Independent VCM OTR Testing - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Intake/Fuel Tech

Intake/Fuel Tech CAI, TBI, Porting, Forced Induction, Nitrous Oxide...

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #21
zepcom
Administrator

Well, this thread is discussing the VCM intake, so that's probably a good bet for you with a GXP. Not to mention that it's gotten great reviews, including from myself, which I also have one on my car! BracketRacer (White Hot GXP owner) recently upgraded to his VCM intake on his GXP and has had excellent results.

It's expensive, but imho it's worth it if you have the coin.

--zepcom
zepcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #22
bracketracer
Approved Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJKmotion View Post
so what would be the best intake for a gxp? the varram, jhp VCM OTR cold air intake, or the jhp VE GMM RAMJET CAI??? car came with a roto fab but would like to put a better one on in the future.
I have to say that I am thrilled that I added the VCM OTR CAI to my GXP. I got the chance to test it real world before and after, and the intake (even without a corresponding tune) resulted in a 2 tenths improvement in my ETs. Once I tuned for it and added an HSRK, I was even more impressed. It is well worth the money, and no other intake looks as good underhood (and factory) as the VCM (in my humble opinion ;-) )!
2009.5 G8 GXP WH 6M onyx/red no roof 12.921 @ 108.89 BONE STOCK! (then), (now) 12.365 @ 112.14 with 1.778 60' at 1751' DA, 2:59 lap time at Road America on RS-As
VCM OTR CAI, HSRK, custom street/dyno tune by oldskoolgp, Monster LT1S (C7 Corvette) Clutch kit, Katech C6 Hvy Dty Master & Slave Cylinders, Kooks LTHs, Solo Hi-Flo Cats & Connector Pipes, Solo Mach Balanced Catback, BMR Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Cradle & Diff Poly Bushings, DRs
1 of only 10 built in this combo (1 of 4 this combo with RS-As)& #1497 built of the 1829
bracketracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #23
Todasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketracer View Post
I have to say that I am thrilled that I added the VCM OTR CAI to my GXP. I got the chance to test it real world before and after, and the intake (even without a corresponding tune) resulted in a 2 tenths improvement in my ETs. Once I tuned for it and added an HSRK, I was even more impressed. It is well worth the money, and no other intake looks as good underhood (and factory) as the VCM (in my humble opinion ;-) )!
What did you test it against? Stock? Roto-Fab? Vararam?
Eibach, Monroe GT Sport, Lovells, BMR
Brakes: Brembos Black/White
Engine: VCM OTR, RCR TB/Intake/Heads,
223/231 .625 .622 111+0, RCR tuned
Kook's
Coan Triple-Disk 3100, 3.45 fd
1?.?? @ 1??mph 4130 lbs
Todasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #24
vcmswt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanws6 View Post
VCMSWT, what is the conversion factor from KW to HP?

Thanks for the Vid, great to see the gains considering this was only on a dyno, and could possibly be greater on the street. This intake shines! Thanks for making a great product, well worth it, I really like mine!
Sorry for the delayed response fellas.
Thanks to the response elsewhere explaining kW to HP. Typically we see (6.0-litre) around 270 rwhp. The 6.2 HSV is certainly stronger at around 295 rwhp.

Doesn't really matter I guess as all that is important is how much of a gain is achieved.

Traditionally, noting that every car is different, some are auto, some are manual, some are dogs and some are legends, you can expect with (as an example) a manual 6.0-litre with quality OTR, 1 7/8" headers, twin 3" system and custom tune to drive away with between 330 and 355 rwhp. The 6.2 can be anywhere from 350 to 375 rwhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
Very cool video, thanks for sharing! Looks to have been an unbiased review of several intakes, however, it was interesting to me to find that they don't seem to have any "stock airbox location" style CAI's over in AUS (or at least not in this review?) ... as the Rotofab intake is one of the more popular ones in the states, but perhaps the reviewer wanted to keep his comparisons direct, and for that I don't blame him.

I love my VCM intake, have had it on the car for over 2 years now, hard to believe!
I know there has been a response to this, suffice to say we developed a very successful side CAI for the VE (G8), however once we developed an OTR that worked with the Maf, people realised the gains and sales of the CAI simply stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfoot View Post
I believe they are running 98 octane gas which would help their numbers. Cheers.
Happy to be proven wrong, however I am under the impression that 98 octane in Australia is the equivalent of 93 octane in the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketracer View Post
Great to hear bracketracer! There's nothing better than 400 metres (1320 feet) of black stuff to prove a product's performance. Dyno's are one thing, the real world is another.
vcmswt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #25
kcg8guy

So...does the VCM fit with a Maggie?

