Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Dealer quote for all 4 corner brake job.

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  hayabusa160 
#1 ·
Including labor,turning rotors...etc

Original GM pads =$509 + tax. Too high?

Durastop pads = $300 + tax. Durastop anygood?

#2 ·
I got a set of Hawk pads for the fronts for 90$ including tax and shipping. My mechanic is installing them for 50 bucks, which includes turning the rotors. Even if the rotors need to be replaced, he only charges 50 bucks an axel. I would go to the brake section and check out what others are doing for brakes. Good luck!

Oh yeah, there are four things a man needs in life:

A good woman to spend your life with
A best friend who loves you no matter what
A good butcher who saves the best cut for you
A good mechanic who loves cars and respects your wallet

#7 ·
Just got my brake stuff today:
Centric F and R preferred rotors
Centric F and R posi-quiet ceramic pads
$395 shipped from rockauto

Russel stainless brake lines $125 from maryland speed

ATE Super blue racing brake fluid from tirerack, $22 shipped

labor will cost me a case of beer, i will be doing most of the work, but at my friends house on his lift in his garage and his tools.

I always thought it was:
1. a woman thats great with the kids.
2. a woman thats great in bed.
3. a woman thats a great cook.
4. to never let these 3 women meet each other!

#3 ·
I replaced all 4 rotors w/ better aftermarket slotted rotors (DBA/powerslot), swapped the original lines for russel stainless, replaced the pads w/ hawk ceramics, and flushed the fluid - had my mechanic do the install - total $950 including all parts/labor

You're talking about just swapping the pads and machining the rotors for more than 1/2 that - yeah that's expensive

#4 ·
Durastop pads are good. Usually they are ceramic. In Canada they come with a lifetime parts only warranty.

I got a set of Hawk pads for the fronts for 90$ including tax and shipping. My mechanic is installing them for 50 bucks, which includes turning the rotors. Even if the rotors need to be replaced, he only charges 50 bucks an axel. I would go to the brake section and check out what others are doing for brakes. Good luck!

So $90 parts plus $50 lab = $140 for one axle

OP's post was only $150/axle. Sounds like a good deal to me...

Also, any shop out there should not charge any extra labour if the rotors end up needing replacement. They've already got the rotor off to machine it. They have to put a rotor back on to the car one way or another. Either the one they just removed to machine, or a brand new one. There is no extra labour involved.

#5 ·
I'm not familiar with DuraStop, but I believe they're made by ACDelco. I posed the question a long time ago on a separate thread, of who makes the OEM brake pads and have yet to receive an answer. I can't speak pertaining to the difference is between ACDelco's DuraStop and what comes originally from General Motors. Five hundred dollars plus tax from a stealership is somewhat reasonable, all things considered. GL!!!

#6 ·
#8 ·
guy is asking about getting a brake job at a dealer and people compare it to trading a buddy a case of beer- come on now, lol

I know the guy who makes the pads so he is giving me pads for free in exchange for a hot dog, and my mechanic buddy is installing them in exchange for a gatorade so its a win-win for me

#9 ·
sometimes its nice to compare a dealer quote to what people can get when they do it themselves. just throwing more info out there for him to make an educated decision.

i dont post often but i try to be helpful when i do. although i know you were mostly sarcastic, and its just an online forum. i dont find your post helpful, i atleast tried.

#11 ·
my post isnt helpful at all, thats the point of it
neither is saying your going to trade your buddy a case of beer or someone saying you can buy the parts for $xx and do it yourself- thats not what he is asking- he is asking if it sounds reasonable.

Everyone on this earth knows you will pay a premium at a dealership, so you cant compare a friend trading labor and buying aftermarket parts online to getting OEM at a dealer.
The benefit- alot of local shops are idiots and they lie, MY OWN "FRIEND" who I knew for 17 years did work for me on my truck and he didnt do as he said, he took a short cut- so you know what? If I aint turning the wrench Im going to the most legitimate vendor I can find because you might pay more but at least you dont get the reach around.

#12 ·
Durastop pads are good. Usually they are ceramic. In Canada they come with a lifetime parts only warranty.

So $90 parts plus $50 lab = $140 for one axle

OP's post was only $150/axle. Sounds like a good deal to me...

Also, any shop out there should not charge any extra labour if the rotors end up needing replacement. They've already got the rotor off to machine it. They have to put a rotor back on to the car one way or another. Either the one they just removed to machine, or a brand new one. There is no extra labour involved.
my post isnt helpful at all, thats the point of it
neither is saying your going to trade your buddy a case of beer or someone saying you can buy the parts for $xx and do it yourself- thats not what he is asking- he is asking if it sounds reasonable.

Everyone on this earth knows you will pay a premium at a dealership, so you cant compare a friend trading labor and buying aftermarket parts online to getting OEM at a dealer.
The benefit- alot of local shops are idiots and they lie, MY OWN "FRIEND" who I knew for 17 years did work for me on my truck and he didnt do as he said, he took a short cut- so you know what? If I aint turning the wrench Im going to the most legitimate vendor I can find because you might pay more but at least you dont get the reach around.
So for a $10 premium the OP can get his brakes done at the dealership & have a lifetime (parts only) warranty on the pads & have a brake pad that performs equivalently to the OEM pad. A pad that's D3EA tested/certified & manufactured by the same company that makes the OEM pads!

#13 ·
I wouldn't put the stock crap back on my car if they did it for free. Sounds expensive IMO but dealers love to rape you on labor. GM rotors suck..their pads are decent.. will give them that.

For peace of mind at least you will get a warranty through the dealer.. You will need it.. I'm sure the rotors will warp again like mine did ...Twice!! Ended up going after market DBAs w/ Hawk pads. Was like night & day.

#14 ·
I appreciate the input and I have a coworker who offered to do the job, but insists that I buy new rotors because of the mileage on these. I haven't taken time to research the cost of rotors be it original or after market.The reason I'm thinking of having the dealer do it is I need the trans flushed plus other service and would like to get it all done at the same time. This is my DD and the less time down the better.

#15 ·
509 sounds about right for a brake job. esp front and back. when i was working at honda we charged like 220 for front brakes.

a local machine shop charges 12 bucks to cut a rotor plus the down time id rather do the brake job myself and replace the rotors with oem replacments and better pads. it will end up less then 500 still

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.