Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Help deciding between 19" and 20" Nurburgrings

3K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  jasonvt 
#1 ·
I have 20" Camaro SS wheels now. Ive had them about 18 months and ready for a change. I love the looks, but want something different.
From what I have found, the 20" TSWs are 23 lb and 23 lb F/R. The 19s are 20.75 lbs. So, the 20s are 10 lbs more total. Most tires Ive looked up are another 8 lbs more or so for the 20s, so 18 lbs more than the 19s.
Im looking for opinions on whether you think the looks of the 20s is worth the extra weight. Cost is about the same because where the 20" wheels cost more, the 19" tires cost more.
If I go with 19s, Ill probably get 245s all the way around because 275/19s are a lot more $ than the 245 - not worth it.
If I go with 20s, Ill keep the same 245/275 size that I have now.
Feel free to correct me on the weights, Im going by what Ive read.
For those of you that went with the 19s, do you wish you had gotten the 20s?

#2 ·
20's.. In the long run cheaper tires lol

#3 ·
19s - more toward performance
20s - more towards show

#4 ·
If I go with 19s, should I stick with the stock 245 size tires? Or do most peaoper go for a wider rear tire?

#7 ·
do you want a staggered set up??

if so get wider wheels for the back as well

#5 ·
Im looking into the same swap on my new 09.. Seems harder to find a matching set of 19" tires with the right rear width

#6 ·
I'm surprised that a tire for the 20in rim is so much heavier than a 19in rims tire. Shouldn't the outside diameter be the same? My 20in setup is several pounds lighter than stock. And I'm running a 285 on the back.

Your camaro wheels weigh a ton and you should see a performance gain even if you stick with 20s.

#10 ·
20" if you care about tire cost. :)

#14 ·
I keep reading this. To what extent is it true. I did the math with weights from discount tire and the 19s are 7.3 lbs total lighter... 1.8 lb per corner. Is that noticeable?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#15 ·
1.8 lbs unsprung wt ~ 18 lbs of sprung wt (rule of thumb - 10:1 ratio)...x4 wheels...so it does add up to quite a bit. Also consider the rotational inertia difference between 19/20s...

FWIW I have the 19s (staggered/275s out back) and was quite surprised that I could feel/notice as much difference as I did relative to the stock wheels...though GXP wheels might be made of lead...

#18 ·
I thought that too, but most of the ones I checked out are about the same for any given size. I looked at generals, falkens, Conti

#19 ·
If that 7 lbs makes that much of a difference, wouldnt it be better to go with 4 19x8s with 4 245/40s? that would be 8 lbs lighter than the staggered 19s.

#20 ·
Technically yeah...but there's obviously a trade off between less weight/more tire contact in terms of handling/performance. A 245 combo may be lighter but it isn't going to outperform a 275 staggered combo for grip.

Ask me how I know lol ;)

#21 ·
After seeing Sunders and matthewo's pictures, Im considering 18s too.
Itd be about $400 less for a set of 18s with tires than the 19s or 20s.
About the same weight as the 19s since the wheels weigh less, but the tires weigh more.

#24 ·
20's are not going to kill your performance if you get the right set of 20s. My car went faster in 1/4 with my 20's then it did with my stock 19's with no other mods. My 20s weigh less than my stock 19's even with a 285 tire out back. They also have the same outside diameter of 26.7 as stock so that whole rotational inertia thing doesn't factor. Sure they have a stiffer sidewall which adds a touch more NVH to the ride, but that is only on crappy roads. Besides that they corner better. I haven't bent a rim from a pot hole or crappy road.

#26 ·
As you know there are many opinions and most everyone is happy with their 18s, 19s or 20s. What is more critical? looks? cost? I am going to the Nurburgring 18s..probably in the Spring. Perceptually they look larger than their size and overall they (wheels/tires) should be cheaper in the long run than the larger sized combos.

#27 ·
Thats my thought on the 18s too. But i do love how my camaro 20s look.....

#29 ·
Honestly man, IMO, get what looks the best to you. I tried to rationalize the weight savings and the extra ounce of performance, but in the end, I'm glad I got what I did because I'm happy looking at it everyday.

#30 ·
The TSW Nurburgring is a great choice no matter what size you run with! The 20" fitment offers a nice offset front and rear for the G8s while the 19" fitment offsets something a bit more aggressive but still looks super clean on the car! The 18" options seems to be a great winter set up and popular squared fitment. In the end its totally up to you and what you think looks best on the car! If I can be of any help, please let me know..and GOOD LUCK!

#31 ·
I prefer the 18's personally. I'm contemplating a set for my new Mustang although I do love the brembo wheels. I would figure the 18's would clear my brembos but then I would have to buy tires too....

If not the 18's then do the 19's.

#32 ·
Zodiac- it is tough to NOT mod vehicles...even brand spanking new ones? huh ! :)

Jason- are all these comments helping your decision? lol

#33 ·
Unbelievably so. I want to tune so damn bad but ECM's can be checked like the Camaro, at least the G8 didn't have a flash counter. I'm probably going to be getting the FRPP Pro Cal tuner and maybe 3.73 gears or 4.10s after the holidays. And hopefully a good deal pops up on these wheels.....

I know the dilemma you are in OP it's tough as hell. Maybe I'll get some forgestar f14's lol.

#36 ·
Agose... How do your hankook tires hook up?

#38 ·
Machined faced 18s. Cant wait to get them! Discount tire was great to work with

#39 ·
Machined faced 18s. Cant wait to get them! Discount tire was great to work with

Nice! I am jealous. That is exactly what I will be getting, however, I will be getting 9.5 widths so I can run 275s all around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.