Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Best "kill" ever: '92? Volkswagen Cabriolet

5K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Ed Cetron 
#1 ·
OK. Here's how the story goes:

I head out of the office for a quick bite to eat. I'm driving down the main stretch, minding my own business and driving how I normally do... no quick starts or hammering on the car... more or less just cruising.

I get ready to turn into the local Taco Bell and there's a black VW Cabriolet right on my ass. I was a little ticked but thought that maybe the 40 year old dork behind the wheel was near-sighted and was maybe just trying to figure out what kind of car I was driving. Then I see his goofy grin in my mirror. WTF.

I pull in and park. This guy follows me in. WTF x2. He gets out of his car and ambles towards me, still grinning. WTF x3. Picture Barney Fife having an overweight 40 year old grandson. WTF x4.

The conversation then went something like this:

Barney's grandson: "Bro, I almost had you!"

Me: WTF x5... "What are you talking about?"

Barney's grandson: "Off that light. I was right with you. My car's pretty fast!"

Me: WTF x6... "Seriously? I didn't even know you were there."

Barney's grandson: "I still kept up with you."

Me: WTF x7... "OK. Do I get to use more than 1/4 of the go pedal next time?"

Barney's grandson: WTF x1... "Huh?"

Me: "Nevermind."

This is my first accidental "kill". I have heard of such instances before but I have never experienced one for myself. I'm still cracking up about it. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

See less See more
#2 ·
accidental kill........ genius.

#5 ·
God, I hope not. Maybe its time to change the wheels, possibly even paint the car. Maybe he won't recognize it.

#4 ·
Lmfao!

#6 ·
I still am.

#8 ·
You almost had me? You never had me! You never had your car! Granny shiftin', not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didnt blow the welds on the intake. Almost had me? Now me and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings you fried! Ask any racer, any real racer, it don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.

#9 ·
That's exactly what went through my head when he said it.

#11 ·
LOL.. that's hilarious.

#14 ·
At least as many as the wheels on his "ride". I'm not even sure that a '92 VW Cabriolet qualifies for that term.

#17 ·
Super funny! How in the hell does he think he's racing you from behind?

Maybe he was going for a reach around....... :)

#18 ·
Same thing happened to me a long time ago... I was driving my '65 Malibu SS Convertible, with a de-stroked 400 small-block (377ci), and this guy in a Nova pulls up next to me at a light. He revs his engine...I laugh....the light turns green, and I just keep the nose in front of his, as he's furiously revving his engine...we pull up to the next light, and he wants another go...I take it up to about 20mph, then floor it, smoking the tires all the way through second gear and leaving him so far behind it was funny...I could see the expression on his face in the mirror... He pulls up to me at the next light, and says, 'It must be nice to have nitrous!' I laugh at him, and tell him that I don't, but he won't believe me, insisting that I'm on the bottle... Guess he'd never seen an engine that was built before...or could believe that an older car could beat his...

I am having so much fun with this GXP...I want another one... It's good to be the King...

#19 ·
Same thing happened to me a long time ago... I was driving my '65 Malibu SS Convertible, with a de-stroked 400 small-block (377ci), and this guy in a Nova pulls up next to me at a light. He revs his engine...I laugh....the light turns green, and I just keep the nose in front of his, as he's furiously revving his engine...we pull up to the next light, and he wants another go...I take it up to about 20mph, then floor it, smoking the tires all the way through second gear and leaving him so far behind it was funny...I could see the expression on his face in the mirror... He pulls up to me at the next light, and says, 'It must be nice to have nitrous!' I laugh at him, and tell him that I don't, but he won't believe me, insisting that I'm on the bottle... Guess he'd never seen an engine that was built before...or could believe that an older car could beat his...

I am having so much fun with this GXP...I want another one... It's good to be the King...
Back in my younger days, I used to do a fair amount of cruising and street racing. I had a nasty little '92 Mustang hatchback with a fully built 331 stroker, full suspension, everything short of a power adder. It would've been right around 2003 when the new Cobras were hitting the streets. I ran into a guy that had exhaust, a pulley, and a tune. He tried 2 or 3 times and I would pull on him every time. The car had a very noticeable whistle from the throttle body. He swore up and down that it was blown. He asked me how much boost I was running. I told him "zero". He said BS. Then it was "what size shot?" None. He pulled into the gas station with me. After a few minutes of talking, he paid me $20 to pop my hood and let him look. If he found a power adder, he got his $20 back. He lost the race and his 20. He was pretty frustrated.

#20 ·
Those are great stories! We have an amusement park in our town, so we get a lot of out of town traffic in the summer (if someone turns left in front of me from the right lane again, grrrrr). Back in high school when I just had a V6 Sierra, a guy in a new Firebird with out of state plates wanted to race me from a stop sign. I was in the right lane and he was in the left lane. I didn't rev or anything to indicate I also wanted to race because I knew this street goes back to 2 way on the other side of the intersection. Well cross traffic clears, and he gives it all he's got not knowing he is flying down the wrong lane of a residential street. Luckily there was no other traffic and he didn't end up killing anyone.

#24 ·
I let my better half borrow the daily driver the other day... Bad move on my part... she picked a fight with an M5.... poor guy, he spent twice the bucks and got STOMPED by a little ole lady ROFLMAO... I had to get my keys back when she went to bed.... even today on the NJ Turnpike in traffic at 3 mph and the manual, it was STILL a pleasure to drive....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.