Pontiac G8 Forum banner

dex-cool question

14K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Gavine 
#1 ·
checked my dex-cool for the first time yesterday, the level is dead at the MIN line, im assuming thats not good, should i put some antifreeze in and how much should i fill it? and whats a good brand to put in? i never had to put in antifreeze before

#4 ·
There are several brands of the "Dex Cool" also. Carquest markets one, same stuff right down to the pretty orange color, and less expensive.

#5 ·
Any other brands that you know of? Mine is a little low and id rather not mix colors...

#7 ·
IDK if it is or not but id rather keep everything correct with this car. Im a little OCD. lol

My 95 GMC or my foxbody....no big deal but this car is only getting AC Delco or improved aftermarket parts. Not generic parts house stuff.

#15 ·
My radiator was full but my reserve is empty. I havent filled it yet. I need to buy some dexcool first. Ill flush mine in another year or two. Mine only has 27K miles on it and its an 09....

#12 ·
I checked mine and the radiator was low and the reservoir was empty. It took 72 oz. My only advice would be don't buy it pre-mixed. It's a rip. Buy full strength and mix 50:50 with water.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#20 · (Edited)
Do not mix different types of antifreeze. Some types work fine together, but there are combinations that will result in massive amounts of precipitate and damage your engine.

Dex Cool is fine. The old green stuff is fine. The universal pink stuff is fine. Just don't mix them together, and make sure not to leave them in the engine longer than they should be. The old green stuff should be changed within 2-4 years and Dex Cool more like 5-6 (if you must).

And especially don't use anything meant for German cars (e.g. Pentosin) unless you do a full flush. German cars in particular often use fluids totally incompatible with what most other brands use. Not saying you should flush it and use it, but do especially avoid it otherwise. (Just FYI..)

#28 ·
Yup, I normally use distilled water when flushing my radiators. I'll admit I used the filtered water from my refrigerator this time.

#30 · (Edited)
Anyone know what the capicity of the coolant is? I was going to flush it and I have looked all over the place but no luck.

#31 ·
6.0L V8 Engine 11.6 qt
3.6L V6 Engine 10.6 qt
The information is also located in the capacities and specifications portion of your owners manual.

#32 ·
My GT is now 5-years old and I changed my coolant. I bought a gallon of full-strength Prestone Dex-Cool for the job. I drained the radiator only using the blue plastic drain plug and about 4.5 quarts came out. I filled with water and drove around to mix it. Since the factory fill is 50/50, that diluted it down to about 33% strength. I then drained again and filled with the full-strength gallon to bring it back to about 50% strength again. The fluid was noticeably lighter on the second draining.

Although I didn't get all of the old coolant out, I feel that this procedure changed enough of the old fluid to be beneficial.

Be sure to turn the heat on so you mix with the heater core too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.