Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Bluetooth, cruise control and remote start not working

7K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  GOPHERIT 
#1 ·
So I'm a new guy here.. just got my 09 GT this past saturday. A few things I've noticed so far, is that my cruise control isn't working, the remote start isn't working and I can't get the onstar system to recognize that I want to pair my phone to the car.

I think I may know why the cruise doesn't work. I had an 07 Grand Prix that the cruise didn't work on, when I swapped out the stock spoiler for an SLP model and I broke the connector for the brake light in it. The dealer said because the light was "not there/burned out", the PCM in the car would not allow the cruise control to work. Now I have a burned out fog light in my car now, even though I don't use the fogs, the passenger side is burned out. Would that cause this problem?

The remote start thing, only just happened. When I picked the car up, it did work. Lock + lock + hold button until it tries to start. Now that doesn't work. Any ideas?

The bluetooth thing.. when I hit the voice button, it says "onstar ready" and I say "bluetooth" and it says "thank you, goodbye" and shuts itself off. On the RARE occasion that it picks up what i'm saying correctly, it never gives me the option the manual says it should: "bluetooth ready" so that I can pair my phone to it. This just does NOT work. What can I do to make this car understand me properly and/or get it to prompt me to pair or even delete a previously paired phone?

See less See more
#3 ·
The VIN ends with 9L1xxxxx, so I guess that's why I have no Bluetooth.. fail.

And yes, the check engine light is on. I had put gas in the car, and within 30 seconds it popped on, so I'm figuring it's the gas cap code (P0420 or whatever it is). So the CEL keeps the cruise and remote start from working? Interesting, I'll need to get the code scanned and turned off.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

#5 ·
Yeah, I had gotten out of the car and tightened it, so I'm hoping a couple more ignition cycles and the code will clear itself, and if not, I'll get the code scanned and turned off, then replace the cap.

Oh, anyone know what bulbs the factory fog lights are? Couple parts places around here don't have any idea what kind they are.

#6 · (Edited)
The first thing that might be a problem for you, is if the car *is not* an 09MY GT or GXP.
If it is not one of those 2, the car did not come with the bluetooth setup incorporated into it (it can be added however). What you are hearing, sounds correct for a non bluethooth equipped car.
For the remote start, you need to verify that all 4 doors are indeed closed(as in no door ajar light illuminated). If it appears that all 4 doors are locked (like can't be manually opened and the manual door lock flippers all agree), I would say to open the hood and then close it with authority. If by chance the hood locked latch actuator misfired, an is indicating to the BCM that its not latched, you will not be able to remote start until corrected (no remote start allowed with a hood ajar condition).
Post what indication you see ( in the DIC for a short moment) when you push the turn signal stalk button *once*. Cruise control would be inop, if something with the brake pedal position sensor goes bad. But if your brake lights work correctly, I would think your brake pedal sensor is OK.

Ok--I had fun over thinking, and now see *better* info from the op, which makes my thoughts --moot--

#7 ·
Well, the car is indeed a MY09. I'm pretty sure the dealer i bought it from would be in some deep **** for lying on registration info. According to jackalope, I don't have it based on VIN, so that sucks :(

The remote start thing, I did have the hood popped to put washer fluid in it when I got the gas, so I guess I can pop it again and close it with a bit more authority and try again. I can also make sure all the doors are firmly closed as well.

As far as the cruise goes, the DIC does show "Cruise On", but it doesn't hold the speed. At first, I had thought the overspeed setting was causing it to not work, but even with that disabled, nothing, it just slows down when it's engaged and I let off the gas. I also had the increase speed held down to see if that would do anything, and it didn't. But since the CEL is on, maybe that has something to do with it? I'll get that checked and try again.

#8 ·
Unless your dealer got a US 2009.5 (assembled after Oct '08, IIRC) car it doesn't have Bluetooth stock.

GM Canada only got a shipment(s) of Pontiac G8's in 2008 as a 2009 model year.
2009.5 shipments (almost) all of them were shipped to the US.

#9 ·
Well, that answers that on the bluetooth question. Thanks Mike.

I opened and closed all the doors, and opened/closed the hood again, no change with the remote start, but again, the CEL is still on. I'm going to run it by the dealer who sold me the car for them to take a look at it.

#11 ·
Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear about the issues right off the bat . Good luck in the future.

#15 ·
Correct remote start doesn't work if you the CEL is on. Also on the cruise control after you push the button to turn cruise on you then have to use the twist style switch to set the cruise. And last it seems that you have confirmed that your car is not a 2009.5 but the easiest way to do so is check for the cup holders that stick out of the rear set. Only the 9.5s have those.

#16 ·
As far as the cruise goes, the DIC does show "Cruise On", but it doesn't hold the speed. At first, I had thought the overspeed setting was causing it to not work, but even with that disabled, nothing, it just slows down when it's engaged and I let off the gas. I also had the increase speed held down to see if that would do anything, and it didn't. But since the CEL is on, maybe that has something to do with it? I'll get that checked and try again.[/QUOTE]

You still have to set your speed after you turn it on!!:banghead:

#17 ·
I am also with everyone that says if you have CEL on your remote start will not work. When I try and remote start my car and it does not work I know I have a check engine light on and i go directly to my gas cap to tighten it then the CEL goes away after a few mins of driving. Believe me the CEL scared me to death as i got into the car after recently purchasing the car. Guess what i did for 20mins in my work parking lot? Read the sh*t out of the manual like wtf lol. Then it said to check your gas cap and thats what it was.