2009 G8 GT Sport (MGM)
Volant CAI w/AMSOIL filter, HSRK, 20" Camaro Wheels, Hankook tires, Brembos, BMR sways, Konis w/H&R springs, partially debadged, clear side markers, 6K HIDs from TRS, Kooks 1-7/8 LTH and catted mid-pipes, Magnaflow axlebacks, custom dyno tune
kcg8guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
vcmswt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg8guy View Post
So...does the VCM fit with a Maggie?
Sure does.

If you already have a VCM OTR on your G8 and fit, for example a Maggie 2300, all you require is one of our Adaptor boots (with internal cage) http://www.vcmstore.com.au/epages/sh.../VI-VE-Mag-Kit.

If a 1900, we need to be advised as such as the adaptor is ended with an extra piece.

As supplied they can be either Maf or Mafless, thanks to a Maf section moulded into it. But hey, this then requires a card style Maf along with some funky tuning. A full on custom tune is an absolute must - but of course.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #27
silentlegion

okay do they sell that to the US last time i talked to them they only delivered AUS.. But now that the new magnacharger is coming out, the low profile one, we might have a chance for the VCM, already talking to them about it and they say you can set it up with any CAI, you would just have to tell them what you have from what i read. But if they deliver to US then im going to jump for joy

Also love the VCM, when tuning it im amazed at how much air this sucker brings in. using HP tuners the curve for the AFR on stock looks like a wimp compared to the after and the power it makes after just leaves a smile on my face every day. Ow and for the one who asked witch should you chose well best answer is vcm because if you look at the construction of all three vcm looks the less constricting of all 3, it took me awhile to choose but im glad i choose right.

Mods: HID's, New Engine, New Tune, VCM OTR CAI, 1 7/8 ARH to Solo exhaust, Spoiler, Gxp rear defuser, Custom Sound System, Suspension, Brakes, and lowered.
silentlegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #28
vcmswt

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentlegion View Post
okay do they sell that to the US last time i talked to them they only delivered AUS.. But now that the new magnacharger is coming out, the low profile one, we might have a chance for the VCM, already talking to them about it and they say you can set it up with any CAI, you would just have to tell them what you have from what i read. But if they deliver to US then im going to jump for joy

Also love the VCM, when tuning it im amazed at how much air this sucker brings in. using HP tuners the curve for the AFR on stock looks like a wimp compared to the after and the power it makes after just leaves a smile on my face every day. Ow and for the one who asked witch should you chose well best answer is vcm because if you look at the construction of all three vcm looks the less constricting of all 3, it took me awhile to choose but im glad i choose right.
For the record, we are in the process of establishing a local VCM outlet, the intent being to assist with technical advice, assist with replacement parts and warranties. News on this will come out shortly.

Regarding the Magnuson Intake boots, these will also be made available locally in the USA.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #29
Tulsa GT

I just ordered from your website. Infill panels, and Magnuson supercharger adapter.

I did not specify in the order maf or mafless. Will what I receive work either way?

In
V1/blendmount Weathertech Holden console autodim VIM gb light GPS trim Nuvi 765t Red Shifter & Wheel Polk db651 Kicker 8" polk amps backup cam BT Homelink Dashhawk

Out
HSV GTS 20" Rebadged GXP Diffuser 35w 5000k HID Sharkfin

Go
Chrome Maggie 2300 Livernois Tune Rotofab Kooks 1 7/8" LT Corsa BP Catch Can Amsoil
Monroe/King Struts/Springs Brembos all around SS lines BMR SFC's & sways, Spohn rear arms, Pedders Bushings
Tulsa GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #30
Monaro@JHP
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa GT View Post
I just ordered from your website. Infill panels, and Magnuson supercharger adapter.

I did not specify in the order maf or mafless. Will what I receive work either way?
need new (cartridge) MAF sensor such as Camaro
I can only answer technical questions (on my own time).

Monaro@JHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #31
Tulsa GT

Default Independent VCM OTR Testing

Thanks Denis.

Think I remember reading that in another thread now.

So, is there a link to the maf card that is needed?

Or is there anything else involved?

New tune I'm guessing? Was looking at the hp tuners yesterday. Maybe now is the time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

In
V1/blendmount Weathertech Holden console autodim VIM gb light GPS trim Nuvi 765t Red Shifter & Wheel Polk db651 Kicker 8" polk amps backup cam BT Homelink Dashhawk

Out
HSV GTS 20" Rebadged GXP Diffuser 35w 5000k HID Sharkfin

Go
Chrome Maggie 2300 Livernois Tune Rotofab Kooks 1 7/8" LT Corsa BP Catch Can Amsoil
Monroe/King Struts/Springs Brembos all around SS lines BMR SFC's & sways, Spohn rear arms, Pedders Bushings
Tulsa GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #32
Monaro@JHP
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa GT View Post
Thanks Denis.

