Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Magnaflow race muffler?

4K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  RJKmotion 
#1 ·
I had on my 02 camaro a single 3 1/2" exhaust wit a magnaflow race muffler on it and sounded like no other camaro!! I loved it! My question is how do you think they will sound on a gxp? Was thinkin about gettin a shop make me a 2 1/2" axle with the magnaflow race mufflers. If anyone has any videos too let me know!! Might also purchase an off road x pipe for it as well and just leave the manifold and cats on. Just remove pup cats and center resonator.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
Do you know the Magnaflow part#?
The only race muffler version I know of, are the ones I have in my GT, Magnapack (14416). They're not that loud with stock manifolds, but they will be with lt's. I used to run them in my 06 GTO with lt's/cam, and i was so hooked with them, that I had to have them in this car :) no regrets, loud when needed, mean rumble on normal accel, freaking loud and aggressive at WOT.

There might be something else from Magnaflow that they designate as a race muffler. Magnapacks are well known in the Ford DOHC 4.6l world, and the reason I know about them.

Sent from my Nexus S4G | 4.1.1 AOSP JellyButt v2.4

#4 ·
Ah , I've seeing/heard them in the old 5.0's, but never listened to them in the lsx app. Try them, should sound good in this motors.

Sent from my Nexus S4G | 4.1.1 AOSP JellyButt v2.4

#9 ·
If you are looking to keep the stock manifold and stock cats then I would reccomend the solo axle backs. I know a lot of people preach about them but IMO when your using them without headers they make for the perfect level of sound.

#15 ·
I think some of that has to do w/ the LS1 - IMO the LS1 was just a mean sounding motor. I've heard identical setups on LS2 and LS3 and LT1 cars and didn't sound as good as LS1's....maybe I'm delusional but I swear they sounded different, more "muscle", more uneven etc. I am pretty sure the LS1 that was in the GTO was slightly higher rated than any other application and also that it may have had a slightly different cam? That may be hearsay but pretty sure it was rated higher than the others anyhow.

My setup on my GTO sounded NASTY and I wasn't even running headers - LS6 heads, AEM intake, stock manifolds, but from cats back was 2.5" straight pipe, H pipe, leading into 18" sweet thunder chambered mufflers - and man I tell you it popped, burbled,gargled and flat out sounded mean

#17 ·
Yea I'm not to worried about drone right at this moment for the fact I'm keeping the stock mid and manifolds probably for awhile. I really like corsa doesn't have drone when you cruisin. I don't want to spend 1,400 right now. I'm buying al new struts springs an brakes here shortly. So just lookin to get some sound out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#18 ·
Just FYI the drone shows up as soon as the stock axle backs are gone. The stock manifolds and stock mid muff don't really do anything to kill the drone. Also the solo axle backs are only around 500 bucks. They go for 350ish or so when someone sells a set on here used.

#20 ·
Oh boy, they'll get you with this ****ty talk about drone, and how the J pipes this and that will eliminate the nasty sound, everybody and their sisters sound the same.., it's funny, but kidding aside, i'm pretty sure you know what drone is if you're coming from a Fbody and tried a couple of setups, i had a 99 Z28 with LT's, OR Y pipe and Loudmouth, lots of fun with exhaust bolts coming loose from the "subtle" vibrations from the exhaust, Lol, heck yeah, lets define drone in a G8, lol, you'll get some buzz here and there depending on mufflers, but in the end whatever your ears can tolerate is fine. Give those race mufflers a try, again, they should sound good, worst case scenario, you can always get something different :), or sound the same as 90% of the G8's out there, lol ,your choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.