Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Just Got My Pontiac G8

3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  PONY MAN 
#1 ·
Just Got My Pontiac G8!
Ya Ya shoulda got a v8, now that ive said it i dont wanna hear it anymore. Beautiful V6 white G8 leather interior. Ive been compiling an extensive list of mods I have planned when I can afford them. I would love your input when I post about them. I also have a coulple of rediculously out there ideas for relpacing the in-dash screen and center stack to have navigation, bluetooth and to keep a near stock appearance.. More to follow if anyone is interested. Wanna know hmm how to drift in an automatic, thoughts, ideas, comments, please teach the tater.
Thanks All

#2 ·
Congrats on the purchase, you will love it. I have owned a lotus elise, 3 gtos, 2 tbss, wrx, evo, camaros, mustang, and my g8 gt is my favorite new car yet. They are built very well and have tons of features. As drifting goes, good set of tires, brakes and usually a aftermarket e brake assembly but i would not drift the g8 i would buy somthing else for that

#4 ·
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club. You won't be disappointed with the V6, it's still a great looking car with ample power and handling.
First mod should be a CAI and then the SOLO axlebacks.
Post up some pics when you get a chance.

#5 ·
I made a Powerpoint to show all the mods I thought might be good, but here is the short version:
~Roto-Fab Pontiac G8 V6/LY7 Air Intake System
~Trifecta Proformance Chip
~Solo Performance V6 G8 Axle Back
~BREMBO® - GT Series Slotted Brake Kit
~SPYDER® - Black LED Tail Lights
~G8 Aero underbody kit
~WeatherTech® - DigitalFit™ Molded Floor Liners
?GM rear diff assembly?
?Front &or Rear Diffuser?
---I have at least 5 or 6 more lesser ideas, and a ton of alternate brands I dont know which is better. Ive already done a lot of research, I have hundrends of questions for you guys. So if I dont ask it and you think I would like to know, teach the tater in the ways of wisdom of the G8.

#6 ·
Welcome and I gotta ask Pennsylvania & Alaska????

#7 ·
yes sir, i spend my time in PA for class, and the rest in Alaska for the most part. I know its sorta out there, the car is in PA, lol
2 more questions adding to my list above... headers?? and Colour Shifting Halos AAC STYLE... i would like to know more about them.

http://www.xforce.com.au/about-varex-remote-control-sports-muffler.php
That seemed very interesting, does anyone know if that would work for the v6? and if so could it be programmed to be on open in sport mode and more quiet in normal shift mode?

#9 ·
Congrats, Welcome & Good Luck Man. I just sold my 6er a little over a week ago. I will agree with others that it was my favorite car to date. The road handling is superb for a car this large. I have had cars that are made to handle (2002 Neon R/T and 2004 Stratus R/T) and there is no comparison (Well maybe the Neon). You will love driving this thing no doubt about that. BTW I sold it for a V8 : ) 2013 Dodge Charger R/T. The G8 is smaller, more agile and would just kill it in corners. I do kinda miss that.

As far as drifting is concened... Just want to be honest with ya. I hope you live in a climate where it snows otherwise you probably aint getting that a$$ end to kick out safely on ya stock. The tires (width) and suspention are just too good to get the rear tires cookin enough to get the rear end loose (Plus not quite powerful enough). Maybe if you are going 15-20 in a circle in a parking and drop it into first gear you could get the rears spinning enough to drift it a bit otherwise you may not have any luck. I just dont know about the whole idea of drifting on a country road. That may prove to be disasterous. If you are going to try this please find yourself a parking lot.

Best of Luck. You will love it.

#10 ·
lol, funny, im content for the moment having to back end wiggle on tight turns in the rain, any thoughts about the possible mods? yay/nay, suggestions? like/dislike? trying to get my feelers out there. If i can get enough people dropping advise ill keep you informed on how various self installed and mechanic installed after market goodies work.

#12 ·
Than you are more than covered if you want to kick out the rear n the rain. Just got to be careful cause it will kick out on ya quick even in the V6.
For Mods... Must weigh Performances vs. Sound on most exhaust Mods. For instance. you will hear a TON about X pipes. They will sound great but at the expense of low end torque since you are opening your exhaust so much. On a factory tune the torque curve is pushed out later in the power band. It will be a bit more sluggish off the line but will tear A$$ once you hit mid to high range RPMS. If you are a highway racer its your mod. If you are an aggressive city driver I would consider whats more important (Sound or performance). If you just do cold air induction and axle backs you are probably good to go. gain in all around performance as well as sound. Its when you get into major exhaust work one a factory tune that will get ya.

#14 ·
its all up to you : ) Do some searches on axle backs CAI X pipes and H pipes etc. you'll find what you need. good luck

#17 ·
Welcome. Nothing wrong with a v6er, mine is a "in sheeps clothing" of a v6er. :)

#19 ·
Welcome and Enjoy, Hazer and a few others of us have tinkered on the preformance end, and hazer has done the most extensave mods. He got her up to 242 H.P., I i have put Solo axlebacks and x-pipe and deleated mid muffler and both set of resoniators, K&N CAI and have mine up to 223 H.P.. Schwarts is another that has massaged his to , so lots of things to learn about the LY7,so ask away.As far as drifting not many people drift a 5 series BMW which ours are compaired to, besides she's a shade south of 4000 LB without anybody in her....

#21 ·
#23 ·
I made a Powerpoint to show all the mods I thought might be good, but here is the short version:
~Roto-Fab Pontiac G8 V6/LY7 Air Intake System
~Trifecta Proformance Chip
~Solo Performance V6 G8 Axle Back
~BREMBO® - GT Series Slotted Brake Kit
~SPYDER® - Black LED Tail Lights
~G8 Aero underbody kit
~WeatherTech® - DigitalFit™ Molded Floor Liners

?GM rear diff assembly?
?Front &or Rear Diffuser?
?headers?
Colour Shifting Halos AAC STYLE... i would like to know more about them.

http://www.xforce.com.au/about-varex...ts-muffler.php

Thats a rough condensed list of future mods I think seem good. PLEASE drop your thoughts and suggestions and or advise about those or other things. Thank You

Also, Im working on interfacing a double din system for replacing the screen and part of the head unit, when i work out more details I think you guys will find it MUCH better than ugly faceplate replacement and funky hvac screens, etc. Give me a few weeks or so, Ill try to keep you updated. If that fails I have another idea i could start on, but one research project at a time.

#25 ·
another couple questions i have, it was sort of explained but would like clarification, how does exhaust, catalytic converters, pipe sizes etc affect torque, hp, and in particular, their range. Gain torque or loose it at different rpms..

How does a pully system work? good for the v6 Ly7?

#26 ·
congrats on the new car and welcome to the forum! Nothing wrong with having a V6 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.