Welcome to the group, and once you work out the kinks enjoy your ride !!!

#18 ·
The DIC will still show "cruise on" even if it's not activated. It's a two stage system. "on" and "active" I believe.

#19 ·
Ok-- more thoughts. I agree that if the MIL light is set, you "cannot" start your car with the remote function. The car *must* assume that you have a big problem here. It is not going to allow the car to idle unattended. In fact, if a MIL light were to set (after a successful remote start), the car will terminate that 10 min run period by turning itself back off for protection.
Next--I'll guess that the code might be a P0455 (bad gas cap sealing, and which will illuminate the MIL light) condition, since you just gassed up. That's the end of your remote start function until corrected.
On the cruise control--- After you punch the button on the end of the turn signal stock, the cruise control is now in the armed/standby mode. You have to rotate the thumb lever to the set position (when you've reached the speed you want to hold). That's when it will display *active* or something like that, for a moment in the DIC. Pushing the stalk button once(when actually in cruise control), will drop out the cruise control and drop it back to the armed/standby mode again. Hitting it a second time, will turn if off completely.
Before I bought my car, a salesman at a Pontiac dealership, guarantied that (that) particular car did indeed have bluetooth in it. So I proceeded to show *him* that in fact it did not have it *active* in that car. I advised him that he really shouldn't try to mislead any other customers about that either. As stated by others, an by your VIN #, those cars came off the assembly line prior to the installation of the hardware needed, to make that system work correctly.

#20 ·
Ok, so I'm just a moron :embarrassed: I figured out the cruise thing based on what was said, and it works. I wasn't twisting the stalk to "set" to actually activate it. I'm use to just hitting the "on" button and it being on. Ooops :embarrassed:

So the only thing left is to clear the code and get my remote start back.

#22 ·
@Cinosa, if you haven’t done so already, you can call General Motors of Canada and have them research the VIN for recall or special coverage information in regards to the CEL and the fuel cap. I don’t always have access to this type of information for vehicles outside the United States, but I can try.

General Motors of Canada has a toll free telephone number of 1-800-263-3777. They’re available Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 11:30pm EST and Saturday, 7:30am to 6pm EST.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

#23 ·
Cinosa, if you need your CEL cleared ive got my cortex tuner that can clear it for yeah. oh and i have a few spare fog light bulbs i no longer need since i changed over to LED bulbs.

#25 ·
Has anyone figured this one out yet?
I have no cruise control and remote start - this is after a tune, and I have NO lights on my dash board. Been like this for now two years and really pissing me off - I asked the tuner and all I get is the "I do not know".

Help?

#27 ·
Correct, and I do not see anything in the tune that could possibly do this.

#29 ·
For cruise control, get up to speed on the highway, push cruise on DIC says "Cruise on" then rotate down to "activate", nothing happens and the DIC just says "cruise on"

For the remote start, double or single lock the car via remote then push and hold start, 4-way flashers flash once or twice, I hear the fuel pump prime then nothing. I believe when inside the car a dash light comes up and it looks like a car symbol. (It's been a while since I've tried and the car is 30 miles from me)

#31 ·
For RVS an Cruise Control, you *could* have a fault code set, that I feel *would not* display any symbol or info, to let you know anything was wrong. But *would* prevent you from getting either of these 2 items to work correctly. Those fault codes are *B* classified type faults (as in B3006). If you have access to scan/code reader, it would have to be up-level enough to read P-B-an C level codes (to see *if* there are any codes set).
The *red* car display in the IPC, will turn on for any door that is sensed as *not* being latched closed. That alone, would prevent a RVS attempt. Being in the car (if I'm reading that correctly) and you doing something with the RVS, doesn't make any sense to me. I can post up some things for you to see and try, to help TS the problems when your back at the car, if you want.

#33 ·
Thank you very much! I have a blue point hand held scanner but does not do what is specificied above. Can you show me an example of these scanners? I am in the market for one that does these codes. I will look into all of this.

#32 ·
Sounds like a door ajar sensor is malfunctioning or broken...

#34 ·
I just spoke with the man who did all the code readings and there was nothing showing. I guess the next step is to find someone else's tune and reflash it back to stock?

#35 ·
^^^^ I wish I new of a scanner/reader that would do it all (As in P B C an U codes). I own a Inova 3150 (bought in August of 09) To date,I've never had a fault code on the G8. Can't seem to find out if all those codes are obtainable with this unit. Its not mandatory to see if there are any faults, but it makes TS a lot easier.
But you can eliminate some things real easy. (1)--- Roll your drivers door window down and with the door open, verify that (red car icon) is illuminated. Close the door, and verify the the icon goes out (all doors latched correctly). Then hit the lock button on the fob, followed by that holding of the RVS button as you have done before (while standing near the car). If the start cycle won't make it past the parking lights flash, you have a hidden problem. This is of course that you know for a fact that the MIL light was not illuminated on the previous drive cycle. An that the RVS function is known to be set in the *enable* mode, on the customize trip page.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.