Pontiac G8 Forum banner

How long to get revised motor mounts?

7K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  seewhatididther 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a question for all of you who have had the revised motor mounts installed that are supposed to help with the AFM vibration in the steering wheel. How long did it take the dealership to get the parts in?

The dealership said the part is obsolete and that they would have to look around for a dealer that had them. Is this correct or not? Tomorrow will be a week since they looked at the car,and I haven't heard anything yet. I know this is the holiday season so I'm cutting them a little slack. I'm on vacation until the 2nd so it would be easier on my wife and I to get the problem corrected while I'm off work.

#3 ·
anyone have a part number for these? Are they being covered under warranty?

#4 ·

They're covered under the warranty. I was able to look up the mounts on a few parts websites so I don't know what the deal is. I'm having a couple of other things fixed so they might be waiting to get all the parts in at once.

I looked under the car the other day,and it looks like my rear main is leaking too. They will have to look at that also when I do take the car back in.

Anything would be an improvement over the way my car acts in AFM.

#5 ·
Is there any way to know if they have been replaced already?

#6 ·
The dealership should be able to make a printout of everything that's been done to the vehicle. I found out my crank pulley had been replaced under warranty that way. Twice if I remember correctly.

#7 · (Edited)
Ooh, I hadn't heard about these new mounts. Does anyone know what's different about them? Are they less performance-oriented i.e. softer for reduced NVH while allowing the engine to move a bit more? Or is it an improved design with essentially no negatives other than price and/or time? I've always had my car feel quite rough at times when I don't feel it should be like that. It is usually okay but sometimes it acts like it has hard polyurethane (or even solid) mounts. May be AFM-related but not sure.

#10 ·
Allen the current part number for the mount is 92253030 and are currently on backorder
-Greg

#12 ·
I recently took my car in for a crackling/grinding noise first thing in the morning in gear. Thought it was the trans but they checked and all looks good. They found a motor mount that was broken and want to replace them to see if that fixes it but they're back ordered. I assume that they're the revised mounts but didn't ask. I have a GXP and will post results when they get everything straight.

#17 ·
Yes, the 09.5 cars including the GXP had the revised motormounts.

#13 ·
I've been waiting for a few weeks now for the motor mounts to come in. Dealership stated they are on a national back order list. But still no ETA. It's frustrating since I'm waiting to get these replaced before I put my headers on.

#15 ·
My mounts finally came in yesterday and they car getting installed today.

#18 ·
I didn't notice anything with the new mounts. I still have a slight shake at idle.

#31 ·
Do you ever figure out if it was the mounts or something else?

My red one has a terrible shake at idle and the dealership who is very good to me didn't want to dig into the engine without being able to figure out what the cause was up front. I thought it could be the mounts, but they weren't sure about it.

#21 ·
I still haven't heard anything on our engine mounts. It's been two months now.

I would like to get this problem taken care of before too much longer. I don't want to waste any time at the dealership on my day off when the weather gets nice.

I guess I'm going to have to go back out there and see what the deal is. I assume the mounts are still on backorder.

#22 ·
Im also looking to have my motor mounts replaced. The driverside mount is definately going bad as it keeps sagging to the left. It cause my headers to literally rest against the steering collumn. I had the rack shifted/adjusted back into place but after a couple days I can feel the vibrations again.

Being that my car is a 2008 model my 5 yr power train warranty is up at the end of the month. From the sounds of it they may only replace the left mount cause its the only one sagging and the dealer said they cant be sure the right mount is bad even though it shows cracking.

Is this the part # 92253030 needed still? Is it still on back order? If the dealer wont cover both mounts should I just come out of pocket on the other?

#23 ·
I'm still waiting on mine.

I have GOT to get out to the dealership here and see what the deal is. I need to show them my window moldings that are rotten,and I believe I have the seeping rear main or oil pan too now.

#24 ·
Well my guy at the dealership has my mounts on order. They will be getting replaced early next week. Not sure which part number though forgot to ask.

My window molding seems to be rotting too lol

#27 ·
Well my guy at the dealership has my mounts on order. They will be getting replaced early next week. Not sure which part number though forgot to ask.

