SOLO Mach Shorty or Mach Shorty Balanced? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Exhaust Tech

Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Phantom

Default SOLO Mach Shorty or Mach Shorty Balanced?

Anybody have an opinion on the two? Watching videos, I don't hear much of difference between them.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
jw's02ss

Sub'd. I'm in the market for exhaust, as well. Are there any performance differences? Can you swap out the mid-muff for an x-pipe.
Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread.
2007 Acura TL Ttpe S (the wife's)
2002 Camaro SS- sold
jw's02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
dmarple80

I have the Solo mach shorty balanced. Would go unbalanced if I did it over again b/c the balanced isn't overly loud, even w/ the Kooks headers. But I love loudness so it's hard to annoy me.

Pat G tune, Rotofab, LS7 MAF, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Mach Shorty Balanced, VMAX ported TB

Tint, tinted taillights and side markers, roof and spoiler flat balck vinyl, GXP Diffuser, 19" Avant M310's

BMR rear cradle bushings, BMR F&R Swaybars, Teins & FE3's
dmarple80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
mdkip

I had the unbalanced and loved it!
Old 02-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
tchr49
every village has one

I have the Mach Shorty with Kooks mids. Not obnoxious in normal driving, good on the expressway. Get into it, and people will know you're there.

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
Surprise Package
tchr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
crewchief97

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarple80 View Post
I have the Solo mach shorty balanced. Would go unbalanced if I did it over again b/c the balanced isn't overly loud, even w/ the Kooks headers. But I love loudness so it's hard to annoy me.
Had the unbalbanced and still wasn't loud enough for me even with Kooks mid length. Although, I am the minority on how loud the unbalanced is. Exhaust is all in the ears of the beholder. Goodluck with your choice
2009.5 White G8 GT - roto-fab intake, kooks mid length, modified solo catback exhaust, custom Pat G tune, BMR sways, 15% tint, 3200K HID's, JHP integration kit, VG shark fin, Breyton GTS-V's staggered 19x8/19x9 wrapped in Continental DWS 245/40/19 & 275/35/19
crewchief97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
Spaycace
Spaycace

I have the Mach shorty w/high flow cats and I love the way it woke up the car! My butt dyno definitely notices a difference. With the radio off, I'd almost swear that I can actually HEAR the air going through the exhaust now! And it's not a leak, already had it checked by 2 different shops. I went unbalanced because I like the sound of the exhaust on the car & think Solo makes it sound like it should have new ... IMO obviously. It's cold & snowy here today, but I'll try to make a vid with my iPhone later this week to post up here.
Spaycace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Phantom

Thanks for everyone's replies so far.

I'll probably go with the unbalanced system. I need to be louder than the Mustang and Camaro on my street lol.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
G8Silbllt

The Mach Shorty is outstanding...get lots of compliments from car folks on the sound...cant speak for the unbalanced though...however no doubt both are fantastic choices.
G8Silbllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
GXPaycheck

I guess the real question was Balanced v Unbalanced.
Best I can tell from others is that the balanced has a smoother, tamer rumble.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), Magnetic Silver, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red
VCM, Magnaflow axle-backs, WAMS IWM/VIM, Back-up camera with JHP autoswitch, Homelink by Snakey, Pedders bushings

2014 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof. One of about 2000 so far
Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The Board That Shall Not Be Named"!
GXPaycheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Roadcone
HeapBlaster

which one makes more horsepower?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
terryscott621

I have the Mach shorty unbalanced on my gxp. When I called solo to ask questions about unbalanced vs balanced they told me the sound volume is about the same between the two with the unbalanced being a little noisier of the two. The difference between the exhausts was that the balanced would help with the sound when the motor transitioned between 8 cylinders and 4 cylinders. The balanced would smooth the sound out better than the unbalanced. If you're going to tune out AFM I can't see there being much detectable sound difference between the two.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

terryscott621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Agose25

I've hear the Unbalanced system in person with Solo HFC's on a GXP. It sounds great at WOT and is subtle at idle and cruising. Not as loud as my set up, so if I am a 10 your looking at about a 6-7 with just the exhaust, HFC's +1.5.
Agose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #14
Ibringtehlzz

I have the unbalanced shorty paired up with pacesetter longtubes,and everyone tells me it's pretty loud..IMO it's not loud enough cold start is pretty fun though! On a serious note the unbalanced will give you a more choppy sound,almost as if you can hear each side of the motor...balanced will even it out
Ibringtehlzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #15
JohnnyG8

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Mach Shorty the loud system that Solo makes?

I have the Mach Shorty on my G8 (after calling Solo and saying to send me the loudest system lol) with HFC's and I love the sound! I personally don't think it is loud enough, but I also have never heard my car at WOT while not in the drivers seat, but from inside it sounds awesome!

I have had many people I know say that the exhaust is very loud though lol.
JohnnyG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
zepcom
Administrator

to add sound, replace manifolds with long tubes.

I guess most of the info here has already been raised ... but I'll add that the unbalanced verses balanced is a sound pulse pattern issue (like a cammed car verses a well-mannered car, ever so slight unique bank sound at certain RPM's) ... I far prefer unbalanced and have had that on my car the longest, and I've tried them all.

Sorry I'm late to the party but I was off the grid for a little while there. If anyone is still unsure, ask away and I'll try to give further help. Notice my signature...

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM OTR Intake, Custom ZEPCOM interior Electronics (PLXdevices AFR and DashBoss iPad datalogging) solutions
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach Unbalanced catback with take-off SLP tips.
SOLO J-pipes developed and perfected with my test mule!
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

zepcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
0G9T

Too be honest i would go big or go home. Get the Mach shorty, especially if you are not going to get the HFC's. The Drone is nothing, after reading what i did regarding the noise and then hearing it for myself i couldn't believe they even mentioned it. There really isnt any drone so on that note get the Mach Shorty as it is just a bit louder. And Remember the J pipes in the back really quiet the car down a lot inside. When i got in the car right after they were installed it still wasnt loud enough for me. I Got the Solo HFC's about 6 months later. Hope this helps
Old 02-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
jw's02ss

Judging by the pics on Solo's website:
1) The balanced has a chrossover/H-pipe.
2) The Shorty has a shorter mid-muffler.
3) Didn't see an "unbalanced" set-up, but I assume it's the one without a crossover/H-pipe.
4) Is there an X-pipe that takes the place of the mid-muff? Be it with or without headers. I hear of a lot of folks eliminating the mid-muff.
If I could come out cheaper buying an X-pipe and axle-backs, that would be nice.
2007 Acura TL Ttpe S (the wife's)
2002 Camaro SS- sold
jw's02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
Ibringtehlzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw's02ss View Post
Judging by the pics on Solo's website:
1) The balanced has a chrossover/H-pipe.
2) The Shorty has a shorter mid-muffler.
3) Didn't see an "unbalanced" set-up, but I assume it's the one without a crossover/H-pipe.
4) Is there an X-pipe that takes the place of the mid-muff? Be it with or without headers. I hear of a lot of folks eliminating the mid-muff.
If I could come out cheaper buying an X-pipe and axle-backs, that would be nice.
I'm afraid of what my car would sound like if I deleted the shorty muff. And put an X-pipe in place of it hahah
Ibringtehlzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #20
terryscott621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibringtehlzz View Post
I'm afraid of what my car would sound like if I deleted the shorty muff. And put an X-pipe in place of it hahah
When I was installing my solo catback, I started my car up with everything to the rear of the cats uninstalled. WOW!!! Car sounded AWESOME!!! :-)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

terryscott621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement