back end exhaust.

An x-pipe sounds like a fairly cheap option. Assuming this would add some umph to the exhaust note, is there a specific x-pipe out there that is the best choice?

#2 ·
Most people either go with the 40$ ebay x pipe or the magnaflow 90$ x pipe. 12" and 2 1/2 diameter piping. If you are interested i have a brand new ebay x pipe that i would sell for 25 shipped. Send me a pm if you are interested.

#3 ·
Thanks - I'll shoot you a PM shortly. Sounds like a good deal.

How is the difference in exhaust note with the x-pipe? Any idea?

#5 ·
Depends on your set up, but with most the tone goes up an octave and will remind you of a more exotic sound like from a Masserati or an M5, but with muscle.

Ebay X-Pipe for the win...got mine for $30 and 2.5 years later it's still intact and structurally sound.
It will sound more exotic for sure

#6 ·
"Exotic" kind of concerns me. Guess I will have to try and check out YouTube for some clips to make sure I like it.

Any added drone from an x pipe?

#8 ·
X pipes especially the resonated ones will cut down drone. X pipes will help increase torque if you're not running a X or H. A H pipe will also help torque but will have more of a muscle car sound vs the X's exotic. But the X is IMHO more efficent way of increasing torque/scavenging from the exhaust.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone for all the info. That's why this forum is awesome!

Pretty much any muffler shop can cut out and weld in the x pipe for me, right?

#11 ·
^ Yep, instruct them to remove the mid muff and replace with xpipe. Pretty straight forward. Cost me $80 and took about 30 minutes to do. Typically Mom and Pop shops are cheaper, but Midas or some of the others will do it and charge you $100+ for an hours work.

#12 ·
$80 is what it cost me as well, took all of 20 minutes.

#13 ·
Check out the x pipe on summit racing's website for comparison. It's 6-8 inches longer. It's called a narrow x pipe. It's 20 inches long compared to the 12 and 14 inch ones. It's more fluid and seems it would flow better.

#14 ·
So stupid question - the x pipe definitely looks smaller (shorter) than the mid-muff. Does the muffler shop fab up some additional piping to make sure it fits?

#15 ·
#16 ·
I got an x-pipe that was 409 stainless, same as the stock pipes. Amazon $35. Will last as long as the rest of the pipes. Lawson 2.25"

#17 ·
Thanks to 2Lazy4agoodname, I got hooked up with one for $25 so I'm going to try that. Taking it in later this week to get installed. Anxious to hear what it sounds like.

#18 ·
Headers certainly change the game and from what I've heard, it can get very loud. I have stock manifold, x-pipe and solo-style axlebacks: love the sound. Mean, nasty and deep.

#19 ·
I would live to throw some Solo axle backs on there too but that would likely be wake-the-dead loud which my small kids, wife, and neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate :)

Maybe in a few years when she's not my daily driver I will do that.

#20 ·
Nah it wont be that loud :wall:

#21 ·
Won't be obnixus loud. i got a x and Solo's.....

#22 ·
It's the headers combined with the x pipe combined with the Solos that would be crazy loud. I've heard an otherwise stock G8 with solo cat back and it sounded outstanding.

#23 ·
I have AR 1 7/8 headers, catted x pipe, and solo axleback and its really loud on a cold startup. If you leave early in the morning it will likely wake the neighbors. It's not ridiculously loud between idle and 3000 rpm so highway cruising and normal city driving aren't too bad. Anything higher than 3k is very loud though. If you don't drive with your foot into it all the time and your not worried about waking the neighbors i'm sure it would be ok for you, in my opinion its worth it for the amazing sound :D

#24 ·
Don't get an X-pipe. Get an X-pipe muffler. That way you can keep your Solo axle back. Magnaflow and Jones make x-pipe mufflers that do the job. This way you will be set for headers. They are just too loud with no mufflers at all.

#25 ·
At the shop now getting it installed. Quoted $80 at a local family owned shop. Anxious to check it out.

#26 ·
Good price...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#27 ·
Took about 30 mins for them to install it. Here's my thoughts after the drive back to work:

- At idle, the car sounds no different than before
- At low revs (< 2500), very little difference in exhaust note
- At full revs (in park, with a quick 5k+ rev), I LOVE IT. Someone here mentioned that it had an "exotic" note to it and I have to say that's a very accurate description. In my own words, it made the exhaust note sound ever so slightly raspy (not negatively, at all). In other words, instead of a loud dog growl, now it reminds me of a really pissed off giant panther or something :)
- Its probably just my mind playing tricks with me, but the seat-o-the-pants test felt like I had a little better torque / throttle response than before.

Overall, not a bad way to spend 100 bucks. No drone whatsoever and otherwise normal sounding at idle and cruising RPMs. Get on it and it screams pretty good for still having the stock axlebacks on. Consider me happy.

Thanks to all who provided info and thanks to Jason for a quick and easy sale.

#29 ·
Glad you're enjoying it! Love my x pipe as well!

#30 ·
Go with Stainless Works. I loooovvveee the sound and the smoothness. Also, drone is close to non-existent!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.