Pontiac G8 Forum banner

best tune for stock car

7K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  ExpLiciTSainT 
#1 ·
just wondering which tune i should get, it has soloaxle backs right now and im going to add a cai and x-pipe, thanks for any help

#2 ·
There is alot of information on this forum about this topic. The best tune will be some type of custom tune (Livernois, VMS, Pat G, etc) but they will cost more money than the hand held tunes (Cortex, etc.) Do a search, read the pros and cons..........make a decision.

#3 ·
This is actually a great question. I wonder if there is a thread detailing the many differences of the different tune options and the advantages/disadvantages of each? Instead of laboring over thread after thread with varying info.

#7 ·
Popularity is a good measure when sifting through the millions of threads on these topics. People don't flock to bad products...

I'd say for a beginner tune the Cortex is the way to go, mail order seems to favor Livernois and Pat G, and a custom dyno tune from a reputable G8 tuner is the cream of the crop.

So Good, Better, Best

#9 ·
Popularity is a good measure when sifting through the millions of threads on these topics. People don't flock to bad products...

I'd say for a beginner tune the Cortex is the way to go, mail order seems to favor Livernois and Pat G, and a custom dyno tune from a reputable G8 tuner is the cream of the crop.

So Good, Better, Best

Agose said this as I was typing my essay... basically said in 4 lines what I said in 400!

#8 ·
This is long and it is only my thoughts based on what I have read!!!

Disclaimer: I do not have an aftermarket tune. I am only stating my opinions based on what I have read on this site and the other in an attempt to help the OP with his decision. I have seen this exact post a number of times since joining this site and the other in MAY of 2012! Please don't flame me for this, instead, post your honest thoughts about your current tune or lack of one and your opinions of your tune!

Ultimately, I think that the "best tune" for your car really depends on your personal preferences, your desires with the car, and what you need based on the mods that you have.

I have labored over literally hundreds of threads on this site and that other forum, I have talked with people who have had a VMS tune, the Superchips tune, a Pat G tune, and a guy who has his G8 tuned locally by the GTO crowd with HP tuners, they all have things that they really like and things that they really dislike about their tunes. Okay, I take that back, the guy with the Pat G tune really had nothing bad to say about it.
From what I have found, Vector MS and Livernois will charge you once for their mail order tunes and then via email will work with you and update your tune with you as you mod your car. That ends, I believe once you add a cam... don't quote me on the cam part... just going off of memory and their website has all of that info. Both of those companies have package deals that really are a good deal for a mail order tune and a CAI. I think $700ish for the tune and the CAI (Rotofab?)... once again please don't quote me look at their websites they are site sponsors on here...
Pat G is out of TX and has his own website... you can google that.
I am pretty sure that most on here would tell you that with just a CAI and axlebacks or catbacks that the Cortex handheld is the best bang for your buck, but the tune files cannot be modded at all? what you get is what you get, and a lot of guys (search on here and you'll turn up a lot of threads with info) just aren't happy with the Cortex. Some guys are and you'll find those too.
If you have a local tuner you could take to them and have them throw it on a dyno or do a street tune, but that may be a one time deal also (most guys pay somewhere between $200 and $300 for a local guy to do the tune) but that also is a one time thing and if you change something on your car then you have to repay for a new tune. That is something that you would have to speak with your tuner about.
Your other option in the DIY route, which involves purchasing a softward suite like HP Tuners Pro or EFI live? This would allow you to make the changes to your tune as you see fit. Granted it would also allow you to royally mess up your car if you do not know what you are doing.

Ultimately, I think that the "best tune" for your car really depends on your personal preferences, your desires with the car, and what you need based on the mods that you have. There is no mogical answer to this question or I would already have an aftermarket tune on my car! Good luck man!

#11 ·
I like my cortex but now I want more....

#12 ·
Haha! That's the "sickness"! I started with the cortex too......now look what happened!

#14 ·
I think when it comes to tunes you get what you pay for. I know many of my friends that have gone to Jeff Evans and he does amazing work. He will spend the whole day tuning your car making sure its not only faster but as drivable as possible. When I start modding that what im going to look for a good balance
of power and reliability

#15 ·
Start out with a used cortex, and when you are ready for the next step in mods (headers, cam, etc..) move on to a dyno tune. The cortex will hold its value and you should be able to get what you paid for it initially.

#17 ·
That's the way I'm doing it, for my mods I'm VERY happy with the Cortex, once the car is paid off and my powertrain warranty is up I'll end up modding more which will require a more n depth tune and I'll sell the Cortex for around the price I paid for it...it's full of win.

#16 ·
FWIW I have had both VMS and Livernois tunes and they were both great! Both companies will communicate with you as much and as quickly as possible to make sure your satisfied. That being said I do prefer the firmer shifting Livernois tune and it seems to give me better MPG. I'm sure if you let either one know what you want they will accommodate you. As stated above a custom tune is best IMO. I am getting a mild Pat G cam so not sure if Livernois will charge for a retune but eventually when I move back to TX I will be taking a trip to Victoria for a Pat G dyno tune.

#18 ·
DancesWithHooks ..well said

I like everything about my super chips link,great performance,shifts are neck snapping, mpg is nice. As I do mods to the car they rewrite the tune and email it. I just don't know how far they will go with the writing for the mods,it took them 2 weeks for my last rewrite. But hey there are a lot of other customers out there.

#19 ·
The best tune depends on your end results.

Cortex is excellent because it can be resold. It nets good results but it's not the best.

VMS, Livernois, and Pat G will customize the tune around your needs but cannot be resold. However, they can grow with your car (to an extent).

I've personally had 3 different tuners so far. The first was the Cortex and I was very happy with it. I ended up gifting it to a friend. The next was a local tuner who destroyed my car (Speed Secrets). The 3rd tuner I had was Pat G and I'm currently in the process of doing his tuning. He's been by far the best.

I chose Pat G over the others because I had a LOT of custom things made for my car. Pat picked out my cam and helped me choose updated sensors to make sure everything was monitored after my previous bad experience with the other local tuner, and I am completely happy with my experience.

If you want the ultimate tune, I would do a remote tune with Pat G at the helm. A dyno shop can temporarily install a Wideband to make sure your WOT AFR is correct during the tuning process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.