Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Plastic cover on engine. Should I take it off or does it serve a purpose?

41K views 55 replies 33 participants last post by  zepcom 
#1 ·
This has been driving me nuts. haha. I have had one person tell me to take the cover off due to heat, which makes sense to me. However, I had a buddy tell me that it may be helping to dissipate the heat through some weird scientific reason that he gave me :/

What should I do? Should I take it off permanently, take it off when I'm at the track, or just leave it on?

#2 ·
I'm not scientist and I haven't done any testing, but I can't imagine that it makes that much difference either way. Go with what makes you happiest when you look at it. I took mine off to install the Vararam and never looked back.

#3 ·
I was told it was for reducing noise considering the DOD/AFM contributes more engine noise. I also heard that it does help in reducing trapped heat when you take it off.

#5 ·
it is on for reducing noise, I don't think it contributes much heat for normal or even spirited driving. Now on the track or rush hour traffic, I can see it causing issues.

#6 ·
It serves two purposes, reduce engine noise and adds a cleaner look to the engine bay...that being said, the cover is basically like putting an insulating blanket on your engine and will do nothing but create heat soak...i.e. trapping heat inside of the engine...I don't forsee it causing any adverse issues for daily driving, but you would definitely want to remove it if you are at the track...

#7 ·
I'm going to assume you mean the big engine cover that has a hole for the oil fill, and not the small intake cover thats under it.

I had mine off for a couple days. Made considerably more noise inside the car (and not a good noise IMO). If it's not an intake noise, and it's not an exhaust noise, I really don't care to hear it inside the car.

Take it off and try it out yourself. It's a 10 second procedure. I would say the majority of people here have removed theirs.

#8 ·
I'm going to assume you mean the big engine cover that has a hole for the oil fill, and not the small intake cover thats under it.
I took both of them off the first week I had the car, in order to fit the 'gto-like' twin Holden valve covers on. Haven't looked back since. You need to SHOW OFF a 6 liter V8, not hide it under an NVH cover.

#10 ·
Just want to add that anything put on by the factory will not cause driveability issues. For example if you are in bumper to bumper traffic in 100F weather, the car will not overheat because of the cover. As others have said, it's for noise abatement and to clean up the engine bay.

#11 ·
The GTO style covers are the best, I don't know why they changed it other than maybe because of the AFM hardware is too loud and they needed to install a full engine cover to supress the sound? Either way the GTO style covers FTW! :)

#29 ·
Could anyone give more specifics on the GTO style covers without running into these freaking board rules? Where I can order them? PM me if you can...

#14 ·
All fuel rail covers and other stupid covers need to be removed as soon as you buy the car. Their initial "purpose" is to reduce engine noise in the cabin but the only thing they really accomplish is causing heat soak and power loss. We need a HUGE difference on our Auto-x cars removing those covers.

I've seen 3-6 degrees of knock vanish instantly on a hot engine removing the covers.

#19 ·
The engine cover protects the intake manifold, wiring, etc.. from dust, debris, etc... in dusty and dirty air environments. If you plan on your car as a daily driver, keep it on, otherwise a weekend car can go without. Though there is slight heat containment by the cover, the intake manifold cover is heat insulated as well (so I'm told). The removal of the engine cover is more aesthetically pleasing for those "popping" the hood. GM has a bad habit of placing bulky engine covers on all their cars. Take a look at all Cadillac, Pontiac, Chevy, etc... cars for the past few years. You will find them on all makes and models.

Personally, I like the look without, but to each their own.

#20 ·
Took mine off in the spring, but I plan on putting it back on for winter.

#22 ·
Thanks a lot guys for your input. I am going to leave it off during the summer. When winter hits here in Ohio, I am going to put it back on to keep as much heat on there as possible. Our winters can get bad :/.

I can hear a noticeable difference in in-cabin noise. I like it :). The rumble makes the stock exhaust sound a little nastier.

#24 ·
Yeah I would have to agree with that one...lol

#25 ·
Ding....ding, Zep is correct.

#26 ·
Tak it off, Leave it on, Take it off, Leave it on....... Yellow Emoticon Line Smiley Icon

#27 ·
Thats what she said.....lol

#28 ·
#30 ·
I'm interested also!

#36 ·
$200 for some stupid plastic covers? Waste of money. Unless you drive around without a hood, I think this is a waste of money. That or you park your car outside at night and pup the hood and then go to sleep. So incase anyone walks by they can see it.

#33 ·
take it off... Ride hard

#34 ·
Leave it on...at least my G8 likes it hot, best dyno numbers were 2nd and third pull immediately after each other pull one and four allowed the engine cool down for 20 minutes, I lost 4-5 rwhp

Also I noticed with SC Cortex best times / power is with fans set at stock...not S/C value or 180* F....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.