Throttle body porting! - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > G8 Talk (V6)

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
cpbeaulieu

So I can swap the throttle bodies themselves instead of sending them mine because its my DD
cpbeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #22
HVYCHVY

Unless I'm looking at the wrong part, a new V6 TB is only 75ish US. Buy it, have it shipped it to Vmax for porting, then shipped to you.
2008 MGM Maggie 1900, Yank 3200, Kooks to Corsa, Camaro Brembos, Roto-Fab CIA, ATI Balancer, Snakey's Homelink, Auto Dim Mirror, BMR Sway Bars, BC Coilovers VMR. Tuned By Redline Motorsports. 524 HP 454 TQ. 1/4 times: 11.82 @ 120 (TRP 5/3/14)
HVYCHVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #23
LuminaME

Since in OEM throttle body porting, the TB flab blade size won't change (hence what can be considered as a bottle neck for air flow), I tired to search where possible gain may come from. Following is what I could come out with.

This is an exagerated sketch of porting on OE throttle body, keeping OE flab plate.

From above:
(A) Partial Throttle, porting OE TB relates as giving more gap space to air flow at a given partial throttle position %P. The increased air flow (due to increased gap) translates to increased power at that given partial throttle %P. If we draw power vs TBP grapgh, we would notice power band shift toward lower TBP values. In real life, reporting "better throttle response" IMO is just descriping this shift of power band curve (more power for less throttle).

(B) WOT, the bottle neck remains same (OE flab size not increased), hence wouldn't see direct increase in air flow that can actually add direct power gain. But due to shape of air flow passage, Ported TB shape might have "less friction" to air flow compared to original OE TB. This might yield few horses to power peak.

!!

Transformation

Last edited by LuminaME; 01-17-2013 at 12:36 PM.
LuminaME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #24
SonicBoom

is this the same as polishing the TB or can that be done on top of porting?
Slotted Rotors
matching 08 Hayabusa-Sold
SonicBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #25
LuminaME

I guess "porting" should go little farther than "polishing" by removing littl material from TB inner wall surface. Although both work in same line, to reduce friction to intake air flow (by more area and/or less wall friction).

On a side note, got call from postoffice today, I've got package (from Vmax ). Shall collect package tomorrow, but would take few days for weather to clearup and put it on to see what/how it does.

Transformation
Old 02-15-2013, 02:53 AM   #26
LuminaME

At last weather cleared a bit and I got chance to put Vmax ported TB on car today.

Install was straight forward, but took me sometime cleaning trace of my old TB paper gasket .
While at it, I took chance to do little chamfer on intake manifold port entry edge . Also I smoothed/polished intake manifold neck (wherever I could reach inside with my fingers and sandpaper-400). Then cleaned every thing, put new oem metal gasket and new TB. Pluged, reconnected battery, and switched on and let it set idling for couple minutes.

I didnt drive it yet, but from today:
1- got no CEL (myself was worried, because oem TB part number given to Vmax to pick and process, I had %0.001 doubt about, because my car isn't actually 2008 G8 LY7, but the Aussi 2007 variant LE0 engine which is basicly same but not %100 identical).

2- while idling I pushed pedal few times, that intake whistle which I have due my CAI at certain gas pedal position, for sure today came at earlier pedal position.

Thats about it for now. Later will give driving feedback and/or any fuel consumption effect.

Transformation
Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #27
LuminaME

Today I drive it with new TB, and got first feel.

- Fuel: Reset dash trip meters. Then on approx 30miles combined city/highway road to work, trip computer showed 10.6Ltr/100km. Previous measure was 10.9Ltr/100km on same road, same traffic hour and conditions (winter and same avg climate). Shall see later if it continues like that on long term fuel consumption average.
Edit: Day3 after ECU reset, have driven around 150miles, did another reset to trip computer, displayed fuel consumption on same road/conditions 10.3Ltr/100km.
(average speed in all measures was 54-55km/hr)

- Throttle response on rolling: This is where I loved it and noticed improvement. Pushing pedal in gradually, response felt more steady and linearly linked to pedal as in "push-go". Previously there was a spot right before autoshift kicks in when car felt like "push-think-wait-go" !

- From a stop: tad little better throttle response. But I wouldn't place high bets on this!

- Power/Torque gains: sorry, no dyno to prove any. And my buttutronic dyno isn't quite accurate below 20hp

Transformation

Last edited by LuminaME; 02-18-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #28
DavidMay

so just to sum everything up here, you sent in your OEM TB to vmax, and they ported it and sent it back to you correct? or did i miss something, and also how much in all did you spend on this mod? and also how long did it take to get your TB back to you after you sent it?
DavidMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #29
LuminaME

having international shipping involved, I didn't do it on exchange base. 2way international shipping wouldn't be feasible!. I paid for core new TB.

I gave Vmax oem TB part number, they bought brand new oem, processed, and shipped to me. It took them around 10days (to get oem piece, and do the porting job), add another 10days till I got it (international shipping).

Vmax charge on porting job -on exchange base: $150.
(and in my case another $210 for core unit and international postage.)

hope I've answered it clear.

Transformation
Old 02-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #30
DavidMay

yeah that helps, and after running with it for awhile whats the overall rating on this mod? worth everything you put into it?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #31
LuminaME

Driving for a week with ... I liked, and would recommend it only at exhange cost base.

Paying for a core would make this too expensive from gain vs cost view .... (sadly that was only way my case).

Transformation
Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #32
DavidMay

and by "paying for core" you mean paying for a completely new TB and sending it to them right?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #33
LuminaME

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMay View Post
and by "paying for core" you mean paying for a completely new TB and sending it to them right?
Yes.

May be if this rolls on, they get to have units in hand to send first, then user returns the old unit after installing ported one. Thats how they're running with Camaro community.

Transformation
Old 02-24-2013, 03:27 AM   #34
hazer396
Facebook Moderator

2rwhp gain? lol
hazer396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #35
DavidMay

that it? lol
Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
LuminaME

I dont know about whp gain, coz it's not noticable (no dyno to measure any). If any it would be somewhere around that , not more than 5whp at max .

But improvement I noticed is on throttle respose while rolling.

Transformation
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #37
knglibrty

I took my time and M.P.H in the quater and used the Drag times app on my samsung sIII on the play store on Droid. And had the car dynoed ans was only off about 10%.
"WE ARE THE LAST OF OUR KIND"
2009.1 V6 STRYKER BLUE, TRADED IN 1/10/13
knglibrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #38
pazzo91

Hey does anyone thats dealt with vmax know the size that he would be boaring the tb to?

2009 Pontiac G8 Liquid Red 3.6L Premium Comfort and Sound Package
Solo performance Mach Shorty GT Cat-back exhaust (J-Pipes),Roto-fab CAI,BMR strut tower brace,
Painted calipers (red),EBC slotted rotors/red stuff brake pads,Roto fab Radiator cover,8,000K HID Fog/Headlights,
Roto-fab Fuse box cover, G8 GT 18" Wheels, 35% Tint, Shark Fin antenna, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tuned by Mace
pazzo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 AM   #39
Bo White

They do not bore them. They port the housing and reuse the blade. The blade is not the restriction on most DBW TBs.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #40
DavidMay

everyone thinks about HP all the time but throttle response makes the difference between a smooth riding car and a rough one and the g8 could definitely use some better throttle response im a stickler for getting instant response when i hit the throttle, i hate noticeable delay in throttle response, my g6 when i had it was really bad until i hadded a CAI and it helped a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement