Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Any GT's With Great Sound in the Lansing Area?

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  SpartanGreen 
#1 ·
Haven't bought the G8 yet, but plan to put in some mods early on. I was wondering if there was anyone in the Lansing area who wouldn't mind me listening to their exhaust. I'm looking for a deep aggressive sound, but not too much drone or too excessively loud. From what I've heard so far online, I'm partial to Borla. But, I would also be interested in hearing Solos, Corsa, or your custom system. Let me know if anyone wouldn't mind letting me take a look at your GT!

#2 ·
I have heard just about every exhaust set up on a g8. Headers, Xpipe mid muffler and solos sound fantastic but loud at WOT. Magnaflow sounds great but has some drone. Corsa is absolutely sweet sounding. Borla is great also. Very deep sounding. But not loud enough in my opinion. I'm gonna do Pacesetter headers with Xpipe and stock mufflers this spring. Sleeper ish. But sounds good. If your not gonna do headers get a borla or Corsa catback. You can buy a connection pipe to bolt headers up to Corsa. So many different setups. Almost just have to pick one. Video clips don't do any exhaust justice.

Sent from my fresh lubed iPhone

#3 ·
Solo cat-backs are a good choice... Decent prices and no drone. Check out their site and watch/listen to the videos. They have kits from "oh that sounds cool" to "MY EARS ARE BLEEDING!" well, not quite that bad but probly from mild to wild. ;)

Also keep in mind that various things will change the tone of the exhaust. Long tubes vs mids, the cam on the engine, etc... Your main parts would be Headers, mid section (mid muff/resonators, and axle backs (rear mufflers). there's TONS of possible combinations.

#4 · (Edited)
I have been checking out some of Solo's stuff online. I think that I like the Borla sound the best, even though they are a little bit more expensive. But, like you said, it's hard to tell what your favorite is over YouTube videos. I'm sure there is no comparison to hearing the real thing!

The set-up that I'm currently thinking about is the Roto-Fab CAI, Borla Full Cat-Back, and the Cortex Roto 87 Tune. When I get a chance to head home around the holidays I'm going to look at a black GT for sale in Midland and a silver one in Saginaw. The black has 33k miles for $22k and the silver is 41k miles for $21k. I really like the idea of a silver GT with some black rims, I think those look really nice. I'll go check out both of the cars and see which looks to be in better shape.

#5 ·
ARH longtubes with their x mid pipe, to stock GXP axlebacks. Mine is without cats. Very tame at idle n cruise, but scares people at WOT, all with zero drone. Just use your GT axlebacks if you want it quiet. I barely noticed any sound difference at all until I changed axlebacks.

#7 ·
Does anyone have any idea how the Solo High Flow Cats would sound by themselves? Couldn't find a YouTube video of just those by themselves. The power gain would be nice vs. a cat-back system.

#9 ·
I am running kooks mids, ebay x pipe and solo axle backs, idle is good, has some sound, normal driving is pretty tame, but WOT will make the elderly people poo themselves! Just how I like it!

#13 ·
I'm going to finalize everything at the dealership on Monday, so pumped! Now I'm trying to make the final decision between the Mach Shorty and Mach Shorty Balanced. I have heard countless videos on YouTube but it's still hard to decide.

Any advice? I want a mean sound but I don't want it to be overly loud for when it shouldn't be.

#14 ·
Go with the Mach Shorty. Louder is better lol

#15 ·
I'm leaning in that direction right now. I just don't want to pay a thousand dollars for an exhaust that ends up being too quiet for my taste. Probably the unbalanced shorty at this point.

#16 ·
I love the rumble of my Pypes Violators axle-backs. I think once I add headers I'll love them even more.

I'm in Grand Blanc if ya wanna meet up one day and hear it. I have my stock air-box back on for the winter, but they still sound great.

#17 ·
Im in Midland Michigan and have Solo's Axleback system with 3.5" tips. If you came through I could show you how they sound.

#18 ·
You live in Midland? I just picked up an 09 PBM GT w/ 33k Miles there on Monday, from McArdle. It's a massive upgrade from the 04 Grand Prix, to say the least. I have a big smile every time I get behind the wheel.

I have some money set aside for some initial mods and am trying to make the final decisions. I know that I'm going to be getting the Roto-Fab CAI, and the Cortex tuner to start with. The only thing left to decide on is Solo Mach vs Mach Shorty Balanced vs Mach Shorty, as I said earlier. Basically, I want it to sound like a mean V8, but still be tasteful.

I want a good sound, scary at WOT, but not too loud for normal driving. I'm using the rest of the money to try and pick up a decent radar detector. Now that I finally have a big engine to back up my heavy foot, I suspect a bit of trouble coming my way.

#19 ·
You honestly might want to consider the axleback. It sounds great. Next time you come through Midland give me a call. I will let you hear mine. I'll PM you my phone number.

#21 ·
Awesome! I just got mine earlier this week and I have found myself just standing there staring at it a few times haha. Great looking car. My name is also Nick btw.

#23 ·
I have been debating on which catback to go with for a few weeks. Everyone that I've talked to (not on the forum) has suggested that I go with the Mach Unbalanced. I thought that maybe I should go with the quieter exhaust in case I ever need to drive somewhere with a client in the car.

But then I had a change of heart, went to the Solo website and pulled the trigger on the Mach Shorty Unbalanced. I hope my clients like the sound of a screamin' V8! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.