Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Hardened pushrods

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  ExpLiciTSainT 
#1 ·
Are they necessary for DOD delete/cam swap? And if so what size? I see 7.4" and 7.425" on sigs. Thanks!

#3 ·
****, would 7.400 be to short for stock heads ? i said 7.400 when i ordered my DOD delete kit today with a 229/236 cam, i'm not doing anything to my heads, and thought 7.400 were ideal, i'd be doing the rocker trunions as well, so should i change to 7.425's, or the 7.400's would be fine ?

#7 ·
7.400 is going to be too short. You can't mill the heads with that cam unless you run valve reliefs.

Pheonix, at the most they will just get a clean-up cut for a good sealing surface. You need the compression to stay where it is. If you are going boost, it isn't worth it. If you really want to bump it, get thinner Cometic gaskets. .040-.032" for a compression bump. That way you can go back to .051" with boost. Plus thinner head gaskets give a tighter quench for better knock resistance with pump gas.

#4 ·
^ That's a good question. Also Rick, if I'm not Procharging for a year or so would it be best just to go with 7.4 for now since your milling and porting LS3 heads for me then switch to 7.425 when it's time?

#5 ·
Interesting, I thought they had to be measured for your setup. I had mine custom measured from the machine shop. I'll have to ask the length.

#6 ·
I had 7.425s with my cam swap and no milling. 226/236. ^ It is best to check.

#8 ·
Thanks a lot guys, i sent an email to Texas Speed.

#9 · (Edited)
Found this pic online, along with a description that says that if LS7 lifters are used, the pushrod has to be 0.50 shorter ? I ordered 16 Ls7 lifters, and that's why i thought 7.40 was ideal, don't know if the stock lifters are the same lenght or shape as the LS7's.

LS7 lifter on the left, LS1 lifter on the right.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/hfish1212/DSCF4015.jpg

#11 ·
7.425" but depending on cam from what I gather

#12 ·
Yea I had to rethink my hole build because of the cam I got. I got the tsp 231/236 cam. And I dont wanna fly cut.
So im doing a 402 stroker build with ported heads and ricks ported manifold
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide App

#13 ·
I just emailed TSP this morning, and hopefully i'll be able to change my order, and get 7.425's instead.

#14 ·
#15 ·
Pat G spec'd my cam out and also stated to get hardened 7.4 pushrods. My cam isn't radical though, and my heads are stock.

#16 ·
What's your cam spec? I'm getting a 218/230 Pat G cam but going 7.425"

#17 ·
TSP confirmed this morning the change to 7.425's. Thanks Rick and everybody for the recommendation.

#18 ·
Talked to my machinist today and he mentioned you want to get a proper measurement. Mine ended up being 7.450 due to the cam. I have no lifter tick at all, even with LS7 lifters. He mentioned you need to check pre-load and that even the same cams can be different depending on how they are ground. He said to use an adjustable rod to figure out the correct length and preload.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.