Pontiac G8 Forum banner

To cam or not to cam .. that is the question

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  todds87ss 
#1 ·
hi, my name is Ricky, and this is my first post here, first off i'm gonna introduce my cars, i'm currently living in Saudi arabia which is located in middle east, and i LOVE the G8, and GM sells it in saudi arabia as "Chevy lumina SSV" and they stopped selling it in 2011. and they started selling the "Holden caprice" instead which is the same as "Caprice PPV" in the US. So i got a 2012 Holden caprice and parked it next to my 2012 camaro 2SS. i installed bolt-ons on both cars, and im gonna list the mods with Dyno results.

lets start with the caprice:

2012 frozen grey holden caprice.
Engine: L77 which is similar to L76 putting down 360 Engine HP.
Trans: 6L80 with trans cooler stock from GM located behind the front grill.
mods:
1- kooks LT headers (( without cats ))
2- magnaflow 2.5 catback (( i took a used camaro connection pipes from kooks and welded'em to my magnaflow so i can use them on my kooks))
3- Roto-Fab CAI
4- Tune

here is a video for the revs (( sorry it was a windy day ))

DynoJet results: 360.9 hp and the torque was 377 .. SAE corrected

Now with the Camaro:

2012 silver camaro.
Engine: L99.
Trans: 6L80.
mods:
1- Xforce LT headers (( without cats ))
2- Borla ATAK 2.5
3- Roto-Fab CAI
4- Tune

here is a video for the revs

DynoJet results: 364.4 hp and the torque was 383 .. SAE corrected

Now, im thinking about getting more HP, so im going with DOD-deletion kit with cam, and i don't care about fuel management since a full tank here is about 7 dollars (( 95 octane )) lol !! :drink:.. so i have a punch of questions for you guys and i hope you'll help me with:

1- i'm gonna use the cars for DD, is it okay to install a cam for DD car ?

2- what is the worst case scenario with cam replacement, is it safe for the car ? because i've heard that once you install a cam, you'll face alot of problems, is that true ?

3- which is better for stock converter, Livernois 1C cam, or VMS 1.5 cam (( better in quality, HP gain ... etc ))

4- any recommendations for me before going throw with this project ?

PS: im gonna install the cam on both cars (( L99 and L77 ))

Ricky

See less See more
2 2
#3 ·
Ricky Bobby, if you wanna go fast, you gonna need to cam up!

Many with cams, not too many with problems. Usually the tune is the issue, so make sure you know a good tuner first.

#4 ·
Now, im thinking about getting more HP, so im going with DOD-deletion kit with cam, and i don't care about fuel management since a full tank here is about 7 dollars (( 95 octane )) lol !! .:drink:.

Ricky
WOW! We are getting screwed here in the USA.

CAM THEM!

#6 ·
My vote goes livernois. I love my livernois stage 1 cam, great lope, power and driveability on my stock converter. Mine is also a daily driver that i've had zero problems with, other than it keeps throwing the ac belt now that i added the maggie, but thats a separate problem all together. Mine put down 436 rwhp with just the cam and bolt ons. Don't always believe what you hear, you can have a great cammed daily driver, just make sure and get a good tune.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
Thanks guys for the fast replies, lol i know if i wanna go faster ill need to cam up, just like when i started with the CAI and i kept telling my self " Rick this is the only mods that you'll put on your rides, CASE CLOSED" then after a while a bought a headers for both cars and i said the same thing lol .. then a catback .. then every part is dragging a new idea with it.

so if the tune was perfect, everything will go smoothly ? i know a punch of good tuners here in saudi arabia and in dubai. but, will the transmission handle 400-450 rwhp ? i have a trans cooler no other mods on the tranny.

LMAO, yeah the gas here is cheaper than water !! a full tank of premium (( 95 octane )) gas here is about 7 bucks, back in NY i used to fill the g8 with 80 bucks !! and the best part is, they don't give a hell about street racing, speed limits, but there is a lot of fast super cars here, thats why i need to cam up to keep up with them. :driving:

#10 ·
Cam it definitely. As far as the transmission there are a few locals that are over the 600rwhp mark on the stock transmission. It's all about the transmission tune.

#11 ·
Transmission should be just in the 400's, I'm still running my stock 6l80e without even a trans cooler and loom at my power lol. I was told you don't really need the cooler unless you have a stall. But as I mentioned before and as ^^ said, make sure you get a good tune because that makes all the difference.

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone, i really appreciate your input, i think ill go with VMS 1.5 cam and their DOD-Deletion kit.

here is the package

VMS Custom Grind Cam
LS3 Valley Cover
LS7 Lifters
Balancer Bolt
LS3 Lifter Guides
LS3 Front Cover Gasket and Seal
Cam Gear (3 Bolt)
LS7 Timing Gear Bolts
LS3/L76 Head Gaskets
LS7 Timing Chain Damper
ARP Head Bolt Kit
PSI Valve Springs
Custom Push Rods

Do i need double springs ? high flow oil pump ?
is this package is complete for DoD deletion and cam swap ? or do i need more parts ?

#14 ·
that's a pretty good list. You will also need the PCV vent hose, or a catch can.
As to your spring question, contact VMS. After spec'ing the cam, they should know what spring pressure you need and what springs will work. Also make sure they recommend push rod length.
You have a high flow oil pump - the stock one pumps about 25% (IIRC) more than a standard LS1 pump. Some folks go with a lower volume pump when deleting dod. Some do not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.