Pontiac G8 Forum banner

When is a bigger MAF needed?

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Daniel Linnett 
#1 ·
So I am finally getting to mod my car a bit. It is getting a CAI, it has axle-back exhaust and is also getting LTH's. I am thinking Rick's intake manifold would be good, but if I go with that, do I need the ported TB and a bigger (90mm) MAF too? It will be topped off with a PatG tune.

#3 ·
yea, you dont need a new Maf for along time.... only people pushing alot of air might need one.... ie... supercharger or turbo at high boost/flow... most will never need this..

#4 ·
Pat G programmed Speed Density and MAF for my car. Runs great with my Procharger... stock MAF too.

#8 ·
Probably physically bigger removing a slight airflow bottle neck maybe?

#6 ·
A bigger one is needed when the stock one limits have been reached whether by airflow (G/sec) or frequency (HZ).

Most people do whatever to increase power, including changing to a bigger MAF when the stocker can do the job, changing to a bigger MAF is not a plug and play thing, your PCM has to be calibrated to know working parameters from the new MAF. Normally the LS7 style is preferred because the parameters from the Z06 MAF are readily available.

You don't need one, Rick's ported intake would do wonders, and the stock MAF would be more than adequated.

#7 ·
As I'm ignorant in this, can't Speed Density take over in the higher limits where the MAF may max out?

I should ask Pat G that.

#9 ·
As I'm ignorant in this, can't Speed Density take over in the higher limits where the MAF may max out?

I should ask Pat G that.
you can just remove MAF is you do a full SD tune... if mixed or split.... not sure on that one but i would assume your right?......

#10 ·
You definitely don't need the bigger maf, But the LS7 maf responds better IMO. It makes the gas peddle touchier if that makes any sense.

#12 ·
would a larger ls7 maf result in any gains for me? for 100 buck ill drop it in since im going for a new tune soon

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.