Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Little Help? MAF wiring - Stock GT vs LS3/LS7 Maf Card?

30K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  GT Drew 
#1 ·
I'm debating on getting an extension from Casper w/ IAT breakout, or just extending my wires to reach the MAF plug.

Either way, does anyone know the pinouts on the STOCK MAF vs. the LS7 MAF card?? I don't want to fry the sensor by just "plugging it in".

Oh, and the stock GT connector plugs right into the LS7 MAF card w/o issues - but I'm SURE there's a wiring difference???

Some reference pics:

Stock wiring:

Need about 6" extension to reach under the tube:

HELP! :(

See less See more
#2 ·
Got my answer from the other forum... FYI for reference!

G8
Pin - Wire - Circuit - Function

A - 0.5 YE - 492 - MAF Sensor Signal
B - 0.5 PK - 439 - Ignition 1 Voltage
C - 0.5 BK - 450 - Ground
D - 0.5 BN/RD - 472 - IAT Sensor Signal
E - 0.5 BN/WH - 2760 - Low Reference

LS7
A - 0.35 YE - 492 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Signal
B - 0.8 BK/WH - 451 - Ground
C - 0.5 PK - 539 - Ignition 1 Voltage
D - 0.35 TN - 2760 - Low Reference
E - 0.35 TN - 472 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor Signal

#3 ·
All you have to do is swap the pink and the black wires...

#4 ·
I hope so....... thats all i did!

#7 ·
Old school bump. This has become a very popular subject among G8 owners every where now :wink2:

#9 ·
It is a card style maf that allows you to place it into a larger housing if you want more air flow. It is also a lot more responsive. Almost twitchy to a point IMO.

#11 ·
Old thread bump.

Im looking for more info on this. HP gains on a bolt on car? Yeti are you running the 90mm MAF with your VCM? Any info on this subject would be appreciated along with where to buy the card and MAF housing.

#13 ·
I"m running a 4in (102mm) maf housing with my VCM. The coupler from the filter housing to the MAF fits the larger 4in Maf just fine, but you have to by another coupler to fit the maf to the throttle body. I bought a silicon one I trimmed down as well as the LS7 Maf card and Specter 4in MAF from amazon.

I dunno know if there are any HP gains on a bolt on car, but I do know there are throttle response gains for sure.

#16 ·
Ill PM you a link to the one I found as I dont think they are a sponsor for this site. If anyone has a link to one that we can get from a site sponsor feel free to post it.

#18 ·
So based on the wiring chart above you would switch B and C but wouldnt you also switch D and E?
Is the B and C only switch for those with HSRK? do you still need HSRK with this style MAF?i thought i read on here somewhere you didnt?
im running a rotofab if it matters, i noticed there isnt much room for a IAT next to the filter, and its only moved a couple inches anyway... sorry if this has been covered.

#21 ·
Based on what I've read you don't need a hsrk with a ls3/ls7 card style maf because they don't get heat soaked... I still used mine because I already have one so why not, it won't hurt.

As far as switching the wires.... On the stock harness only swap black and pink. That's it. Or if u have a hsrk swap the black and pink on that harness only. You can do the swap on either one but do not do it on both.

#25 ·
hows this work with a vararam intake? i had one and sold it cause i couldnt figure out how to install it

#30 ·
Are you sure it is not reading 32 degrees. That is the default if the iat sensor is not working. If it sais 302 it would affect performance unless you have zeroed out all ignition retard on iat temperature tables. Mine is reading 32 degrees. With hp tuners mine is reading 32 degrees which means the iat sensor is not working.

What does the pink wire control? What does the black wire control? Or should I ask what do they control with a stock maf vs. when swapped?

#33 ·
Bump (for the 4th time): WHY WOULDN'T I NEED TO SWAP WIRES D & E? No answer was ever given. I never did this, and my fuel trims can't seem to get in sync & I'm throwing P0101 MAF card codes here and there...

G8

A - 0.5 YE - 492 - MAF Sensor Signal
B - 0.5 PK - 439 - Ignition 1 Voltage
C - 0.5 BK - 450 - Ground
D - 0.5 BN/RD - 472 - IAT Sensor Signal
E - 0.5 BN/WH - 2760 - Low Reference

LS7
A - 0.35 YE - 492 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Signal
B - 0.8 BK/WH - 451 - Ground
C - 0.5 PK - 539 - Ignition 1 Voltage
D - 0.35 TN - 2760 - Low Reference
E - 0.35 TN - 472 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor Signal

#38 ·
Since a Thermistor is a resistor they should be switched so it will actually work as a temp sensor. It has no effect on the MAF signal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.