Pontiac G8 Forum banner

TPMS matching process outlined

45K views 82 replies 36 participants last post by  PONY MAN 
#1 · (Edited)
The TPMS matching process is outlined below:

1. Set the parking brake.

2. Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.

3. Press and hold the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter’s lock and unlock buttons, at the same time, for about five seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn chirps two times indicating the TPMS receiver is ready and in learn mode.

4. Start with the driver side front tire.

5. Remove the valve cap from the tire’s valve stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire’s air pressure for about eight seconds. The horn chirps one time to confirm the sensor identification code has been matched to the tire/wheel position.

6. Proceed to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

7. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

8. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.

9. After the driver side rear TPMS sensor has been learned the horn chirps two times. The TPMS sensor matching process is done. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.

If no tires are learned after entering the TPMS learn mode, or if communication with the receiver stops, or if the time limit has expired, turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and start over beginning with Step 2.

10. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.

11. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is also illustrated in your owner's manual.

#5 · (Edited)
Yes it is. The only thing I can add is that I remove the valve stem caps before I begin the process. It really is pretty simple process.

#6 ·
I am looking at purchasing a 2nd set of wheels for a winter tire package. I plan on purchasing New GM TPMS parts for the winter package. Will this process work so that when I put the winter tires on I can pair them with the car? Basically I want to have two sets of TPMS one in each of the 8 total wheels/tires. Can I use this process? or do I have to go to a dealership?

#7 ·
Yep. That's how I have it. I have a winter set on the stock GT rims, and a summer set of rubber on my V6 twinspoke rims. Works flawlessly.

After you get the new tires and TPMS mounted and put on your car, simply follow along with the procedure that SRG963 posted at the top of this thread. Now your car's TPMS setup is "mated" to the tires that are currently on your car. Likewise, your other set of tires that have TPMS sensors but are no longer installed on your car have been somewhat "forgotten" by your car for the time being.

When you rotate or swap out your set of tires&rims next time, simply repeat the entire procedure with only the tires that are to stay on the car for the next while. Then whichever tires you took off or are in storage, will be removed from the system and you are good to go.

Hope this helps!!

--zepcom

#8 ·
Last month when I took off my stock 19" wheels and tires,and replaced them with my winter wheels and tires with TPMS, I could not pair them after numerous attempts using the procedure in the manual. I got a TPMS FAULT message. I took it to the dealer and was told the system could not handle more than 4 different TPMS sensors, but they could reset it for $28.95. They told me I would have to do this whenever I switched the wheels. Paid them their blood money and they reset them. I think they're full of it! When spring gets here, if ever, I'm going to attempt the procedure myself again until get it right.
By the way, after the blizzard we got Tuesday and Wednesday dropping about 20" of snow and 4-5 ft. drifts, I've not had any trouble driving my GT
with the Michelin Alpin's.

#9 ·
That sucks for sure.

Timing and "order" is important... when I do it (I've done it close to 6 times with no issues, several different sets of rims) ... I pull off the valve caps on all 4 wheels first, roll down the drivers window completely, activate the start of the procedure, and with the corner of my key, start the process by letting the air out of each tire in turn. The corner blinker lights tell you which tire to do next. Once it's all done, then fill up the fronts to 35 and the rears to 39, or so!

#11 ·
I assume the TPMS sensors communicate with the cars computer via some sort of radio signal. Do you think the fact I have one of the summer wheels in the trunk as a spare, and the other three stacked up next to the car in the garage, could cause some confusion in the signal?
Also, when I attempted to reset the system the drivers side front was the only one to respond with the horn chirp. Maybe I didn't release or increase the air pressure long enough to activate the others. After reading your response, I see it isn't necessary to set the exact tire pressure until each
wheel relearned the new sensor. That could also be my problem.
Thanks for the info, it may do the trick.

#12 ·
I use the corner of the flip key to let the air out at a medium pace... the horn chirps after maybe 5 seconds for each one. Never had a problem. If you try to get your fingernail in there you might be right, you may not be letting the air out quick enough. No worries, after it's all done, you can fill them back up to spec. If the tire starts to show a dip (you've let out enough to be <20 pounds of pressure) then I'd abort mission as something isn't right and you'll need to fill it back up before you try again. You DO NOT WANT to de-bead the tire off the rim (run it flat) via this procedure... so be aware of how much air you let out. Maybe pump them all to 40 prior to this exercise then you'll have sufficient air in them to let out.

Once the learn process is started, as long as there are 4 sequential new sensor-ID's learned, the other tires, no matter their proximity, are no longer stored.

I have a TPMS-installed full size spare in my trunk, but it's "not in the system" until I rotate it in via the above method. That sensor never gets queried because my most recent "learn" exercise did not include letting air out of that particular 'spare' tire. Same goes for the ones in the stack on the garage. Make sense?

#16 ·
lol on lawnmower dance.

I saw it more of a one-man Nascar Pit Crew exercise. lol

#18 ·
FYI, Some Costco tire center's (depending on location) have a scan tool, and would be willing to reset the TPMS system as well. They also stock the sensors and stems, and very competitive prices, eBay may be cheaper still, but just a thought.

