Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Guess the G8 needs a cage now.... 11.00@129

12K views 82 replies 32 participants last post by  Posidon42 
#1 ·
Well, after running the 12.0@118 on the stock wheels and tires on 7psi of boost. I got a little excited and decided to borrow some slicks and skinnies and try again.

But then the "Itch for Boost" started, so I thought "Why not get greedy, and turn it up"

Well, I only got three passes in at the track, but here were the results.
I wanted the 10's so bad I could taste it....but came up .006 short :(

11.00@129 (Best ET)
11.10@130 (Best MPH)
11.12@112 (Lifted due to hitting the rev-limiter)

So if anyone wants to know how tough the trannys, rearends, and motors are in these wicked lil sedans. She has 4,200 miles of pure abuse on this poor car and its never had a hick up.

100% stock motor (no cam, only changed the spark plugs)
100% stock tranny (not even a converter)
100% stock weight (plus turbos, intercooler, camera, laptop, and myself)

Only thing done to the car is the following.

- Custom Turbo Kit by HOB
- Magnaflow CatBack

I don't know how much power the car makes, cause I have only tuned it on the street, and the track. But I am gonna put it on the dyno tonight to see what she is making.

It made 449rwhp and 521rwtq when it was at 7psi of boost with the stock mufflers. (Haven't dyno'ed it since the MagnaFlow was put on it, but it seemed to pick up quite a bit even at 7psi) I am guessing she is in the mid 600's now based on the MPH it ran. Sure makes for a fun ride with 3 or 4 people in the car. :)

Sure is nice to drive to the track, run some good passes, then load up the friends back up and drive to dinner. These cars are flipping amazing!

Think she will go 10's on the stock motor and tranny? :):gr_devil:

See less See more
#2 ·
well if your confident in the tranny/motor then go for it but i would start upgrading them

oh and BTW, i envy you

#8 ·
Its getting turned back down to 7.5psi just so it will literally live forever, since its already got thousands of miles at that boost level and has been fine. So until something breaks, no need to mess with it.

Its fast enough at 7.5psi to beat a C6 from a standstill or the highway on the commute to and from work, so thats all that matters. :) Trust me, plenty have tried....all have failed. (They are obviously stock, but still its funny)

Awesome times man! Get us some vids of that thing.
I am gonna upload them in the next couple days, just been busy at work. They will be up on youtube. (Plus I just dynoed it, so I have video of that now)

Holy crap! Those are some sick ass times. Any more info on the turbo kit?
Twin Turbos (Bolt right in place of the cats)
Self Contained (No oil lines, no Coolant lines, no cool down time)
Variable Vain (No wastegates, No boost controllers, wicked quick spool)
Front mount intercooler
60# injectors
BAP

Pretty simple to install, if you can bolt on mufflers you can install these things. 4 bolts on each turbo and its mounted and done, then just hook up the piping. If the car had to come in for a recall or something, I could have the whole thing off and back to stock in maybe 2-3 hours tops working slow. Literally not one thing gets cut other then the plastic inner fender liner to let the boost tubes through.

All the information will be up on the HOB website, once dyno time at 7.5psi with the MagnaFlow gets done. Since that is seems to be the most common boost level will be, and what most people will want. (Remember it made 449rwhp 521rwtq with the chocked up stock mufflers, and resonator at 7.5psi)

I'll post tonights Dynograph up tomorrow in the Dyno/Tune section. After leaving the dyno, it literally will break the tires loose and get squirly from a 65mph roll on the highway. (With the stock tires, lol)

Thanks for the compliments guys, means a lot!

#5 ·
Holy crap! Those are some sick ass times. Any more info on the turbo kit?

#6 ·
I would love to have your issue.

#9 ·
What are the prices looking to be? There web site doesn't have much on it? How do you adjust boost? Any more info on the turbo' themselves?

#10 ·
You can adjust boost with a normal boost controller if you wanted. I am sure Turbosmart eBoost 2 would be pretty sweet. But if you know you are going to run say 7.5psi then you might as well do that with the controller that is built into the turbo mechanically. Saves you the headache of messing with a boost controller.

All the info will be up on the HOB website soon. Pricing will be in the same area as any other twin turbo system for GM cars. (Just won't have to spend 20+ hours installing it)

#11 ·
I take it that these turbos have an internal wastegate (rather than external). Can't really have NO wastegate, as boost will continue to build...it's what is known as a positive feedback system, and is inherently unstable.

Look forward to further info...

#13 ·
They are variable vain. They control the flow to the exhaust impeller just like the OEMS do in diesel trucks.

How exactly does a self-contained turbo work? How reliable are they?
They use ultra high speed bearings, and an oil reservoir that brings the oil to the bearings. They military uses them for various applications so you know they gotta last. Change the oil every 30k miles and they will live a very long life span.

Gotta think, they don't have to worry about being starved for oil when you turn the car off. They don't have to worry about contamination of the oil from the engine, and the turbo bearings aren't going to add as much heat to the oil as the friction of oil supporting crank and rods is. So all and all, kinda the same reasons that superchargers are all self contained.