Think I remember reading that in another thread now.

So, is there a link to the maf card that is needed?

Or is there anything else involved?

New tune I'm guessing? Was looking at the hp tuners yesterday. Maybe now is the time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Tune for sure
and check Amazon for ACDelco 213-4332 I think it's the one you will need
I can only answer technical questions (on my own time).

Monaro@JHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #33
AuggieDosta
IdontRe Member

To the OP, I'm glad you posted this in its own thread. I also posted it (http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...t=65872&page=3) but it has been largely ignored.

Here are the numbers for those that don't want to watch the vid:
I pulled the differences from the video and posted below (they'll NOT come out arranged right so sorry)
*****PWR no tune***** w/Tune***** No MAF
Stock***** 284kw*******N/A*********N/A
K&N filter***288(+4)****** 306(+22)****N/A
X-Air OTR** 304(+20)***** 320(+36)***No Gain
VCM OTR** 306(+22)***** 325(+41)****N/A
EAPC OTR**N/A**********N/A********318(+34)
Eastern Automotive Performance Centre (EAPC) is a MAF-less only OTR and requires a fuse box support bar to be removed.

The test only ck'd 2 CAIs w/out a MAF and both are reflected above.

In the end, the video's sponsor chose the VCM over all the others.
------------------------------------------------------------------

If more people are ready to order this CAI then I'd like to ask vcmswt or Monaro@JHP if they'd be willing to do another "Group Buy" at a reduced price?

I'm ready to do this!!
#1,693 of 1,829 and #29 of 35 as optioned (1 of 56 SBM's)

'01 Chevy Silverado LT (4x4) 6" IFS lift, 35" tires

Last edited by AuggieDosta; 02-05-2013 at 03:23 PM.
AuggieDosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #34
fullcircle

I would be interested in one. vcm otr group buy???
fullcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #35
GMpowered

I'm interested in a vcm otr as well. Hope this group buy happens
GMpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #36
Periodic
understeer

In for group buy. Looking to place order next week or the following (mid-early march).
Periodic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #37
bracketracer
Approved Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todasi View Post
What did you test it against? Stock? Roto-Fab? Vararam?
I tested it against the stock intake with filter removed at the track.
2009.5 G8 GXP WH 6M onyx/red no roof 12.921 @ 108.89 BONE STOCK! (then), (now) 12.365 @ 112.14 with 1.778 60' at 1751' DA, 2:59 lap time at Road America on RS-As
VCM OTR CAI, HSRK, custom street/dyno tune by oldskoolgp, Monster LT1S (C7 Corvette) Clutch kit, Katech C6 Hvy Dty Master & Slave Cylinders, Kooks LTHs, Solo Hi-Flo Cats & Connector Pipes, Solo Mach Balanced Catback, BMR Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Cradle & Diff Poly Bushings, DRs
1 of only 10 built in this combo (1 of 4 this combo with RS-As)& #1497 built of the 1829
bracketracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #38
GXPaycheck

If a GB happens, I'm in!

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), Magnetic Silver, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red
VCM, Magnaflow axle-backs, WAMS IWM/VIM, Back-up camera with JHP autoswitch, Homelink by Snakey, Pedders bushings

2014 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof. One of 144
Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The Board That Shall Not Be Named"!
GXPaycheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #39
HSV GTS
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPaycheck View Post
If a GB happens, I'm in!
JHP Vehicle Enhancements are one of the biggest sellers of the VCM performance OTR product, for this reason we always keep stock and dispatch express air to the USA (3-10 days depending on location). $597 USA & Canada delivered... http://www.jhpss.com/Pontiac-G8/ColdAirIntake.htm
JHP are going to help with a forum special that will be for 10 units only with the matching VCM top radiator panels and the VCM air box in-fill panel for only a $100 extra delivered (normally an extra $156 USD) THATs a $56 saving for USA & Canadian G8 forum owners. These extra panels with the VCM OTR complete the conversion from stock air box to a factory style performance air intake that cannot be matched for looks & power gain.
If you would like to place an order.... 10 only so get in quick:
http://www.jhp.com.au/order-form-main.php

HSV GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #40
GMpowered

What do we need to reference in the order form in order to receive the discount? I simply mentioned this "forum special" in the item description section. Hope that's good enough.
Thank you for responding to the board members interest.

Last edited by GMpowered; 02-26-2013 at 06:55 PM.
GMpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement