Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Thinking of trading in my car (G8 GT) for 2010 vette GS (white)

6K views 95 replies 22 participants last post by  Rich G 
#1 · (Edited)
Saw a mint condition 2010 GS Corvette coupe (white) the other day. Dealer worked out a half decent deal for my car, the GS also has the exhaust done, so it sounds mean! The GS vette has 22k km on it, it is an American car. The GS looks like this one, but not the car I was looking at, I got this off of the corvette forum:

The GS vette has the wide body (325s width tires out back) can corner at over 1G...SOB!!! I SO WANT!!! weighs about 500lbs lighter than the G8, suspension upgrades over the z51 package c6 vettes.

So pros for the vette:
- Lighter more meaner stance (z06 appearance package, with z06 breaks)
- better suspension compared to the c6 regular vette.
- White color is a plus (no stripes anywhere, just full flat white, see above pic) - i have a weakness for white.
- Corners like its on rails (yup no kidding, 325s grip the road well)
- Stops on a dime
- Modding = getting better results at the drag strip or road course due better power to weight ratio
- No navi, but I dont really care
- Dry sump oil cooling
- Hand built LS3 with forged crank. (or so I read, also has stronger pistons and valves compared to the regular c6)

Cons for the vette:
- Winter driving = out of the question
- 2 seater = not much space for a group
- high maintenance over the long run?
- attracts attention, sometimes the wrong kind of attention
- low ground clearance = many more chances of bottoming out.
- possible massive price fall due to C7 debut.

Pros for the G8:
- Seats 4 to 5 easily
- Easy to drive automatic trans (stop and go traffic = no worries)
- drive able in snow with a good set of winters on
- unique and good looking
- Trunk space
- Does not attract too much attention, flies under the radar.

Cons for the G8:
- HEAVY!!!

At the end of the day they are two separate cars geared at two separate audiences. I understand that some might view the cross shopping of the two as a fools errand.....that being said, it makes me wonder what it would feel like to have a 'real' sports car. Curiosity is killing me.:(

See less See more
#41 ·
Again, you have to consider Canadian prices. No way you'll find a new Vette of ANY sort up here for $45k. Even dropped off the truck they'd go for more than that LOL. The OP has already told us what the price is for the one he's considering, and so that's what I am considering.

Sure, you can mod a Vette, but then you still have mod dollars being spent.

#42 ·
I was quoting current deals in the US. From my understanding, those cars can't be exported to Canada. Anyway, my point was that you were talking about spending $20k in mods to outrun a stock vette. That's great, but I don't know of many stock vettes, at least in my area :)

#43 ·
Fair enough, but you'll always have someone faster than you, no matter what you drive or how modded it is; where does the maddness end? :) If he's just looking for Vette-like performance, a modded G8 will get there.

Money not being an issue, get an Alpha Omega GTR if you want to be top-dog in speed - $180k and likely NO Vette will ever touch you.

#44 ·
I've seen that GTR. It is all kinds of mental. As per the topic, I would also vote for keeping and modding the G8. It's just such a great and unique car.

#46 ·
LOL! Maybe, although that's a lot of wasted energy, going up in the air like that :).

#47 ·
Alpha Omega GTR. 8.62 at 173.8 trap speed. End of discussion.

#48 ·
#50 ·
#52 ·
Not to mention the underground racing Gallardo, which is one of the best sounding cars I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp4F8qLHj2M" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp4F8qLHj2M"> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp4F8qLHj2M" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

As mentioned, there is always someone faster :)

Yup, those things are crazy, and not bad dollar-wise, from what I've heard. It gets my full respect as well! The fact you also get Lambo cachet with that performance is just icing on the cake!

Sorry, OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread ^_^.

#57 ·
Sorry to thread jack op, just love a good car debate.

#59 ·
no worries Karl; debate away:)

#58 ·
Wow...awesome Corvette.

#60 ·
Thanks dude. I get a little worked up sometimes. :drink:

#63 ·
Why not the best of both worlds and get a GXP? A few for sale on the board here....

#65 ·
I think its the driving experience. I drove a base C6 this summer and from a power perspective it was the same from an acceleration as my level of mods, but the braking and turning was outstanding (and it was not magentic ride pkg). Ive seen the light in regards to turning and stopping.

VJ u going for LS3 or stopping or turning? What do you want to do?

#64 ·
+1^ on the GXP but that Vette looks amazing... Can't go wrong either way VJ...

#67 ·
Sounds like you know what you need to do.

#69 ·
Finally picked up on this thread to see what was going on. Amazing what a "good deal" is on a relatively new Corvette.
My first new car was a Corvette, bought it new in 1972 down on Eight Mile Rd
past Evergreen at Dexter Chevrolet. $5250 delivered with a full tank of gas.
Sorry, couldn't help it........

#72 ·
I said it once I will say it again...... GXP GXP GXP

#73 ·
Well i think instead of going GXP route, i might just swap a motor and do the trans up in my GT (402 forged motor and built trans)

#74 ·
That's a beast for the making

#75 ·
Well, I think the G8 is going to get stored for now. I will be driving around in a prelude to try and save kms on the G8 + wear and tear.

The deal fell apart as the dealer would not meet me at my price. After much back and forth yesterday, I walked out and said they can keep it, I did not want a 2010 GS that bad for the price they were asking, i could not swallow the fact that I was covering 75 percent + on the price of what a new c7 would start off at.

Oh well just wait for the C7 for now.

#76 ·
Well, I think the G8 is going to get stored for now. I will be driving around in a prelude to try and save kms on the G8 + wear and tear.

The deal fell apart as the dealer would not meet me at my price. After much back and forth yesterday, I walked out and said they can keep it, I did not want a 2010 GS that bad for the price they were asking, i could not swallow the fact that I was covering 75 percent + on the price of what a new c7 would start off at.

Oh well just wait for the C7 for now.
VJ,

You are your own boss and know what you want inside. Before you go off on the g8 modding spree wait until c7 pricing comes out and drive a c7. Dont worry about the deal falling through. The dealership is losing out anyways. They'll call you back once they see they cant sell it @ the price they're asking.

#77 ·
C7 is worth the wait. The grand sport will depreciate a lot more than your g8 will in the time it takes the C7 to be ready for delivery. No shame in walking away from a sour deal.

#79 ·
C7 is worth the wait. The grand sport will depreciate a lot more than your g8 will in the time it takes the C7 to be ready for delivery. No shame in walking away from a sour deal.
+++++++++++1

#78 ·
Time is on your side VJ you can afford to wait them out...

#80 ·
#82 ·
2011 GS convertible went through Adesa Toronto today. Convertible, auto 22k, previous US, rear tires were bald and it still pulled ridiculous money...$51k so by the time you get it retail ready, you'd have a really overpriced C6....

#83 ·
you should still do this...

#84 ·
well, i am gonna hold out till the c7 comes out, my car is garaged most of the time now so its not accumulating KMs. I will see what they price those at and see how it impacts the c6 prices and then make a decision to either keep the g8 or go ahead with a vette.

#85 ·
G8 value may go down due to fall Chevy SS launch. Also GM probably won't discount them first year. Up 2 u

#87 ·
I think of the SS as free advertising for the G8. If the SS costs around $50k, demand for the G8 might suddenly increase. I can imagine people bragging that they got nearly the same car for half the price.

#86 ·
dont buy an auto vette

#88 ·
It's interesting to read opinions regarding the C6. I've had my C6 auto since 06 and have never had a problem with it. I get 29-30 mpg on the highway, and it's a DD with my G8 Gt and F150 Lightning. All three cars have never been back to the dealer for any recalls or service.
The C6 has been the most trouble free Vette that I've owned. The traffic in and around LA more or less demands an auto in my vehicles. Everyone's opinion is just that, an opinion. Mine is fact based. My C6 has been incredidibly reliable and a joy to drive. If fact based C6 info is what you want, get on to the Vette Owners Forum and post your concerns. I spend more time and money on the G8 fixing suspension related problems than any car that I've ever owned. I've never had a front alignment on the C6 in the seven years I've owned it. Just have to replace those soft tires every two years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.