Pontiac G8 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone from Minnesota Pt. 4

42K views 931 replies 30 participants last post by  Agose25 
#1 ·
#4 ·
^ Nice! Thanks for getting round 4 started almost seamlessly. You guys are quite chatty in the Midwest! :)

Btw...I've been newly assigned to moderate this subsection of the forum. So if anyone needs anything please don't hesitate to PM me anytime.
Sounds good, Welcome to the MN thread! :)

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
JohnnyG8,

Carl does not dyno tune, he just street tunes. You can request it but it will cost more. I would actually just contact Carl @ cjtunes.com/ and see what he says... I havnt had Carl tune my car in a long time so maybe he's changed what he does...
Johnny, what Brent said above is true as far as I know....he street tunes. If you want a Dyno tune, you can ask him to join you at a Dyno, but I am guessing that will cost a few bucks more.

Thread #4, lets see how fast we can get to #5 :p

#6 ·
What is the difference between the two? ...Or more so, how do you street tune? lol

#7 ·
Dyno is how much power your car is making, that doesnt do any good if you cant use the power on the street.

Street tune takes about a week, the shop will hook up a WB in your exhasut to monitor AFR and get that dialed in, they then data log the car for hours and will make adjustments to the trans tune and engine tune for making the most power on the street as possible.

I myself went out and bought the HPTuners program so I could adjust anything without going to a tuner each time... I then found that it was alot to learn and got Rick Crawford to tune my car which I'm very happy with. Nice thing about Rick as well as Carl as that they both use HPTuners so Rick can sent me a new tune and I just copy over the changes and click "SAve As" and BAM... a New TUne to flash! YOu can find HPTuner units used pretty cheap. $250 or so for the basic unit.

#8 ·
Thats awesome. I feel like that is a much better judge than a dyno. I don't need to increase my ego any with my car's numbers..I just want it to be an animal around the city! lol

Next question..is there somewhere I can go online to buy everything I would need for a cam swap? For example, I am probably going to buy a cam through Rick (DoD delete) but then I still need everything else that goes along with it lol.

#9 ·
Thats awesome. I feel like that is a much better judge than a dyno. I don't need to increase my ego any with my car's numbers..I just want it to be an animal around the city! lol

Next question..is there somewhere I can go online to buy everything I would need for a cam swap? For example, I am probably going to buy a cam through Rick (DoD delete) but then I still need everything else that goes along with it lol.
superchargerconnection.commm and paceperformance. I got mine from enginepowersystems.commm, but I ordered my cam through them as well so it was a package deal. Next cam I get will be a Rick Crawford spec though.

#10 ·
So then from one of those sites I just need to buy the DoD Delete package? Then I should be set for everything?

Yeah I am in the process of talking to Rick right now about that

#11 ·
So then from one of those sites I just need to buy the DoD Delete package? Then I should be set for everything?

Yeah I am in the process of talking to Rick right now about that
I will have to check them out to see what they come with. Maybe Rick can suggest a place as well where to buy from.

#12 ·
I got all the DOD delete stuff from Greg @ Pace. I have the full list still, if you want it.

I too, like Brent, got he Cam/Springs from EPS.

#17 ·
I would love that if you could send me everything I would need!

Yeah I'll see what Rick suggests for me to do. Right now he is leaning towards Lunati 219/232 .625/.599 111+0 LSA ... But seeing how I have zero knowledge about cams and what those numbers mean (lol :( ) I figure I will trust him!

#14 ·
If you don't want them, I might pick them up and put some cheapo summer tires on them for the Durango in the Summer so I don't have to wear the Cooper A/T down.

#16 ·
Those with Cooper Tires = $600. Then sell your 15" for a hundo or so to recoup.

Cheaper than getting 15" tires ;).

#22 ·
The surge that you talk about is...like going to stop at a red light, your foot is on the brake pedal..then once you're stopped and let off the pedal the car surges forward without you pressing the gas whatsoever.

