Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Need some help with exhaust

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  todds87ss 
#1 ·
I used to own a 00 mustang gt. I put in a X pipe and loved the sound that was the only mod I did on that car and it was louder then stock but nothing over the top that is what I want for my car.

I have a 09 g8 GT...fully stock exhaust...I did try some violators axleback and didnt care for the sound...it was way too loud inside the car.

so basically I want it to sound good on the outside but not have that humm on the inside.

probably stick with some kind of catback system, maybe in the future possibly do some headers.

Right now I have cortex tune and rotofab intake.

what do u recommend?

#2 ·
I would recommend solo axle backs. Not too loud and they won't have the hum on the inside because there is no drone.

#4 ·
The wrap won't do much... (if anything at all)
There's one company that will guarantee no drone is Corsa. Have them on my GXP and never had a issue. Many road trips to vegas and it was very pleasant... Like 2lazy said.. I've read solo doesn't drone, I never heard them so I can't say.

#6 ·
Solos don't drone either. Very happy with mine. Good luck.

#9 ·
#11 ·
#12 ·
Honestly your not going to get a noticable perfomance gain with a catback system. I have had solos and Pypes so far. Pypes is horrible. Solo is good until AFM turns. Sold both sets. You might be happier installing some headers. I just installed headers with the stock cat back and love the additional sound Inside the car when getting on it. Driving normal sounds stock. You can pick up some reasonably priced kooks mids for the same price as catbacks. You will need a tune though.

#13 ·
Catback will not net any power gains as the Cats, or the neckdown into them, are the restriction.

#15 ·
LT's are the best bang for the buck when it comes to our exhaust. Solid gains everywhere in the powerband, and easily measurable at the track. If you want something with cats that would provide gains and exhaust volume, hands down, spend the money in Kooks mids with HFC's. No CB would net you any gains. The Kooks mids are te best bang for the bug if you want to have Headers with HFC's.

With headers and Solos the car would be extremely loud, especially with LTs. Get something like Hooker Maxflows (no need for a cb unless you want to spend money), remove the resonators and throw an x pipe, And youll be all set for power and sound. (Tune required with headers)

If you want more aggression without being obnoxoius everywhere the Magnapacks I have will provide that. Magnapacks are more resonators than mufflers, theyre not as loud in this cars like they're in the stangs, but when paired with Lt's in this engines as well as LS2's, they deliver a mean sounding tone that is also controlled by thrrottle, they freaking loud at wot, kind of straight pipes, but they're less loud while cruising, but not as quiet as a full muffler.

Have fun.

Sent from my Nexus S4G | 4.1.1 AOSP JellyButt v2.4

#16 ·
LT's are the best bang for the buck when it comes to our exhaust. Solid gains everywhere in the powerband, and easily measurable at the track. If you want something with cats that would provide gains and exhaust volume, hands down, spend the money in Kooks mids with HFC's. No CB would net you any gains. The Kooks mids are te best bang for the bug if you want to have Headers with HFC's.

With headers and Solos the car would be extremely loud, especially with LTs. Get something like Hooker Maxflows (no need for a cb unless you want to spend money), remove the resonators and throw an x pipe, And youll be all set for power and sound. (Tune required with headers)

If you want more aggression without being obnoxoius everywhere the Magnapacks I have will provide that. Magnapacks are more resonators than mufflers, theyre not as loud in this cars like they're in the stangs, but when paired with Lt's in this engines as well as LS2's, they deliver a mean sounding tone that is also controlled by thrrottle, they freaking loud at wot, kind of straight pipes, but they're less loud while cruising, but not as quiet as a full muffler.

Have fun.

Sent from my Nexus S4G | 4.1.1 AOSP JellyButt v2.4
I do LOVE the way your G8 sounds with the Magnapacks. I am torn on purchasing another set of axlebacks (maganpacks) to alternate between the two sounds. lol

Do you have any drone with those?

#20 ·
The packs are center/center, they don't have offset because they're just bullet style mufflers/resonators. check Magnaflow 14416's. they're similar to SLP LM2's, but the packs are 2.5" in/out and inside whereas the LM2's are just 2"
Here is back when i was running Kooks mids, she's a tad louder with LT's everywhere.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41611

The Magnaflow 14419's are also Magnapacks, same enclosure size, but they're 3" in/out and inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.