Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Installing a WB sensor in the stock O2 bung

6K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  brentsten 
#1 ·
I would like to install a WB in one of my pre-CAT stock O2 bungs. Does anyone know of any WB that outputs both 0-1V and 0-5V to work with HP Tuners and feed my ECM a like stock signal. I believe the factory O2 sensor outputs 0-1V. I'm fine with cutting a stock O2 sensor so I can use the connector to connect into the harnes. The car is a GXP

Would I need to put a resistor across the heating circuit on the stock O2 sensor side. If so, any idea what value? Any help or links would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Thanks. I've seen that.

I'm trying to do it without the addtional bung. I found some WBs that output both voltage ranges. I think I can just splice into the stock O2 sensor harness signal wires and feed in the 0-1V from the WB and leave the heating circuit wires connected so it will heat as if it were in the exhaust stream. Then just tie it back to keep out of the way.
My only concerns with this is could it overload the sensor heating circuit because the O2 sensor would be heating continually heating w/o being in the O2 stream?

#4 ·
Innovate LC-1 can do it.

#6 ·
Yeah, I don't want to grind the coating of carbon steel headers to TIG in the bung. I found out I can just tie the NB output into the harness input for that O2 sensor. Now I just need to fine a wiring diagram for the harness connected to the ECM. Does anyone have this or a link to it.

Also, does anyone know the P/N of the GXP ECM and where to get one at a good price. I've searched around and found conflictign P/Ns. I guess I could dig down an pull mine out. Thanks.

#7 · (Edited)
Bump. I'm installing headers on my car tonight/this week and would rather use a wide band in place of the stock o2 so I don't have to add another bung. Ill be feeding it into hptuners eventually, just waiting for a good price on a used one to pop up. But like the OP asked, will it feed the ecm as well?

Edit: Nevermind, looks like the outputs are different. I'd need a controller to feed it back into the ecm.

#8 ·
Juts add a bung in the right location, while the headers are out of the car. cheap and easy, and you won't have to mess with it except when replacing the WB sensor if needed later on. We have pics showing the bung if you didn't order the headers with the bung in place. you can order Kooks with an extra bung for a WB for example.

#9 ·
I would like to install a WB in one of my pre-CAT stock O2 bungs. Does anyone know of any WB that outputs both 0-1V and 0-5V to work with HP Tuners and feed my ECM a like stock signal.
I looked into this some time ago because I didn't want to weld on my beautifully coated Kooks LT's. The PLX WB controller does this. I bought it with the DM-6 Gauge. The problem with doing this is if there is any difference with the calibration/readings between the WB controller signal and the stock NB signal the Left bank NB readings will be different from the Right bank NB readings and these get used to control fueling for the engine. So I finally decided to leave the the stock NB's and weld a bung into the front of my High Flow CAT. It was tight and closer to the CAT than I wanted to be for the WB but it wouldn't corrupt the stock NB signal in any way. So follow the advise that many others have already provided and weld in a new bung.

#10 ·
Get the bung welded in before the cats and do it right the first time......

#11 ·
I deleted the cats, so I'm just going to install it in the rear bung since they'll be turned off anyway. I don't know why I didn't think of doing it that way in the first place. Is there any opinion on left bank vs right?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#13 ·
I have thought about doing this as well.

#12 ·
That makes sense. I just assumed you had cats.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App

#14 ·
Just an extra note for anyone considering using the rear bung for a wide band, you cannot do this if you still have cats. The wide band needs to be placed before the cat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#18 ·
i ran the LC-1 on my mustang few years back and it was a royal pita and their reset/reteach procedure got old and am now having lot better luck with the aem setup although don't belive they would give you the 0-1v output you're looking for but obviously come with the 0-5v

also, lot of the aftermarket WB02s are not made for turbo setups and won't last as long with the added heat. i found a slick litle heat sink setup from dynotunenitrous that's increased the life of the sensors. lot of them are out of oem vw made by bosch.

pk's $0.02

#20 ·
The cats use oxygen, which is what the O2 sensor measures. Therefore a post-cat O2 sensor can read leaner than the pre-cat. The exact amount is hard to determine, especially for WOT operation, which is richer than stoich - so you would think there would be NO oxygen in the exhaust stream. This of course is not true, but there is less. The cats do have some residual O2 storage, but I believe that a full WOT blast would exhaust this. Then one might think the post-cat O2 might read about the same as the pre-cat.

I have had my local dyno operator tell me that his tailpipe WB O2 reads about .1 leaner than a pre-cat. Take it with a grain of salt. I imagine he is referring only to the full WOT run and not steady-state cruising, but who knows? I hope to get a WB O2 kit installed this year and I will go to the dyno and compare my numbers with his and report back to this forum.

#21 ·
from what i've seen on the dyno (from dealing with my car and also having worked at one) it can be as much as 0.25 but most tuners don't dial in street cars that tight so doesn't matter anyways.

#22 ·
So what are you guys using to seal up the open electical connector once the rear O2 is removed? Is there a place to buy just the pigtail?

#24 ·
I dont really want to cut up good sensor. I might want to reinstal for demod down the road... The sensor itself is pricey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.