Pontiac G8 Forum banner

CAM help after Comp Cams live chat...

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  GT Drew 
#1 · (Edited)
Rick Crawfords post about his Comp Thumpr cam in his G8.
http://forum.***********/showthread.php?t=12282
I also seen he ran a 12.20 with the DOD active. Got me thinking on doing something similar.

Thumpr cam and rockers a bit later so it is easy on my wallet. Well a live chat from Comp Cams now I am scratching my head and could use some help. I was also looking at the New Era package DOD package. Now I am not sure what really to do. Wife don't want me spending 3k up front for DOD delete, cam, srpings, hardware, stall, misc...Here is the convo...

Gabe: How can I help you?
isaac: Well I am wondering about a cam for me car
isaac: the thumpr cam
Gabe: Tell me about the set up
isaac: I am not sure if you can tell me a break down of the specifics for my car
isaac: 08 Pontiac g8 gt
isaac: I want the Thumpr cam that works with my DOD hardware
isaac: and in the future I was to add roller rocker 1.85 to increase the lift a bit more without stressing the DOD junk
isaac: I know I need springs and would like those to be good for 650 lift incase I remove DOD later.
Gabe: There is not a thumpr cam that will work with the AFM DOD, and increasing the lift is not going to be an option. You are limited to .500 lift with AFM/DOD
Gabe: Do you want to delete the AFM DOD, and then go in remove the lifters and use a standard lifter?
isaac: well I know of a guy that has done it.
isaac: which is why I am even look at comp. I was looking at the new era packages
isaac: http://forum.***********/showthread.php?t=12282
isaac: Amd I know I can get more than 500 lift. The other kits are around .540 550
isaac: the rockers will give me a bit more... that thread I sent you he says he is like .570 with afm still active.. Whcih is crazy
Gabe: Man, I am telling you that it is not safe to run over .500 lift on an AFM DOD app. If you look at any of our cams designed on AFM DID, they are at .500
isaac: this is why I wanted to ask for assistance as I don't know
Gabe: Man, I have never seen it before..... And I own an LS vehicle
Gabe: And cam these things all day
isaac: I think new era are ground comp cams. can you look at this.
isaac: http://www.neweraperformanceparts.c...e=flypage.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54
isaac: I know the dod stuff sucks already and dont like it
isaac: would rather remove it and just get more agressive cam but...
Gabe: I would rather you remove it
isaac: yah ok thanks
Gabe: And are you after sound or performance.. the thumpr cams ... are really moer for sound
isaac: yah I jsut seen that guy running 12.2 on that cam no spray and it sounds really good with afm active
isaac: car has low mile though
isaac: stock stall
Gabe: Man I have never heard of times like that with a thumpr and a stock stall with the AFM active. I would look more towards my 54-459-11.... 231/239 lift is .617/.624 with a 113 LSA. The Lsr lobe will out perform the tumpr all day long
isaac: with dod delete right? that big cam
Gabe: Yes...
-------------------------

So what is the max lift the AFM DOD can handle safely?

I am sure lots of people think about this path as an alternative but I could really use some advice. I apologize in advance if I am mistaken on some on my info here.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
You should call Rick himself and see what he says.

#3 ·
I have Ricks Thumpr in my car with DOD active. Just need to ensure you gave the newer style lifters.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#4 ·
Cool...Hey Scooby, I meet your friend in the Blazer SS a while back if you don't remember. At Firebird.
So I am sure I have the old lifters, how much would it cost if I were to just buy the new design?
Also what kind of gains do you feel you got with that cam and did you get rockers yet? I bet it sounds really good.

#5 ·
You have to remove the heads to replace the dod lifters, might as well at that point do it right and replace dod hardware for a proper performance setup.

Doesn't seem right to pull the heads to put dod parts back in.

#7 ·
Wow thanks for starting this thread I have been trying to figure out which cam to run in my G.

#8 ·
Take out that DOD Garbage and call it a day!

#10 ·
So now I m looking at a budget TSP package. The DOD delete is 389 with only 8 lifters. The other 8 are an extra 70 bucks...The cam spring package with pack 1518s is 675. The cam I am looking at is the 224/228 not sure what LSA I should get. It says 114. Can anyone give their thoughts on this setup?

How risky is this setup without adding the HF Oil pump, timing chain, stall and the extra 8 lifters on a car with 65k?

I plan on a stall down the road but I only drive the car maybe once a week. I have a speed 3 for my DD.

#16 ·
How risky is this setup without adding the HF Oil pump, timing chain, stall and the extra 8 lifters on a car with 65k?
Because our cars have AFM/DOD already, we have a high flow oil pump stock....

#11 ·
My Thumpr cam is. 553" lift with stock rockers. I used LS9 springs good up to .580" lift for $70 for all 16 from Lingenfelter. If you keep the DOD lifters, no need to pull the heads. I used 5/16" dowels to hold the lifters in place.

#12 ·
8ualive has the same Thumpr cam as me but on a 114 LSA

#13 ·
blkscooby what lobe sepp are you running?

#14 ·
Rick Crawfords old 109 LSA. Its lumpy at idle but smooth while driving.

#15 ·
nice

#17 ·
Ok, What about the lifters? I always changed oil full syn every 5k. You think my 8 lifters are fine at 65k?
I only ask because I'm a bit tight on money with xmas and daughter b-day and plain spoiled wife this month but have 10 days off for xmas and have been day dreaming on installing a cam.

#18 ·
The difference is that the old Eaton lifters DO have a .500" limit. The new replacement Delphi lifters can handle largers lifts and still have AFM active. If you delete the AFM you no longer need the high volume oil pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.