Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Plastidip experts.... how to get clean edges??

41K views 70 replies 17 participants last post by  JESUSFREAK702 
#1 ·
Every time i try to remove my tape from a large surface, it peels the pd with it. I've tried several methods, what am I missing?

Shaun

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

#36 ·
Lol, i only have 3 hours since i bought my first can, and now off the 2nd, covering the leters and emblems with the first coat, using the same technique as the video i posted. i won't become addicted to this, i know myself, i can control it , it's only 2 cans and that's it.... shiat, i think 10 minutes have passed by, gotta go to check the fist coat..... :)

#37 ·
lol, i only have 3 hours since i bought my first can, and now off the 2nd, covering the leters and emblems with the first coat, using the same technique as the video i posted. I won't become addicted to this, i know myself, i can control it , it's only 2 cans and that's it.... Shiat, i think 10 minutes have passed by, gotta go to check the fist coat..... :)
post results !

#39 ·
I wish they sold the metalizers at Home Depot. My local one doesn't have it.

#40 ·
Dipyourcar dot com has some more great videos.

#41 · (Edited)
Lol, just finished with the 4th coat, and i'm just waiting on those 15 minutes to start the cleaning/peeling off.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This was the first coat.

#42 ·
Came out pretty good, i didn't have a microfiber rag, so cleaning the runover is little more difficult, but it does go out. I'll post pics later.

#43 ·
Done. it's too late to take a couple of pics, i tried it, and the only thing i get is a very reflective license plate. i'll snap a couple of pics tomorrow morning.
Cleaned all the runover with a big cloth, so i'll mask some more when i do the windows trim. the portion that gave more troubles was the front of the hood, i guess because that's the portion that sees more chips and crap during daily driving, the back was a cake with a little rag i had. in any case, a little bit of wax took care of everything i didn't see in the front anyways. Again, had i know of this stuff before, and i'll have literally a dipped car :) haha

#45 ·
I bet it looks hot. :drink:

#48 ·
Mehhhh, like a real bronze. I know in one of his videos it says you can spray it over black to achieve a bronze-like finish but...I'd have to see more than one example. Better yet, I'd want to see it in person.

#51 ·
It's been raining like crazy this morning, but here she is, I need to adjust the passenger side kidney as when i installed it, i don't think the lower clips seated properly. Damn it, and with this weather, there is now way to remove the SOB to make right. oh well, i'll have to wait. :)

#53 ·
Damn good job for being a noob.

#54 ·
Lol thanks, I'll have to wait until next week to plastidip the window trims, our weather just entered sucks mode, with nothing but rain daily until Sunday, so now i'm like a junkie waiting for a fix :)

This product makes newbies like me to look like a Pro, so i'm confident the trims would look good, and i don't have to worry too much about the runover, another + to the plasti dip stuff. i'll mask either way on the big spots around the window trims anyways, but i'll use the same approach as before, leaving around 1" of space between the trim and paint, i haven't tried a larger section yet, so will see how it goes.

#56 ·
No idea, i just used a small cotton rag, and had it wet with some Windex, cleaned the badges and surrounding areas, and came out pretty good. the plasti dip didn't stick around, and peeled off perfect. The runover in the front hood was a little tougher, but didn't stick as well. all the areas that were covered by plastidip in full, had no issues with plasti dip sticking to the paint.

I'm expecting the window side trims to be fairly easy because that area doesn't seem to be a porous as the hood area, i guess because that portion is not subject to all the freeway stuff the car frontal area gets hit with, during daily commute.

#60 ·
Can you guys show some pics to get ideas of what you guys did with the arrowhead ?
Thanks a lot, i like the full black arrowhead though, but just to see what would i miss if i leave them like that :)

#61 ·
Sounds like you guys are applying most of yours in one coat? I tried removing the tape while still wet and still got peeling. It may have been the sun drying it quickly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

#63 ·
I didn't apply mine in the sun. I posted a pic earlier in the thread and you can still see some damp spots on the plastidip. Line came out close to perfect.

#64 ·
I just peeled and reapplied my hood per the video, and it turned out pretty well.
Taped it all off, applied a very even HEAVY coat, and removed the tape immediately.

Shaun

#65 ·
So bluegoat, you think this stuff is addicting, get some 3m 1080 film and you'll be trying to find everything to put it on also.

I just reworked my center console with more 1080 film and it came out nice. After I was finished, I thought, "Damn, I'm getting good at this shyte!" LOL

The first time I did it, I had to scrap my first attempt then got it right the second time. This time I didn't make one mistake and it looks awesome. Just took my time after the kids went to bed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.