Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Magnaflow 12468 or SOLO J-Pipes?

6K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  mlittleton 
#1 ·
Currently I have the Magnaflow Street Series 16887 Catback. I didn't like the drone and volume of the mufflers that came with the catback so I switched them out for Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. Things definitely improved but I still get a drone and vibration inside the cabin at low RPMs between 1000-1500 when cruising in higher gears. I still have stock manifolds and cats currently.

I was thinking of replacing the small mid muffler on the catback with the larger Magnaflow 12468 Tru-X muffler that was introduced by Pat G.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/displayapplications.asp?partnumber=12468

But since the Street Series catback already has an x-pipe near the cats would adding a second x-pipe via the Tru-X muffler cause issues flow wise?

I'm hoping this would be ok as I'm looking to reduce volume a little more and drone as well.

My last resort would be doing Solo j-pipes on the mufflers instead.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
From what I've been reading on the forum if you already have a exhaust system and just want to reduce the drone then order some J pipes and have them installed on your current set up. I have magnaflows right now but I will be changing mine veerrrrryyyyy soon.

#9 ·
another option is the dynomax VT. Quiet idle, voice when you want it and no drone.

#11 ·
I've decided to go with the Magnaflow 12468 to replace the current mid muffler. After doing more research it seems to be the one that will quiet things down a bit and also eliminate some drone. Looks like having two x-pipes in the exhaust system should be no issue performance wise.

I'll report back after I get it installed which won't be for a while.

#14 ·
Quick I did of my Magnaflow 16887 at idle with my Iphone

#15 ·
Thanks Silvereagle,
Exactly what I was looking for, would like to get a system this spring that sounds a bit more aggressive at idle. Stock system sounds like a Cobalt until you jump on it. How bad is that freeway drone everybody is always talking about ?

#16 ·
How bad is that freeway drone everybody is always talking about ?
It's a matter of opinion.

Nothing drones more than straight pipes out the back with no mufflers.
Made my damn eyeballs vibrate while driving....not good!

J-Pipes and Magnaflow 12468 are 2 added exhaust bits that can help lower or eliminate drone. I used the 12468 in place of the middle muffler, and have Pypes axlebacks....no drone ;)

#18 ·
Not noticeable for me personally, but my wife complained about "too much engine noise" when driving up mountain passes in the 1800 rpm range in lowest gear. Otherwise daily driving to work, the sounds is lovely. I love my Magnaflow, the X-pipe config with the mid resonator gives it the slight exotic sound I like instead of the American V8 cam lope sound that some prefer (I think it sounds like an untuned engine with little refinement IMHO)

But to date this is the meanest sounding G8 I've heard

#20 ·
Had the Magnaflow 12468 installed and it greatly reduced my drone at 1500 rpm and below in higher gears. I'm really glad I finally got this done.

Now that I look back, I pretty much wasted money on the Magnaflow catback as I've now replaced the mufflers and the mid resonator. If I had to do it again I should have kept the stock catback and just replaced the mufflers, the mid resonator, and put in an x-pipe. Would have been way cheaper.

#21 ·
How about just getting a proper tune and deleting AFM? Problem solved.

#23 ·
Alrighty then! Sub'd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.