Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #981
romeyjdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8Silbllt View Post
Just a thought....Could the boat ride over or shipping manner caused premature wear or play in the racks to many of our cars? It's a common thread to all of our cars with the issue of course....
Well, we do know a lot of them show up with collapsed strut mounts...so anything is possible I suppose.

35W HID, LED fogs, custom front/rear Pontiac symbol badges, sharkfin, BlueStar Bluetooth, GXP front end, GXP diffuser, x-pipe, straight through mufflers with helmholtz chambers, RotoFab intake , Eibach springs, FE3 shocks/struts, BMR rear subframe inserts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #982
TheStevo

Maybe the swaying side to side putting force on the rack since they are tied down?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #983
BTWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8Silbllt View Post
Just a thought....Could the boat ride over or shipping manner caused premature wear or play in the racks to many of our cars? It's a common thread to all of our cars with the issue of course....

That's a great thought, I know that back in the early 80's GM had a problem with a specific car line that was being damaged on long train rides because of the way they were chaining them down.
Vararam CAI,Kooks 1 7/8" headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Cat delete,electric dumps, Pat G. tune, 4D's 20" AO6 wheels, custom L.E.D. interior/exterior light package,Polk audio subs with Kicker door speakers,3,000 watt amps. Full HID light set up, 8" SS stripe set,
Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #984
c1054

I have another follow-up regarding my car (see post #969 for my previous update). The dealer called and said the vibration was cured by replacing the engine mounts. According to the trouble-shooting procedure in TSB 10-03-09-001, the mounts become suspect after tires, wheels, and brakes have been ruled out. The only problem I have with this fix is that I thought mounts are a solution to excessive vibration caused by the AFM, which was not my issue. My car also vibrated with the AFM disengaged via manual transmission mode.

I am going to get the car now and go for a ride with the tech. I really hope this works.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #985
romeyjdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1054 View Post
I have another follow-up regarding my car (see post #969 for my previous update). The dealer called and said the vibration was cured by replacing the engine mounts. According to the trouble-shooting procedure in TSB 10-03-09-001, the mounts become suspect after tires, wheels, and brakes have been ruled out. The only problem I have with this fix is that I thought mounts are a solution to excessive vibration caused by the AFM, which was not my issue. My car also vibrated with the AFM disengaged via manual transmission mode.

I am going to get the car now and go for a ride with the tech. I really hope this works.
How'd this go?

35W HID, LED fogs, custom front/rear Pontiac symbol badges, sharkfin, BlueStar Bluetooth, GXP front end, GXP diffuser, x-pipe, straight through mufflers with helmholtz chambers, RotoFab intake , Eibach springs, FE3 shocks/struts, BMR rear subframe inserts
Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #986
SMSO966
Supercharged Moderator

Fixed my steering wheel shake today!!!

DD: 08 White Hot G8 GT Best E.T. 12.698 @ 109.1 MPH
VMR 20's 4 Wheel 04 CTS-V Brembo's
FE3 & Eibach,
Roto Fab,Doug Thorley LTs Magnaflow
1 of 1,086 2008 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT's

Garage Queen:
09 Stryker Blue G8 GT (No ET Under construction)
TVS1900, GXP 19's, 4 Wheel 09 CTS-V Brembo's
Rotofab, Solo, More to come soon!
Sold!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #987
romeyjdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by smso966 View Post
fixed my steering wheel shake today!!!
ಠ_ಠ

Old 11-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #988
SpeedRacerX
Just Click Submit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSO966 View Post
Fixed my steering wheel shake today!!!
Got rid of the car???
2009 GT, Kooks 1-7/8 Mids, RPM Tune, Borla, Vararam, HSRK, P&P TB, UPR CCan, Mobil 1, Speedhut Gauges, FE3, Whiteline, Pedders, Summer MRR on 255/295, Winter Beyern on 245, CTS-V Fr Brembos, SS Rotors, Akebono Pads, Rolled/Pulled Fndrs, BMR Sways, Spohn Links & Arms, Sprt Pedals, Pont Shifter, Camaro Trans Pan, Pont Mats, Glove Box Light, MSM Lower Grills, CF Tail, GXP Diff, VG Fin, 20% Tint, 6000K HIDs, LED Fogs, GrafxWerks, Black Trim/Mirrors/Grills, Diffusr Lens/Amber Lens/Lowr Tails Tint
Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #989
SMSO966
Supercharged Moderator

I changed my lower control arms and radius rods (replacing the new stock bushings with Super Pro radius rod bushings from BMR) and re-aligned the front.

Took a total of two hours.

DD: 08 White Hot G8 GT Best E.T. 12.698 @ 109.1 MPH
VMR 20's 4 Wheel 04 CTS-V Brembo's
FE3 & Eibach,
Roto Fab,Doug Thorley LTs Magnaflow
1 of 1,086 2008 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT's

Garage Queen:
09 Stryker Blue G8 GT (No ET Under construction)
TVS1900, GXP 19's, 4 Wheel 09 CTS-V Brembo's
Rotofab, Solo, More to come soon!
Sold!

Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #990
c1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeyjdogg View Post
How'd this go?
I picked up the car yesterday (see post #985). The vibration seems to be gone (or at least masked) by the new engine mounts. I maintain that there is a deeper issue with the vehicle that is likely not 100% solveable, but it is hard to continue raising hell based solely on my intuition. The casual rider in my car would not notice anything, but I, like most G8 owners, am not a casual rider. I love driving and the feeling of being immersed in the vehicle.

The mounts will do fine, at least for now. Given what has happened, I am obsessing about every little noise and shake; if you look for trouble, you often find it. The big test will be when I do my next tire rotation. Rotations seem to upset the machine's delicate balance.

I have to give a credit to the Coleman GMC service department for their patience and willingness to get things right.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #991
BMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1054 View Post
I picked up the car yesterday (see post #985). The vibration seems to be gone (or at least masked) by the new engine mounts. I maintain that there is a deeper issue with the vehicle that is likely not 100% solveable, but it is hard to continue raising hell based solely on my intuition. The casual rider in my car would not notice anything, but I, like most G8 owners, am not a casual rider. I love driving and the feeling of being immersed in the vehicle.

The mounts will do fine, at least for now. Given what has happened, I am obsessing about every little noise and shake; if you look for trouble, you often find it. The big test will be when I do my next tire rotation. Rotations seem to upset the machine's delicate balance.

I have to give a credit to the Coleman GMC service department for their patience and willingness to get things right.
That's great news. The improved engine mounts are designed to do just that...mask normal engine vibrations so they don't transmit though the frame/steering rack/etc causing unwanted vibrations and other harmonic pulsations. As an FYI, my car still has the original transmission mount(s). It is my understanding that GM also came out with an improved trans mount to better dampen/isolate both normal vibrations emanating from the trans/engine at that subframe connecting point + dampen/isolate a mildly unbalanced driveshaft. I still get the minor pulsating vibrating that comes in and out at highway speeds - if I really wanted to go through the hassle and potential cost of upgrading the trans mount, I guess I'd do that too but my biggest issue was the steering wheel vibration and like I said before, the revised new engine mounts did the trick for me as well. At my next oil change, I'll ask the SA how much it would cost to replace the trans mount. If it's not terribly expensive, I may do it.

New ride: 2011 BMW 335i XDrive MSport
Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #992
GMCustomerService

@TheStevo, I’m sorry to read about your vehicle concerns. I’m curious if you have any further updates to share; were you able to get the vehicle into the dealership and things of that nature.

Michelle, GM Customer Service
Old 11-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #993
GMCustomerService

@c1054, would you like me to forward a compliment to the dealership on your behalf?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #994
EMS Guy

Just put on another set of tires for the winter. No shakes. Appears the deal was entirely balance and related.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #995
EMS Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCustomerService View Post
@c1054, would you like me to forward a compliment to the dealership on your behalf?

Glad to see GM with a voice on here about issues.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #996
GMCustomerService

Thank you, EMS Guy! I’m happy to be on the forums with all of you. Please, don’t hesitate to contact me with comments, questions and concerns or to just say hello.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #997
SpeedRacerX
Just Click Submit

Sorry to revive this notorious old thread.

New tires and a road force balancing has eliminated 90% of the steering wheel shake I had at 60-70 mph.

After 4 years, two sets of wheels and tires, the full dealer TSB for this, etc; I finally have some resolution.
2009 GT, Kooks 1-7/8 Mids, RPM Tune, Borla, Vararam, HSRK, P&P TB, UPR CCan, Mobil 1, Speedhut Gauges, FE3, Whiteline, Pedders, Summer MRR on 255/295, Winter Beyern on 245, CTS-V Fr Brembos, SS Rotors, Akebono Pads, Rolled/Pulled Fndrs, BMR Sways, Spohn Links & Arms, Sprt Pedals, Pont Shifter, Camaro Trans Pan, Pont Mats, Glove Box Light, MSM Lower Grills, CF Tail, GXP Diff, VG Fin, 20% Tint, 6000K HIDs, LED Fogs, GrafxWerks, Black Trim/Mirrors/Grills, Diffusr Lens/Amber Lens/Lowr Tails Tint
Old 04-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #998
johnson05711
GR8WHIT

Okay so I just got my '08 White Hot G8 GT yesterday and today I noticed that the front end shakes when turning left and right and when I brake it shakes pretty good then too. I'm sure the braking issue is from the rotors but what would cause the shake only when turning?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #999
Back in a Pontiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacerX View Post
Sorry to revive this notorious old thread.

New tires and a road force balancing has eliminated 90% of the steering wheel shake I had at 60-70 mph.

After 4 years, two sets of wheels and tires, the full dealer TSB for this, etc; I finally have some resolution.
For now, lol
Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #1000
SpeedRacerX
Just Click Submit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in a Pontiac View Post
For now, lol
I hear ya. LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread