Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Thinking of trading in my car (G8 GT) for 2010 vette GS (white)

6K views 95 replies 22 participants last post by  Rich G 
#1 · (Edited)
Saw a mint condition 2010 GS Corvette coupe (white) the other day. Dealer worked out a half decent deal for my car, the GS also has the exhaust done, so it sounds mean! The GS vette has 22k km on it, it is an American car. The GS looks like this one, but not the car I was looking at, I got this off of the corvette forum:

The GS vette has the wide body (325s width tires out back) can corner at over 1G...SOB!!! I SO WANT!!! weighs about 500lbs lighter than the G8, suspension upgrades over the z51 package c6 vettes.

So pros for the vette:
- Lighter more meaner stance (z06 appearance package, with z06 breaks)
- better suspension compared to the c6 regular vette.
- White color is a plus (no stripes anywhere, just full flat white, see above pic) - i have a weakness for white.
- Corners like its on rails (yup no kidding, 325s grip the road well)
- Stops on a dime
- Modding = getting better results at the drag strip or road course due better power to weight ratio
- No navi, but I dont really care
- Dry sump oil cooling
- Hand built LS3 with forged crank. (or so I read, also has stronger pistons and valves compared to the regular c6)

Cons for the vette:
- Winter driving = out of the question
- 2 seater = not much space for a group
- high maintenance over the long run?
- attracts attention, sometimes the wrong kind of attention
- low ground clearance = many more chances of bottoming out.
- possible massive price fall due to C7 debut.

Pros for the G8:
- Seats 4 to 5 easily
- Easy to drive automatic trans (stop and go traffic = no worries)
- drive able in snow with a good set of winters on
- unique and good looking
- Trunk space
- Does not attract too much attention, flies under the radar.

Cons for the G8:
- HEAVY!!!

At the end of the day they are two separate cars geared at two separate audiences. I understand that some might view the cross shopping of the two as a fools errand.....that being said, it makes me wonder what it would feel like to have a 'real' sports car. Curiosity is killing me.:(

See less See more
#3 ·
Go for it. They are great cars. With that said, the C7 is being shown tonight and you may want to see what it has to offer. If nothing, should at least drive the price of C6s down.

#4 ·
@ zodiac: While the Mustang is an awesome buy, no doubt about it, ever since I was a kid, I always wanted a vette. But I still have my doubts as to how well the vette would fit in my life. I don't have a family for now, but life has a way of changing fast and soon! Wish I had space for both! ugh! decisions..decisions.

@ Steve GT: Yeah gonna watch what they offer on the c7, it is sure to hit the c6 price atleast a little bit.

#6 ·
OP, whats the selling price of the vette? I've seen several GS's available lately through auction. Wondering how the retail price compares to the wholesale price (especially since it's winter)

#7 ·
The GS I was looking at was priced at 56k. But if I am going ahead with this, I plan on hammering them down more. Especially with the fact that the new C7 just got introduced, I am pretty sure they can put it down a little bit more than 56k..

what do you think?

#14 ·
Here's what I've seen go through Toronto lately:
12 GS Coupe 6speed, Centennial Edition, 8300kms for $56,500

12 GS Coupe 6speed, 4100kms for $54,800

12 GS Coupe Auto, 4100kms for $55,000

Keep in mind these are auction prices so you need to allow for reconditioning costs, shipping, lot pack, and of course a little profit. :wink2:

#8 ·
If I didn't have my boy come in May 2010, then my daughter in December of 2011, I'd have had a C6 already and would have never been on this board.

Now that the C7 has come out, that sucker is stunning. I would wait for a little while to see where prices go for the C6 first.

#11 ·
I just saw the c7 reveal, that interior on the C7 i am not digging it at all.. The c6 interior is nothing great but damn it, i feel like GM killed it for me..

#9 ·
Way too much damn money. Not worth no $56k! I know you are in Canada but not sure there is that drastic of a price difference. I'd buy a new C7 for that price. I'm sure a base C7 will start in the mid to high $40k range.

Edit looks like base starts at $50k.

#10 ·
yeah zodiac, we get reamed up here on the prices, you guys down south get some awesome pricing.

#15 ·
I would do it if you have the means, make them give you a little more for the G8 on trade or whatever you have going...

#17 ·
VJ,
My honest opinion. The G8 is one of the rarest production sedans kicking around and that is what gets me going about it. I am constantly getting people asking me what it is, where it came from etc. Now don't get me wrong, 'vettes are my fav car and have been since I was young but I'd say keep the 8 use the cash you'd spend on vette to make your car yours and make even more heads turn.

In the end, I wouldn't blame you for swapping, that C6 is gorgeous but they're everywhere.

Cheers man!

#23 ·
VJ,
My honest opinion. The G8 is one of the rarest production sedans kicking around and that is what gets me going about it. I am constantly getting people asking me what it is, where it came from etc. Now don't get me wrong, 'vettes are my fav car and have been since I was young but I'd say keep the 8 use the cash you'd spend on vette to make your car yours and make even more heads turn.

In the end, I wouldn't blame you for swapping, that C6 is gorgeous but they're everywhere.
Cheers man!
Sigh dude, this is getting harder, i actually got quoted lower Insurance premium than what I pay on the G8 for the C6 GS..But yes I hear you completely the G8 is unique.

it has 22000km and they're asking that kind of money!!! SCREW THAT
NO WAY would I pay that much for a used vette that is nuts. If that's the market in Canada go buy one in the states and drive it back.

You can get a used GS for low 40's w/ less miles see below
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=boston&listType=1

Or Z06
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=boston&listType=1
Interesting, you guys down south get some good deals man..fak!!

If that's the best deal you can find go for it but keep looking around!! Wife said I can get my Corvette when my kids are in college or move out! !:) my boy is 2 :( Lol
LOL 2 years..i guess you are gunning for c9 then :p

Wait until next year.. It will save you huge $$$.. Trade the g8 in for a c7.. you need a c7.
Or keep the G8 like SCCM suggested...i dont know bud, its very frigging tempting. Decisions..Decisions!!! :(

#18 ·
If I had the money to throw around, and no kids to pack into the car, I would consider the Vette. My issue with this kind of car in Canada is that you can only drive it for 8 months and then need a second vehicle for the winter. Other than that it's an emotional buy that would be hard to resist.

You could put half the cost of the Vette into the G8 and blow the doors off all but the craziest cars on the road or track...make sure you know why you are buying and stick to that. If you want a Vette, get it. In my experience the cost of a new car is almost never justified by the 'needs' that it fulfils (of course, when your current car is working fine).

#19 ·
#22 ·
Wait until next year.. It will save you huge $$$.. Trade the g8 in for a c7.. you need a c7.

#25 ·
Yeah i was like "come again" X 3 to the lady who quoted me the insurance premium ...i am saving like 230 dollars a year on a C6 GS vs a G8 GT ..go figure...:drink:

#27 ·
I was quoted $140/month for a brand new GS, exact same thing on my G8 is $189/month...

Bro, get a corvette. You will enjoy it more. It will bring your dream to reality/coming true. You need to do it (Im trying to live my life through you right now haha).

#26 ·
It's all based on statistics, so while most Vettes are stored away in garages and driven by silverhairs, most G8s are not.

Trunkspace and interior volume are something you might be taking for granted now, but might REALLY miss once you don't have them; I would keep the G8 if I were you. Vettes still have an old-guy-who-needs-to-buy-a-personality reputation, and that alone would make me dismiss one, no matter how capable they are.

#28 ·
Keep the G8. Not only will you need a winter beater, you'll need that 2nd car for whenever you want to pick anything up from a store, transport anything sizeable, so you'll be insuring that car for probably a whole year instead of just through the winter...G8 is heavy, so what? It's a family car! It'll still out-handle at least 70% of what's available, sports car or otherwise. It's rarer than a Vette, doesn't make people think you have a small pecker, and the exhaust sounds just as damn good.

And I doubt dealers will be dropping the price on C6s because not too many keep any on their lot as inventory, so they're not trying to clear them out. It's Chevy's halo car, their money maker. As for the C7? I'm still up in the air. That ass end is pretty horrid, and they HAD to make the interior better. People dropping 6 figures on a Vette don't want to see the same steering wheel that the POS Cobalt came with. It's a prestige car, it needs better trappings.

So anyway, my vote is keep the G!

#29 ·
Bro lives in Toronto. You don't need a car to go to the store. You can pay for delivery when you buy large things. How often do you buy a fridge? A vette will hands down out perform a G8.

You can probably transfer your fast intake over. Just get a cai, headers, fast, tune. Done. Throw in a cam or go A&A supercharger if you want to go nuts.

Vette bro. vette.

#34 ·
"Step up" is debatable - step elsewhere, maybe ^_^.

#37 ·
if you're into performance and driving, it's a huge step up. Imagine what would happen if you removed 1,000 pounds from your g8....
this.

#36 ·
That's all well and good, but 99% of a car's life isn't spent performance zooming around (especially in Toronto LOL). I like my performance cars to have some modicum of practicality, and the G8 has that in spades. I'd say a Vette represents a step up in one area, but a step down in a number of others.

To each his own, though!

#38 ·
I think keeping practicality in mind is a worthwhile concern, especially for a young guy who may or may not be having a family in the near future. G8s aren't going down in value (unlike used Vettes...), so I'd say they're a good, useful investment on top of being better overall cars.

And if you do want to go fast, throw a few grand into the G8, make it go faster than any GS C6, and you'll still have a few thousand in your bank to play with later.

#39 ·
G8 GT: $30k
Mods to make it go like hell: $20k
Total: $50k

Stock C6: $56k

Savings by investing in G8: $6k

Having a roomy family car that can blow away your average Vette: priceless

:judge:

#40 ·
You can buy a new grand sport for 45k or even less if you qualify for additional rebates. Besides that, every dollar you spend on a G8 can be spent on a vette so that argument doesn't really apply. My modded G8 usually traps 115 in the 1/4 mile. My near stock C5Z trapped 117 untuned. They are both great cars but they are impossible to compare. If you want to go fast, the corvette platform is the car to use. The trunk of my Z has also held a ton of groceries. It's bigger than you'd expect as it was designed to hold two golf bags, if I'm not mistaken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.