Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Track Day Advice

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ROGRSS 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm from down under and looking at doing a couple of track days soon. Not a lot of VE's (G8's) get tracked down here and most of the ones that do are manual.

Mines an auto (standard apart from exhaust, brembo brakes up front, pedders springs and cai ) and I'm after some advice on what are the safety measures I can take for the car to be able to drive home again at the end of the day.

I think these cars are pretty tuff so all I was looking at was a larger transmission cooler to keep the tranny temps down.

Hope some of you guys on here that have track experience can help.

Cheers Paul

#2 ·
I assume that, like over here, you have to get an inspection done prior to track time. Good track pads on the brakes and new fluid is a must! Brakes on a road course are top priority. remember "slow in = fast out! (Turns, that is!)

#3 ·
I've done 20min sessions manually shifting and driving the car hard and the trans is fine with that.
As mentioned above, make sure your brake pads are good, consider a higher temp brake fluid, check other fluids, tire pressure, etc.
Start slow, learn you and your car's limits on braking points, corner speed, etc and gradually get faster.
And of course, have fun!

#4 ·
Agreed with the other guys. I think your trans will be fine at your power levels. My first two days, I used Sport mode and let the car shift for me so I could pay more attention to driving; now I use manual mode so I control when torque changes to the wheels. Have fun!

#5 ·
The first day or two on track YOU will be the "weak link". Take it slow and learn the driving line, how to keep your eyes-up, etc. As you get better/faster you'll start pushing the car more. Changing the brake fluid to one with higher boiling point and using track pads would be the next upgrade.

-Todd...

PS - I added a trans cooler, but it was because I went to taller gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.