Pontiac G8 Forum banner

First ticket in the G8 - THANKS A LOT "LIFT FOOT MODE"!

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Earl Flynn 
#1 ·
It's been a loong time since I've posted here but I had to share this irritating tidbit.

I was in sport mode, well... the car was in "sport mode", I was in "get the **** out of my way you idiot going 30 in a 50 mph zone" mode. :) I stepped on it to go around this dinosaur suburban and it "stuck" in 4th gear. I was going about 45 at that point and so I floored it (just for a second or two) to get it to shift. In that two seconds I went from 45 to 65. It still hadn't shifted to I just put it back in drive and slowed down. Next thing I know one of those infamous Lynnwood motorcycle cops was pulling me over and handing me a lovely little piece of paper. :(

I just sent in my mediation hearing explanation and figured maybe the judge will let me off since it clearly wasn't MY fault. ;) *sigh* The worst part is I deferred a ticket 11 months before. @#%# $T%@ #$#$!!!

I haven't really researched the "lift foot mode" (I think that's what it's called) but it seems like it was hanging on way longer than I would expect. Is there an rpm point that it's supposed to shift?

#3 · (Edited)
This doesn't sound like "lift foot" mode, it sounds like "crappy stock trans tune" mode. What I gather is that you wanted the car to downshift to pass a slower vehicle and it didn't so you punched it to initiate the downshift? Is this correct? If so this is just the poorly calibrated stock trans tune that never seems to find the gear you want. "lift foot" mode is after you punch it and pass the car then let off and it won't upshift to a higher gear.

#5 ·
This doesn't sound like "lift foot" mode, it sounds like "crappy stock trans tune" mode. What I gather is that you wanted the car to downshift to pass a slower vehicle and didn't so you punched it to initiate the downshift? Is this correct? If so this is just the poorly calibrated stock trans tune that never seems to find the gear you want. "lift foot" mode is after you punch it and pass the car then let off and it won't upshift to a higher gear.
I think I have experienced both things the OP is referring to. I didnt lift foot mode was an actual thing though. THere have definitely been times that I punch it and let off and the trans just stays in 4th for a while then finally goes into 5th like 20-30 seconds later and on into 6th. Its like the car is saying "play time is over already.....are you suuuuuuuure" haha.

The other issue usually happens to me on my on ramp to work. Its like Im in 5th coming off the ramp and I start to ease down on it to go around some people so it goes into 4th but thats not quite enough so I ease down on it some more and all the sudden it jumps into 2nd at about 50 mph like its ready to rip someones head off.

#10 ·
Slow down and be more patient on the road way with folks. Then you wont get tickets or a gun pulled on you.
If anything the person 30 in a 50 should have been pulled over and ticketed. Its kind of sad when someone out of the norm on the road causes someone else to get a ticket trying to do the norm. Lets not try to make him look like the bad guy for wanting to pass a slow ass.

#12 ·
Thank you. And it would be "her look like a bad guy" bad girl??? Bad guy sounds better. :D

#6 ·
It's done the same thing one or two times before in the past three years. I looked it up on here and it seems to fit the "performance mode/lift foot mode" kind of, but it just.... gets stuck. To describe it further, I am speeding up and when it get's into fourth it stays. In the times it's happened I've tried taking my foot off the gas and slowing down; slowly and steadily increasing speed; stomping it; and once I even tried to upshift into fifth manually but every time it just revs the piss out of the engine (3000-4000rpms) and stays in fourth. It certainly doesn't feel like a performance feature but maybe I'm just being a wuss and it's supposed to shift at 4500 or something! :(

For those of you that have experience with performance/lift foot mode, at what point did it shift? When it happens I feel like I'm in some weird game of chicken or something.

#13 ·
yea, when that happens and I'm not thrashing it around, I slide right back over to "D" mode quickly and it fixes itself in a second or so, but hey, not sure if you had that much time to do the same if you did it right in front of the cop.

What's more fun is driving in manual mode and pre-selecting a higher RPM gear to advance to pass, and being in full control of RPM's / engine sound / speed. Still might have gotten the ticket if you were going too much faster than 50, but the sounds might have been quieter and might not have caught the cops attention.

That certainly is Performance Lift mode though. Only available in sport.

#14 ·
Your car functioned as designed. The "lift/foot mode" Holds the gear for 20ish seconds. It is designed to keep you in the power band going around a corner, so as not to abrublty downshift half way through a corner and upset the balance of the car. If you think back, I bet the times it happened was always on a curve of some sort.
The car will shift in this mode - at redline. Or after the 20 or so seconds of easy driving. Or if you shift back into drive

#15 ·
That's what I was wondering, when it will shift. And yeah... it was a slight corner. So... thanks for the info. guys. Now I know what to expect. :) I wonder if the judge will have this info. It probably wouldn't help my hearing if he did. :judge:

#18 ·
Slow down, you whiper-snapper!!! hahahaha

#19 ·
I NEVER use sport mode because the shifting is too wacky for my taste. I didn't have a sport mode in my G6 GXP and I lived by the auto shifter in that car, same for the G8 as soon as I got use to the RPM's

I live by the manual shift so that I can control the gears in instances like being watched or flanked by a police.

Only 1 ticket in the 3 years I had the G6 (should have been 2, got caught doing 120mph by state police.....:()
So far none in the G8 but based that I drive this wayyyyy harder than that 6 makes me believe I'm just lucky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.