My window molding seems to be rotting too lol
Good deal on the mounts! That just makes me angrier that mine haven't come in yet though. All four of the moldings on my wife's car are rotten. :(

Rylos, this site is just awesome whenever you have a problem. When I noticed the vibration for the first time my wife looked up and found out about the TSB in seconds. At least you're putting money into something that's worth it!

Dictorsuarus,that's great news because you can really tell it when my wife's car kicks down. I don't see how she couldn't have noticed it before I did.

#28 ·
Yeah, I notice it now that my tune is fixed. It was disabled before. With the SLP axlebacks it really sounds like crap and the wheel really vibrates. Let me know how it goes once they do come in. They are about $80 each so I want to hear about it before I drop close to $200 on them.

#29 ·
I finally went out to our dealership today to see what the deal is with my engine mounts not coming in yet. They had gotten the parts in a while back,but they had sent them back in for some reason. Even though the parts guy is a friend,I was about to get real mad real quick. I have no idea why the parts got sent back without them ever telling me they had them in.

They have the parts in Jackson,MS and they can get them in Monday. I was cool with that. I try to be always be nice,but I was about to get aggravated with this situation.
Hopefully the new mounts will do the trick.

I have the rear main leak as well so hopefully I can get that taken care of too. :( They're supposed to take care of the rotten door moldings too.

#30 ·
My mounts are finally here,and I'm supposed to get them changed in the morning.

I'm kinda concerned about the work being done on a Friday,but I do want to get the problem resolved. Any of you feel the same? I don't want them to be in a hurry to get the car done before the end of the day/weekend.

Service manager says it will take two hours. Is that about right?

Wish me luck. That will just leave the rear main/oil pan issue to be resolved.

#33 ·
The mounts and afm kicking in didn't do anything for steering wheel vibration on my first g8. My 2nd one doesn't have the same steering wheel vibration my first one had and that's what made me buy it (first thing I checked for). It DOES need the mounts swapped since I can feel the afm vibration at low rpm. That's what the mounts fixed in my first one, but never fixed the wheel vibration. The mounts fixed a vibration that you could feel in the entire cabin. Going in next month for new mounts on 2nd g8. my exp for what its worth :0

#34 ·
The mounts and afm kicking in didn't do anything for steering wheel vibration on my first g8. My 2nd one doesn't have the same steering wheel vibration my first one had and that's what made me buy it (first thing I checked for). It DOES need the mounts swapped since I can feel the afm vibration at low rpm. That's what the mounts fixed in my first one, but never fixed the wheel vibration. The mounts fixed a vibration that you could feel in the entire cabin. Going in next month for new mounts on 2nd g8. my exp for what its worth :0
My wife and I haven't noticed any vibration from the AFM in the cabin. Now I will be listening for it or trying to feel it LOL!

The only vibration I've ever felt is in the wheel when the AFM kicks in,and it's better now. I still feel it,but mainly in town. The car didn't do it when we first got it either. I hadn't driven the car in quite some time when I noticed the problem. It was almost like it was lugging at lower speeds with a pretty good vibration in the wheel.

I do remember on the way home from New Orleans with the car thinking something might be wrong,but I know now it was the AFM switching on and off. It was my first experience with AFM or DOD. No vibrations at that time though.

I appreciate the comments ROflsupgG8! It's interesting to hear how about different experiences with this problem!

#35 ·
I feel it at extremely low rpms like 6th gear 55 mph. It'll be very interesting to see if the mounts 'fix' it this time around. Just glad I don't have the shimmy I had in my other one. I also know its afm since it can be turned off on manual mode.

#36 ·
I've got the same vibration issues in the low RPM range. I've been driving in manual mode to avoid it. When I start up the car I can feel the whole motor move too.

I'll be scheduling an appointment ASAP to get it corrected. Guess I'll get the LCA's swapped out too...

#37 ·
I changed my engine mounts with the new mounts a after noticing the driver's side was hanging 1-1.5" lower than the pass side.
Did the brake torque test in D and R, engine moved more than 1-2"s both ways.
Changed at 53K miles.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.