Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Doing Bilsteins, need help with Kings

5K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  bg8leefook 
#1 ·
Ok so as the title states im doing a Bilsteins setup.

Im wondering what are the differences of the HD and non HD king springs???

Also, i was recommended to use super pro strut mounts, anything else?

#2 ·
Where did you get your Bilstiens? Sorry for thread jacking.

Sent from my fresh lubed iPhone

#4 ·
You want the regular Kings. IIRC from an old thread. Kings are 30% stiffer than stock. HD's are 50%, really track only stuff.

#8 ·
it's called options. What's the V8 engine for? What's leather interior for? It's all about how much you're willing to sacrifice your performance for the right quality. But calling them track only is ridiculous. Because if they are track-only, then all coilovers should be driven on rails only.

#9 ·
Agreed with Monaro. 30% stiffer than stock is noticable but no where near uncomfortable. I have the Pedders OE height springs and they are not too stiff at all. Now I kind of wish I went with a 50% stiffer spring. I'll have to check out the King HD stuff for sure.

So which HD Kings would give close to OE height? I'm guessing the 150SLHD and the 152SLHD?

Also are the HD King springs progressive rate or linear?

#12 ·
king fronts are 180-280 and if I remember right HD is 240-360
The soft portion is about only one inch of initial suspension travel meaning that if the bump on the road is over an inch tall, you will feel it more, but if the bump is less than an inch tall, you won't notice much difference from the stock height.

#16 ·
What were the part numbers for those Bilsteins you ordered? Why didn't you get the Bilstein springs? You should ask Bilstein which springs to get.

#18 ·
This is just the struts not coil overs
So they don't have springs

#20 ·
Not trying to thread-jack, just trying to get more info about other suspensions available for our cars.

Thanks for the input folks, been following thestevo on this as I was the first person to buy Bilstein (B12 kit) for my Acura TSX (same as Euro Honda Accord) a while back and they where awesome riding. My contact at Bilstein can get anything as long as I can get him the product number.
Looking at some of the Australian forums they seem to like the Boge shocks struts, H&R set-up and the Bilstein set-up.

Anyone have any input on the Boge set-up?
I read the H&R set-up (threaded shock/strut) is built by Bilstein and in $2380 down under, any info on that either?

#21 ·
Then to see if your contact has any more pull then the people here in Poway (Bilstein NA) here is the part number for the rear shock. BE5-F588.

Let us know if he is able to source them. I know they are made in Germany and shipped and sold in Australia, but I can find no one from Bilstein NA interested in getting them here.

#22 ·
I talked to the Bilstein NA guys at SEMA 2011 show and they had no interest in getting them here. And while I'd really love to get a set, because my experience with them on my mustangs has always been great, the price kills it for me. I will NOT pay that much for something that should cost no more than 600 bucks a set.

#24 · (Edited)
I think they are pretty comparable, but Koni's products are USUALLY leaning more toward the racing equipment end of the spectrum than Bilstein is. So when you say I think Bilsteins are "cheaper" I would tend to agree, but only in terms of pricing, not quality. And when we are talking about something like a damper insert I dont think I'm unreasonable in feeling like they shouldnt cost more than 600 bucks.
So what will I do... chances are I will go with the Koni inserts because my experience with the other brands who make something for these cars range from none at all to not very complimentary.

#25 ·
OP, I apologize if this is pushing off-topic again...
If I get a chance to go to PRI again this year I will speak to the Bilstein reps again and let you know what I find out (JonRobbinSS and I spoke about this after I talked to them last year).

TheStevo, since I've run the Eibachs/Bilsteins for 2k+ miles now and have put them through their handling paces, I'd say they are reasonably well matched but I would have liked to try a linear spring. I do feel the Bilsteins are underdamped at low-speed shock rates, but it does make for a comfortable (better than FE3) highway ride. I can provide more feedback in the appropriate thread if anyone wants to hear it.

Unfortunately I do not know the Eibach spring rates/lengths in comparison to the King springs you ordered, but it might be useful data for others if someone can post the info.

#26 ·
When you say under damped, does the car feel like its bobbing around a lot over larger bumps or does it hit really hard and cause the car to feel unsettled?
Because if its the latter I'd venture to say the springs aren't up to the job and need a higher rate and that soft, "like stock" ride that Eibach likes to claim, is the problem.

Oh and BTW, I looked around for spring rates back in 09 when I first got my car because thats really the only way to compare springs if they arent in the car. But apparently its proprietary info that really isnt discussed or offered.

#33 ·
Eibach's are way shorter and thicker dia. than stock springs... thus stiffer.
Actually that has very little / nothing to do with the spring rate. That needs to be properly measured. If a friend of mine still had access to a spring "dyno" he used at a former job, I'd get the info I'm looking for myself.

#28 ·
Yes at a very low shock rate they don't immediately damp out the spring compression/rebound, which is probably due to the initial rate of the Eibachs being very low/soft (progressive). This is why I suggested trying a linear spring with the Bilsteins, not sure if sets are available for the G8 but I imagine so or an off-the-shelf option might work. These shocks/struts can be easily revalved by a qualified mechanic.

That being said...it's a trade-off as a linear spring with higher initial rate may feel harsher, and the Eibachs/Bilsteins do IMO provide a more comfortable highway ride than the FE3, while firming up almost immediately (after a little lean) if you need to turn. The handling is good and the limits are noticeably higher, the amount of lean is just more than expected (not necessarily a bad thing).

I should probably make a separate thread with feedback on this setup, apologies again to the OP.

#29 ·
Well so far ive only been able to install the rears, the fronts should be installed in the next few days, one thing that is kinda annoying me is that the rears are supposed to sit at 380mm from the hub to the fender, but they are all the way at 340mm, Any opinions on this?? This is also hurting the ride (since theres 40mm less of travel), altho I will say they still feel MUCH better than the BC Coilovers i had.

Also Vz28, its fine :)

#30 ·
While I can't give you info on the King springs drop, I did notice with the Bilsteins/Eibachs that it did not match the Eibach specs, it was about 0.75" drop front, 1.25" drop rear (from memory) compared to 1"/0.8" specs (someone correct me if I'm wrong on Eibach specs). New OEM front strut mounts.

Also, if you have the same Bilstein rears, check the spring perch height - it can be adjusted +/-10mm or so from the center height (3 positions). I am using the middle perch height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.