Cincinnati or Dayton area folks with headers + Solo muffs - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Exhaust Tech

Exhaust Tech Headers, Catbacks, Mufflers, lack of mufflers

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 11-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
foreosu
Go fast grocery getter

Default Cincinnati or Dayton area folks with headers + Solo muffs

I'm seriously considering putting some Solo axle backs onto my car that currently has no-cat Pace Setter LTs. I want some more sound out of the car, but don't want it to be wake the dead type loud. So I'm trying to hear a similar setup in person.

Anyone out there?

Thoughts on how loud the proposed setup would be?

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT
RotoFab CAI, Pace Setter long tube headers,
X-Pipe, Hooker Maxflow Axlebacks waiting to be installed, Cincy Speed dyno tune.

355 rwhp/370 lbs ft tq.

30% Tint, V8 6.0 Litre badges, Pontiac lettering debadge on the trunk
foreosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Geryder23

I am in the Cincinnati/NKY area but i do not have that set up you are looking for but would like to see ur setup in person because i am looking at the pacesetters myself. I have the Solo Mach exhaust.

Roto Fab Intake
Solo Mach Exhaust
Painted White Hot GXP Diffuser
5000k TRS Morimoto HIDs
LED Fog Lights
Lexani LSS-8 (245-35s up front, 275-30s in the rear)
Geryder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
foreosu
Go fast grocery getter

So far, so good with my Pace Setters. At idle, the car isn't much louder than stock. Even cruising around town and cruising on the highway, not any louder. When you put the hammer down, it screams pretty good. Love the engine sound it provides, but I want the same out of the exhaust note, if that makes sense.

I got them coated, so we'll see how they hold up this winter, as the G8 is my daily driver. From what I've read, as long as they are coated, they seem to wear pretty well.

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT
X-Pipe, Hooker Maxflow Axlebacks waiting to be installed, Cincy Speed dyno tune.

355 rwhp/370 lbs ft tq.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
OrngG8

Solo axlebacks with headers will be very loud. They are just straight pipe with Js on them to reduce drone so you will have no mufflers at all. I had them with stock cats and a mid muffler delete and they sounded good but as soon as I switched to HF cats they got very loud. I think G8GTV8 on here has a video clip of his car with LTs and my old Solo axle-backs. It was very loud. He lives in Cincinnati.

Eibach springs+FE3 suspension, BMR tunnel brace, Subframe connectors, and trailing arms, Asetto Garra 18s, BFG Sport Comp2s

TSS Concept darts
OrngG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Oneg808

you want to hear them?? just put straight pipes on the car!!! Thats what i got going on and when I get the long tubes put on ill let you hear it! you might be able to hear it from where your at!
2008 G8 GT, Vararam, H&R's, Straight Pipes, Pace Setter Long Tube Headers, Pat G tune, Pat G custom cam, DOD delete from pace performance, TSW Valencia Wheels; 20X10 Rear, 20X8.5 Front, Brembo brakes with drilled and slotted rotors, 5% tint "So you can't see up in my windows!", debagged, Smoked out, GXP diffuser, GXP front facia, HID Kit 12K, HPJUNKIE HID fogs, and more to come!
Oneg808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Geryder23

foreosu,
How is the smell without cats? That is my main concern, but i also dont wanna buy hfc and fork out all that money for them to eventually go bad.

If you are ever in the area i would love to meet up and here that beast. I myself will be going with the cincy speed dyno tune when i get headers

Roto Fab Intake
Solo Mach Exhaust
5000k TRS Morimoto HIDs
LED Fog Lights
Old 11-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
foreosu
Go fast grocery getter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geryder23 View Post
foreosu,
How is the smell without cats? That is my main concern, but i also dont wanna buy hfc and fork out all that money for them to eventually go bad.

If you are ever in the area i would love to meet up and here that beast. I myself will be going with the cincy speed dyno tune when i get headers

The guys at Cincy Speed did a great job and were really easy to work with. I would certainly recommend them.

As for the smell, it is definitely something to consider. It is noticeable, but not to the point where I regret it. I've never ridden in another car behind the G8 so i can't speak to that. But sitting at stop lights or letting the car run in the garage for a minute before leaving, you will notice it. But again, it's not so bad that I regret it. I've taken countless people on rides to lunch or whatever from work an have never had anyone comment on it.

I work in the Monroe area, but am down in N KY every now and then visiting the Home Depot stores in the area (I work for them). Will shoot you a private message if I know I will be down your way any time soon.

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT

355 rwhp/370 lbs ft tq.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
foreosu
Go fast grocery getter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneg808 View Post
you want to hear them?? just put straight pipes on the car!!! Thats what i got going on and when I get the long tubes put on ill let you hear it! you might be able to hear it from where your at!
LOL nice. I hate to admit it but I may actully try out the washer mod and see if that makes a difference.

I might take 30 mins tonight and take my mufflers off just for fun. From the cats back my exhaust is stock. Should be fun for the neighbors regardless, lol.

2008 Liquid Red G8 GT

355 rwhp/370 lbs ft tq.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Troy Trackbeast
Super Moderator

Im not in your area but ive been down this path before. 1st off do you have stock mid muff and resonators in place?

I initially bought the solos then deleted the mid muff and resonators and replaced with an xpipe. Sounded great! But then I added my pacesetters (catless) and it was crazy loud. Here are two of my old videos with that set up.

I then decided to remove the xpipe and install a magnaflow truX muffler (xpipe encased by muffler). That did the trick, nice tone not too loud cruising but it would get rowdy at WOT. Here are videos after the magnaflow mid muffler install.

Hope this helps and good luck! All videos above were before recent mods (cam, heads, etc)
Troy Trackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Geryder23

foreosu,
thanks for the everyday experience on the smell. Yes, im glad u told me ur experience you have had when others ride in the car, i wanted to know feedback on that as well.

If your around just let me know...

Roto Fab Intake
Solo Mach Exhaust
5000k TRS Morimoto HIDs
LED Fog Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement