Dry vs. Oiled filter

• Dry

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • Oiled

Votes: 12 36.4%

Roto-Fab: Dry filter vs. Oiled filter

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  mlittleton 
#1 ·
Guys, asking for your opinions on the dry vs. oiled filter for the roto-fab. I've been in the euro scene for the past several years and BMW's and Audi's seem to be particularly sensitive to oiled filters casuing MAF issues so most just go with dry (including me). I'm about to purchase my roto-fab at MarylandSpeed and noticed they offer the choice for either. Any good arguments either way between the two?

1. I know the oiled filter is reusable/rechargable. Should last the life of the vehicle.
2. The dry filter is a throw-away after 60k to 100k miles according to MS.

My preference is towards the dry filter as I typically don't like oily gooey messy things under my hood if I can help it. Anywho, interested in any experienced feedback. Thanks!

#2 ·
I had the dry for the same reason you stated, didn't want to deal with the oil and possible MAF problems.

If that is your preference go for it, I don't see much difference between the two.

#3 ·
I have the oiled one. All intakes that I have had in the past are the rechargeable kind, so i prefer to clean it and re oil when need be. Just my thoughts. Its nothing oily, gooey or messy under the hood. Just a light oiling of the filter to help it entrap particles.

But if you over oil the filter it can cause problems...

#4 ·
Appreciate the info guys. BTW I moved to ATL from Raleigh/Cary area and still have friends there and in Holly Springs also. Let me know if you guys plan any meets as I'd happily roll up for a weekend! I do miss the Carolina's.

#5 ·
Yea come on with it. Im pushing to have any future meets take place out the track (1/4 mile in Fayetteville). All the room in the world to have a meet and greet plus we can have some fun without the cops being a pain in the ass...

I will be going to test and tune this Saturday. All are welcome to join...

#7 ·
Just going by the description given on the MS website. I was ready to purchase today but held off pending feedback from this thread. I do know aFe makes a damn good filter.

#8 ·
I agree with zodiak. I have the dry filter from MS with only about 2000 miles with it right now. The only real reason I went with dry over oiled is the easy maintenance and no risk of damaging the MAF.

#9 ·
thx Codebro man your MGM is lookin sharp! BTW i added a poll so vote away!

#10 ·
Always dry filter. K&N oil coats MAFs even stock. It is NOT limited to people who do a poor job recharging their filters as some claim. Maybe some end up having to do it less than others, but those that claim it DOESN'T have to be done are wrong or liars.

Never use K&N filters. Is cleaning the MAF a couple times a year that big a deal? Not really, but when it has absolutely zero benefit over a good dry filter, then WHY?

#12 ·
Cleaning the MAF isn't all that bad though I tend to agree with Dan. If you can avoid it why not? Bob they sell MAF spray cleaner at any decent auto parts store. I use this for my BMW. MAF Cleaner

#14 ·
Oiled all the way. The cotton is not there to filter the air, the oil is. The cotton is there to hold the oil. Its the whole idea behind the design K&N marketed. Oiled filters have had a rap of messing up sensors. The reason why is because they are over-oiled, even from K&N. They know the filters will be on the shelf for a while and factor in evaporation. Ive never had an issue with a sensor nor anyone that I know but once and we cleaned his MAF and never had an issue.

#17 ·
Thanks again for all the great feedback guys. I ordered the dry :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.