#14 · (Edited)
I was 100% sold on the magnacharger, now I'm gonna have to look at this and see if I'm still thinking the same way!..........

Yep just looked. Magnaflow is carb aproved and the turbos would go in place of the cats. Since I'm in CA Magnacharger is about my only choice, not a bad one though.

I bet it won't be long befor the pullys on the superchargers get smaller!

#18 ·
Correct, the stock cats have been replaced with the turbos.
However there has been talks about getting a mid-pipe made that will have hi-flow cats down stream of the turbos.

And no the Maggy is not a bad choice at all, they are very very nice units, and make great power out of the gate. Gotta love their TQ curve :)

#17 ·
Do you have a slip breakdown? Just curious as to the 60' with the slicks. Also what kind of slicks were they?

#20 ·
I left the slip at work, but if I remember correct it was 1.7
Not really gonna get much better then that with the stock converter. It takes about 1,700-2,000 rpm to get the turbos to "light off" and sadly the stock TQ converter is so tight, I couldn't get it to that RPM at the line. So basically the light turned green, and I just punched it.

Best ever 60' with the stock tires was 2.2 average of 2.4 due to spin. So the slicks helped tame that instant rush of TQ.

#28 ·
Most NHRA tracks are going to require you to have a roll bar, do you have plans for that ?
Well, duh! It's the title of this thread.

#29 ·
I use EFILive, street tuning and track tuning. The use the dyno to verify power numbers. These turbos load so fast on the street, it would be nearly impossible to get a good tune from just dyno time.

The goal is to get some base tunes in both EFILive and HPTuners to give to people so that they can at least drive to their tuners, and get the final tunes done for their cars.

Well, duh! It's the title of this thread.
Absolutely no plans on getting a cage.... I just thought it was funny that a basically stock sedan with a simple bolt on, can get thrown out of the track for not having a cage.

#32 ·
Impossible or Possible...
Make the G8 run consistently in the 10's all day and still maintain incredible reliability. I'd love to get to that level and still have the motor and everything last for what ever the claimed engine life it (I think 200,000 miles). Obviously a the rear-end would have to be heavily up graded.

#38 ·
If not, I guess I'll settle for mid to low 12's. :)

#44 ·
Have you checked your injector duty cycle's? You have to be close to running out of fuel with the stock system at those levels.

#46 ·
I am sure he isn't running the stocker injectors at that power level. Unless he has some bigass fuel pump slamming fuel through those guys or something, which isn't the best for drivability.

#50 ·
I own and operate a business dealing in this stuff so I usually am. :driving:

#53 ·
E.A. I hope I didn't take your thread too far off topic. Just had to explain a few things. Keep turning and burning on the build. I am sure everyone is looking forward to some pictures. :)

#56 ·
A couple of observations from a new guy....I'm excited that HOB is so close to me (OKC)....I somehow was not aware of their existense. I assumed anyone that knew G8's (Tune Time, New Era, Vector...I'm sure I'm forgetting someone) were basically in the extreme (read: extremely far from me) areas of the country. Secondly, is this system still in the R&D stages or is it available to the power hungry public yet? A supercharger has already been mentioned in this thread but someone chime in on how you would rate this turbo setup against the supercharger choices. I like the simplicity of this....it sounds easier to install/uninstall than a supercharger. Then again, I've never installed either. Do we know a cost yet?

Also - I can't thank all of you guys enough who are going out on the edge to find the performance limitations of these cars....saves the rest of us a lot of heartache!

#57 ·
I couldn't get it to that RPM at the line.
There is a rpm brake torque limit in the tune....don't know if you got that changed...

Nice power numbers...sounds like an awesome ride!

#58 ·
I know that is in a lot of other GM ECM's, though I can't seem to find it in the G8's computer. Do you know where it specifically is?

So I guess the answer is "NO" I have not changed that yet. LOL.

#59 ·
Here's screen shot of it in HP Tuners (stall Torque Management), it engages and keeps the rpms low I couldn't go past 1500 or so on a brake torque..now with it at 2500 I can go past it:

I don't know where it would map to in the binary.

Attachments

#61 ·
Hmmm, I have no such options like that in EFILive. However I can brake TQ the snot out of the car if needed. Hence the Burnouts in 2nd gear with ease, even with slicks. (Thats whats on the video)

I would very much like to see extensive video of regular and highway driving. This car is pretty incredible. I'd like to know how much suspension modification you'd need to do to make this car really usable on the track with this kind of power. What would you have to do to run ~ 12 psi regularly?
Do you have 94 octane in your area? Its all gonna depend on how good your tuner is, and how good the gas in your area is. We all know that 7.5psi is SAFE pretty much anywhere in the country with these cars. Pushing it past that leaves it up to the two things I mentioned above.

#63 ·
93 Octane, and the LS3 with a Manual....and this turbo system.....

I can only imagine how amazing that would be! The fast spool, would really come in handy with a stick car.

Guess we will find out soon enough! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.