Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Whipple 2.9 Supercharger for the G8

24K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  FCNFST 
#1 ·
There is a Whipple 2.9 available for G8/VE in Australia from YellaTerra. It has a front drive and rear air flow entry.

Has anyone seen the Camaro and Corvette version (front drive and front air flow) adapted/modified for the G8?

Sent from mobile App

#3 ·
It's too tall for sure. A Maggie 2300 pulley already rubs the hood liner. With the height difference of the whipple, I'd say it won't work

#4 ·
I just bought a 2008 g8. It has 63k miles.
I'm a big German car driver, so American is new territory for me. I'm looking for mid 11s in the quarter. What's the most reliable way to do this?
Keep in mind this is my every day driver so it has to relatively easy on the motor.

#7 ·
I already have the maggie 2300, but would be very interested to see if this can be done and at what cost.

#9 ·
I'm pretty sure the subframe is a separate frame to support the engine and or transmission. It either bolts up or is welded to the frame. I'm sure they mean to drop it so that it will lower the whole engine, providing room for the bigger 2.9 whipple. Well I shouldn't say I'm sure, more I'm guessing haha. But I have no idea how that would be accomplished if its welded without some serious fabrication. I don't even know how it'd be do e if its bolted for that matter. Someone with some more knowledge then me chime in :)

#16 ·
Thanks ksiu71, saw that thread but it is more about KB's and didn't provide anything useful about options with whipples.

Does anyone have more info about how to lower the sub frame (and therefore the engine) in a G8? I don't think I would really do this - just curious. I imagine it would lower ground clearance of the exhaust/ cats, so not a great option I guess??

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#12 ·
Interesting. One thing the Yella Terra site says is that for them to make it fit, they used engine mounts from an LS1/2. No need to drop the subframe. If that's the case, then I would worry about header clearance....

The current front inlet units from Whipple for the Camaro and Corvette seem interesting as well...

#13 ·
Yea because that would lower the motor quite a bit. I'm already low as it is and my headers scrap everything.

#22 ·
Get ARH and Spintech mufflers from Maryland speed. lol. But I wouldn't thread jack... So start your own thread in the exhaust section or use the search bar. There are TONS of threads already about it.

#23 ·
I'm not sure how tall the whipple is, but I had to remove the good liner jut to fit my Maggie 2300. As for your exhaust question, I agree with ^^, do a thread search and you'll find plenty. I will say I had kooks lt headers and cat back exhaust with no other mods but intake on my previous g8 and it sounded mean. But then I wrecked it and went the route in my sig, it sounds more like a monster! Lol, but enough thread jacking, just wanted to throw out my past experience.

#25 ·
The cost on them is ridiculous. Just not worth it.

#27 ·
I should have been more specific. I am referring to the Yella Terra Whipple kits. The 2.9 is ~ $12,000 AUD which is about $12,500 USD + probably over $100 in shipping.

The price on kits in Australia seems to be insane. I can't believe you guys even put up with that.

#28 ·
Haha, yes I agree. This is one of the reasons I started this thread! I was interested to find out if the fantastic front feed version of the Whipple had been successfully fitted to a G8 or a VE Commodore.

I was also aware of the cheaper prices of Superchargers in the US - around the $8000 mark for a Corvette Whipple kit?

It seems that the Corvette C6 version can be/ has been fitted but that it has about 15mm (5/8") clearance problem with the hood.

One way this has been resolved is to lower, using washers, the subframe that holds the engine. Of course as an alternative the hood could be modified.

#32 ·
We have a performance shop here that specializes in the G8's and the owner swears by the maggies. He will sell you the maggie, install it and tune the car on his Dyno for $8500. Its so tempting to have done over the winter but I'm one of those guys that likes doing everything myself and probably will then take it to him for a Dyno tune.

#36 ·
That shop is ripping you the **** off. My God. $8500 is a joke.

#33 ·
I am familiar with both Maggie and Whipple, not on g8's, and I can tell you that the whipple kit is a class above Maggie. From instructions to having everything clearly labeled and marked, hoses are precut, you're not cuttin lengths from one length... It's those things that make it easier for the novice, or even experienced installer.

As far as price, my whipple 2.9 camaro ss kit was $6,000 shipped for the tuner kit, from a newer company on the block. That included the appropriate bent tube for my rotofab... So you've got to shop around. If you pm I'll give you the company's name.

#37 ·
$1000 labor and a magical $2500 tune! LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.