#19 ·
Just an update: Switched back to the summer tires and wheels last Saturday, and followed Zepcons advice. Everything went real smooth with no problems!
Thanks again.:wink2:

#20 ·
2 months ago I purchased a set of used OEM 19" Sport wheels with OEM Tires, TPMS Sensors and center caps. I am about to put them on for the first time and was reviewing the process. When I took the wheels in to check the balance the guy mentioned I'd have to get the sensors re-set. I didn't say anything to him, thinking this was an attempt to milk some money out of me. But after thinking about it for a while, I am second guessing myself. Does anybody know how this process will work with sensors that have been previously used with another car?

#28 ·
Just Like Pairing Bluetooth

2 months ago I purchased a set of used OEM 19" Sport wheels with OEM Tires, TPMS Sensors and center caps. I am about to put them on for the first time and was reviewing the process. When I took the wheels in to check the balance the guy mentioned I'd have to get the sensors re-set. I didn't say anything to him, thinking this was an attempt to milk some money out of me. But after thinking about it for a while, I am second guessing myself. Does anybody know how this process will work with sensors that have been previously used with another car?
I can tell you that I had a sensor replaced ath the dealership. The relearning process is shown in your owner's manual. Even if you change only one sensor, you must relearn all of them in the order listed in the manual. As many of the guys have said, I would agree to take all valve stem caps off first just so you do not have to fool with them while you are working against the clock. I really believe that the system doesn't care what sensors you have as long as each's battery is still good. It's learning each one by the changing air pressure.:judge:

#23 ·
I noticed with the new OEM sensors I purchased off EBAY that the learn process took a lot longer than it did with the original sensors.
I would say it took about 15 seconds for each wheel. My air pressure dropped down to 25 psi when I finally got the honk confirmation.

#25 ·
I just put my summers on. Whats weird is, I put the winter tires in the basement, then get in the G8 and start it up. Still sees the tires. Wow, I'm thinking its reading the tires in the basement. Pretty cool. Then I drive away. Still reading them. Then I drive all day long, and never get an error, and the tire pressures stay at 35 front 37 rear, even without them reading any sensors. So I got stuck in some kinda default mode where it just shows 35/37psi?? Never got an error.

When i got home, I did the sync process and now I'm getting read numbers from the summer tires. Was just weirded out how I got locked on 35/37psi with no sensors in range.

#27 ·
The day that I took my G8 home, I got a TP system failure warning message. After reprogramming the wheel sensors, all has been fine since. I just figured thta the dealer had swapped wheels.

#29 ·
Just did this this past weekend when I put my summer rubber back on. Thanks again SRG963!

#30 ·
Bot a used set of wheels/tires with TMPS off the site. Very pleased but can't get the TMPS to learn. Tried multiple times and one time was able to get one wheel to recognize. I tried again using one of the oem wheels and it worked in 4 seconds. Sounds to me like potentially a battery/sender issue.

The question, are the batteries in the wheel units replaceable or do I need to buy new units?

Of course, other ideas appreciated

TIA

#31 ·
I was thinking about this lately, why mine took so long to learn. I think it's because my factory wheels were sitting in the garage near where I was performing the learn process.

I wonder if you move your car some distance away from where your other wheels are if you can get them to learn.

#35 ·
I was thinking about this lately, why mine took so long to learn. I think it's because my factory wheels were sitting in the garage near where I was performing the learn process.

I wonder if you move your car some distance away from where your other wheels are if you can get them to learn.
I've rotated tires several times and re-learned TPS's on my G8 and also my SAAB 9-7 with them parked next to each other. There is no interference between them.
For the hell of it, I started the re-learn mode on the G8 and let air out of one of the SAAB tires and the G8 TPS system picked up the SAAB sensor.

#32 ·
Having seen one of the sensors, I do not believe that the batteries are accessible. I recommend asking a dealer just to be sure. My experience with my Corvette is if you can't get a sensor to train, you must replace the sensor.

#33 ·
i just thought about this yesterday. but i have micky thomson tires on camaro ss rims i plan to put them on and take it to the track what will the tpms do if i dont have the sensors in these wheels? i think ill get sensors for them soon but say i wanted to run them at 30 psi would the car tell me there to low or can i somehow adjust the sensors to say thats the pressure i want ?

#34 ·
You will probably get a TPMS system needs service light.

#36 ·
+1. You'll actually have two lights, one on the dic that reads tpms sensor fault or something along the same lines. You can acknowledge the message and turn off the chime, but it'll still remain at the very bottom portion of the dic with a symbol by it. Also, the yellow, low tire pressure light will continuously illuminate on the dash and it can't be turned off.

#37 ·
Thanks guys. I agree, there should be no need to move other tires away. While in learn mode, the system is simply looking for a sensor within range that has a significant change in pressure and once found it assumes that must be the designated corner of the vehicle.

Sounds like I need to try another time or two and then buy some sensors if it still doesn't work.

JM

#38 ·
We used a tool at the GM dealership I use to work at. We relearned the TPMS for free on every car we rotated the wheels on, also any customer who came in and asked. We had a tool, no need to let any air out, just held it near each valve stem and used all the same steps outlined in the original post. So if you can't figure it out, simply ask your dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.