Or is it something a little different?

#23 ·
The surge that you talk about is...like going to stop at a red light, your foot is on the brake pedal..then once you're stopped and let off the pedal the car surges forward without you pressing the gas whatsoever.

Or is it something a little different?
Depends on how bad, I've read reports that even stopped the cam is pushing against the brakes moving the car even though brakes are to the ground. Mine was coming to a stop it would push against the brakes. I dont have that issue anymore though.

#24 ·
So Carl was able to tune out the problem that you had?

Ryan, what's your surging like in your car?

#25 ·
Parts list incase anyone else is interested:
3 bolt cam sprocket
3 ARP cam sprocket bolts
LS2 chain dampener
LS7 Lifter set
LS3 MLS head gaskets
ARP head bolt set
exhaust manifold gaskets
LS2 valley cover
PCV dirty air hose
Valve cover PCV plug
Lifter guides
GM Balancer bolt.
Optional (I did these, as added insurance and hp)
LS3 intake valves (8) (Hallow Stem, lighter weight) - 213.67
13702-KIT Trunion Kit - $120.00
(1) SD3SR602 IWIS Timing Chain - $49.99 (http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-dickey-parts-center/sd3sr602)

#26 ·
With my cam, you can feel the car push a little at a stop sign/light, but it isn't bad. The car stops just fine. Once and a while, it will lurch a tad when shifting down to 1st when coming to a stop. But once stopped, you're stopped for good, it's not gonna push you into a car.

To elminate this, I could get a stall (which I might do next year), but it's not a big bother to me at all.

#30 ·
Alright, thanks for all the help guys! I really do appreciate it.

Where have you guys found HPT for sale?

#32 ·
Sweet, I'll have to keep my eyes open on those sites as well!

#35 ·
I believe I have already asked this..but I can't find the answers on the other Minnesota part forums..

So I will ask one more time. Where did you go to get your cam installed? And would you go back to the same people for something again?

#39 ·
Ahh alright, so that would likely be a hard guy to have install a cam for me. Thats awesome for you though! It's so difficult to find a quality mechanic around here that is cheap

#40 ·
Yeah it took a while to get the ducks in a row with him. I would highly suggest you send your heads off to get worked as the heads have to come off anyway and will save you in labor later on if you decide.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide App

#41 ·
It's more fun if you do it on your own. Then when you are bored with that cam, you can just swap it yourself. I had never done anything more than a cai when I did mine. It was a fun project. Done 2 on mine and one on a buddy's car. You may want to pm mnnatives as he found a guy in Lakeville that does good work cheap. The tuning is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I have wasted a lot of money on that part. Rick or Pat G will be the way to go on that. They know these cars inside and out. My $.02.
http://www.one-guys-garage.com/

#42 ·
I would love to have my heads milled and ported..but I just don't think I can come up with the extra cash right now to do so..maybe that is a next winter project to do lol.

I would be so scared to do a cam swap on my own (or even with someone thats done one) just because of the fact that if you F something up..you're the only one to blame and the only one that could've made a mistake. Just would be too nerve racking imo, but I would be open to it if people are wanting to show me what to do :D

I think I will hopefully end up going with Rick for the tuning..just depends on if I can find one thats selling for a good price that I can afford lol. Man..I gotta say doing this major amount of work on a car, those dollar signs just keep on adding up waay too quickly!

#43 ·
Spendy hobby...and i can say from experience, you will only want more. My car does not feel fast anymore. Need another fix now. Looking at a 100 shot, but I would guess filling that bottle gets spendy.

#44 ·
It sure it! But everyone has a hobby so I find it perfectly fine.

Always got to remember..someone is always faster lol

#45 ·
Call that guy at the link i sent you. Mike said he was very good and not too expensive.

#46 ·
I will for sure. I think that is the TT GTO that was at Ricekillers a few times..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.