Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Fiance taking my SUV- now need help deciding

3K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  SmokeyBear911 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

So long story short, my fiance will be taking my SUV in a few months and so I am on the lookout for a car.

I have made it down to two cars:

09 G8 GXP vs. 09 G8 GT

I know this is a topic that has been covered and it really depends on the persons preference, but I still wanted to get some insight and input. Here are a few items of note.

1. I live in Cali, sunshine 360 days a year, and car will be my daily driver.
2. The car will only be driven in the city, as my work is all lights to work. Therefore the big difference of a 25mpg vs 20mpg wont apply. The city difference does not seem significant to me. Anytime we will be going out of town, we will be taking the SUV and even if I do have to travel for out of town, my work will pay for the gas.
3. One condition for the car is that it has to be an automatic (per fiance request). I will comply as shes been nice enough to to take my older suv for me to get a newer car.
4. Prior to my SUV, i had a 350z for about 4 years and a E46 M3 for about year and half. I am really hoping to get a car that can match the performance and thats why I lean towards the GXP over the GT, but I have heard of some serious gains from bolt ons to the GT.

My question is for GT owners as well: if I get the GT, is it worth to spend 2-5 thousand dollars making it as fast as the GXP rather than just getting the GXP.

Any input from you guys is appreciated.

Thank you in advance and I apologize if I have posted in the wrong section.

Hardeep

See less See more
#2 ·
If you've got the money then get the GXP. Just pure rarity makes it a gem.

Performance wise, both GT and GXP will smoke that e46 and 350z you had. And it really maneuvers well for what it is.

City driving, light to light, I highly doubt you will see 20+ mpg in either. Probably around 14 with the GXP and 16-17 with GT. any spirited driving and it will most likely blow that away too.

Good luck. You won't regret either. But my my, so many good deals on GXPs lately. Check for sale section.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#6 ·
GT or GXP? Tough choice, but either way, you have a win/win situation.
When you buy a used car, you're buying what's left. Narrow it down to color choice, etc., and go from there. Do your homework, ask questions. Do you want DOD for example? If you want Bluetooth, sunroof,etc?
GXP is a great choice, better suspension, 6.2, rarity, all good points.
Then again, you might find a nicely modded GT.

I don't know if I helped or not......

#7 ·
If you're going auto, I would get a GT unless you can find a damn good deal on a gxp. Tune and cold air intake will have you running just as fast as a stock GXP from what I've seen

#8 ·
I see no benefit to getting the GXP if you're not getting a manual....for one you will have more choices looking for a GT vs. a GXP because more were produced. W/ a tune/intake it is very close to GXP power - My car made 332whp on a mustang dyno w/ just intake/custom tune/axleback - that's about 405HP @ the motor - very close to a GXP. While the GXP runs bigger calipers which will perform better during track days/autocross - the GT's brakes are phenomenal as well and very good for the street....no matter which car you get you WILL be needing to change brakes in the future so you can always upgrade lines/rotors/pads on the GT to heighten performance...its a "maintenance mod" when you think about it.

I don't regret not getting a GXP, I only miss having a manual, if I was buying a used G8 it'd be the GXP ONLY because of the manual. The GT's can be made as fast pretty easily and the gas mileage is a bonus...they ARE better around town than the GXP's too if you're wondering.

Save the extra money get the color combo/mileage you want in a GT since there are more out there you will have a better chance of getting the year/mileage/color/options you desire, then w/ that extra coin throw on headers/intake/tune and you'll have a faster ride than a GXP for less money w/ some custom touches.

Can't go wrong either way really though...enjoy

#9 ·
Depends on how far you want to mod, if at all. Im tired of the "tune and cai gets you close to stock gxp numbers". Tune and cai on the gxp will put that distance right back. You will want a tune on either car for the trans tune alone. The gxp has better gearing, better suspension, better engine.

Now, if you want to tear into the engine and buy the fe3 suspension, then the gt is the better deal.

I personally wouldn't want this car if 95% of my driving was city. It shines in open spaces and highways.

#10 ·
I wished I had found a GXP in silver in my area....I got the Gt and like it. Every comparible GXP with low miles and same color/condition was $10,000 more. A $35,000 used car just was not in the budget. Spending the extra $10K just was not worth to me personally. $25K is right where I wanted to be. Plus mine already came with 19' BBS wheels, Axle back exhaust and was in perfect condition.

#11 ·
GXP, for sure.

#12 ·
There are a lot of things that people like to put on their GTs that the GXPs already come with. FE3 suspension, GXP steering wheel, GXP bumper, GXP axle backs, 3.27 gears, brembo brakes (front only though), more power right off the bat, doesn't have DOD if you look into cam swaps, GXP rear diffuser, and of course the rarity that comes with the GXP itself. I know some people dont care about how rare a car is and those people dont have to reply to this comment just to state that fact because the truth of the matter is there are A LOT of people that do car about the exclusivity of the GXP. All around its a better car to start with if your going to mod or if you aren't going to mod. The only reason I didnt get one is because of the extra 10k$ on average over the GT.

#14 ·
Get the GXP if you don't mind paying more and getting a little worse fuel economy. Putting more money into a GT won't make the car worth more. A GXP is always worth more.

#16 ·
Its up to you. If you were to be driven in either one blindfolded you would not be able to tell the difference. The only reason i would get a gxp over the gt is to not have to deal with dod.

#19 ·
Well my budget is between 24,000 to 29,000 for a car. The performance mods I plan to do regardless if Gxp or gt are a new exhaust and a CAI. Headers are a maybe. Besides that I don't currently have plants for any other performance mods. I don't plan to put a cam or supercharge it.

I am willing to travel outside the state to go get the car. Color wouldn't mind black, white, silver or gray so not too particular.

#21 ·
I have a GXP because I needed/wanted a manual transmission car. If I could have gotten a manual in a GT, I probably would have gotten one, and modded it. I do have to say that if you get an automatic transmission GXP, you won't regret it though ;-) !

#22 ·
Really appreciating the input. Both seem like great cars.

Even though I say I will be driving in the city, it's not Los Angeles (its bakersfield) Most streets here have a speed limit above 50 mph. So it won't be stop and go traffic. For the right car, I'm willing to spend a grand or so above my top number too. I am really looking for a car that will last me the next 5+ years and still kick ass.

#23 ·
GT.

The GXP is more exclusive, and everything from parts to insurance will reflect that. With the GT there is 90%+ of the GXP experience, and if 90%+ isn't enough, then there's always the aftermarket/GXP parts. In my opinion, if you are going to take it to the local road course, go with the GXP. Otherwise, the GT will keep you grinning from ear to ear. Especially with some simple modifications, and you would easily have that budgeted with the amount you'd save over a GXP.

#25 ·
Not too worried about insurance. I have a clean record and i have had the m3 and 350z on there before so no worries there. Gas isn't of concern as my suv right now only gives me 14mpg so it won't be far worse. I am really leaning towards the Gxp because I keep thinking If I get the GT, I'm always wonder maybe I should have gotten the GXP.

I really don't want to spend tons of money modifying the car either to make it fast as the gxp.

I am also not in a big rush. I have basically from today till April to get one. Getting married on April 27, so anytime before that would be fine.

#33 ·
Not too worried about insurance. I have a clean record and i have had the m3 and 350z on there before so no worries there. Gas isn't of concern as my suv right now only gives me 14mpg so it won't be far worse. I am really leaning towards the Gxp because I keep thinking If I get the GT, I'm always wonder maybe I should have gotten the GXP.

I really don't want to spend tons of money modifying the car either to make it fast as the gxp.

I am also not in a big rush. I have basically from today till April to get one. Getting married on April 27, so anytime before that would be fine.
I see this a lot. Seems a lot of the GT folks struggle with this question. Some make the switch to a GXP, and others just mod the GT up. I have never seen someone with a GXP ask, "maybe I should have just saved the $8k, bought a GT, and modded it." So if you're already wondering this, you should probably go for the GXP.

That said, like bracketracer, if they had a manual option for the GT, that's what I'd be driving right now. Manual trans was the only reason for me to go GXP.

#27 ·
I would say the GXP.

I fought the same question before I bought my GXP. I was looking into modded GT's but the deciding factor with the GXP's was so rare and I found a good deal on one about 4 hrs from where I love. I bought mine for $27,200 back in April. I went from driving a 08 Grand Prix GXP to my G8 GXP and the insurance went up a whole $5 a month... no big deal.

I drive 11 miles one way to work and it is combined city/highway with plenty of lights and I get between 16-17mpg. Mine has the Automatic(wife can't drive stick...) and I don't have any complaints with it with the TCM flashed. I have a diablo tuner with the 93 Octane tune with the Firm Shift for the transmission. I would definitely buy a tuner as soon as you buy it if you get the Automatic. It seemed before the TCM tune that it was fishing for the right gear to be in, but the car really woke up after the tune.

#28 ·
That is what I am leaning towards. My work is about 10 miles from home and its mixed speeds of 45-55 MPH on lights. I am currently on the hunt for one. I have to get the automatic as well because soon to be wife cant drive stick. I am not too familiar with the different tunes, so will have to look more into that. One thing thats been drawing me to the GXP is that fact that its powerful right out the box, beating out most new cars (5.0 mustangs, 370z) etc.

How was the tune if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks for your help

#29 ·
Yea its nice to pull up to people and just blow the doors someone who has no idea what we drive!!

Tune wise the Diablo is very easy. All you do is plug into the OBD2 port and then select which the tune you want to install to the PCM then it will ask about the TCM. One you pick them it will flash both. I have done it a few different times and have it fail once. The TCM tune didnt take and the car was pretty much put in limp mode, stuck in 2nd gear and wouldnt shift... luckily I was at work (I run an auto repair shop) and I was able to get into the TCM with my scanner and clear all the codes and I retried the tune and it worked. Overall works great but if I didnt have access to the scanner I would have been stuck and maybe had to take it to the dealer...

#30 ·
It sounds like you've made your mind up so get the GXP - but like I mentioned will be MUCH harder to find one w/ the right combo of price/color/options/proximity.

Everyone's position is different. I personally wanted to get a GXP, but ONLY due to the manual tranny (the SOTP feel between A6 gxp and A6 gt is not significant IMO) but at the time they were literally just hitting the lots and dealers were not budging in price much at all. So I got a new leftover 2008 for a good deal ($28,000) w/ all the options.

Another thing to consider is how much you drive - at the time I purchased and really only up until recently I was putting on an average of 23,000 miles a year, so while I immediately put on an intake/exhaust/tune (which nearly equaled the stock A6 GXP power-wise), the other differences that I upgraded like brakes/suspension took care of themselves through routine maintenance since I was racking up the miles quickly.

W/ the way the prices are now and in my current situation if I was shopping for used G8 it'd be the M6 GXP and only the M6 because there is nothing else that compares (4000 lb V8 RWD 4 door w/ stick) save an M5 and that is $90,000 new and much more than a GXP used.

IMHO opinion for the reasons I stated the A6 was not worth the premium at all TO ME - to others may be different. Good luck w/ whatever you get either way you will not be disappointed.

#31 ·
I really appreciate your input. You are right that I will like to get a GXP, but only if the price is right. If i can not find one for a reasonable price, I am not against just picking up a G8 GT say for example for $22,000 which I have found quite a few for that price and just put in about 5,000 in mods to make it just right. It really is going to depend on the best deal.

My number one color preference is Gray, which isnt offered (or atleast i have not seen yet) on the GXP. Lets see what happens. I have been browsing the classified on here as well as Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com, etc...

The great thing is that I am not in a rush. I have approximately 4 months to find the right one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.