Rip in onyx/red leather seat! - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Appearance / Detailing

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Ewing

Angry Rip in onyx/red leather seat!

I sometimes take my laptop with me inside of a laptop bag and I usually just throw it on my passenger seat...After four years of doing that I last week picked up my bag to see the horror below:

I figure some part of the bag got caught in a perforation and just ripped it open.....I searched high and low for another onyx/red seat used. I found only a few but....The seats were always really beat up and already scratched or if they were in good condition, were sold only as a full set with driver side and rears...The all black leather seats were a dime a dozen and all over the place but I could not score a good onyx/red one. I finally bit the bullet and spent my Katech coil relocation and custom valve cover kit money on a new OEM seat back cover. I got one for $560. This is only for the seatback cover. No hardware, no bottom, just the seatback cover...I thought I might as well take advantage of dealing with an upholstery shop and finally had the horrible rubber coated center armrest covered in leather. I wanted to take the red/onyx leather from my damaged seat cover but the darn rip being where it was would not yield enough material to cover the amount I needed on the armrest. The shop had some new red Corvette leather hide though that was a color match. The only difference is in the perforation pattern. The G8 pattern is a lot tighter than the Corvette's which is more spaced out but if you just look at it without me pointing it out it would be very hard to notice. The black leather part of the old seat cover was used on the edges. I must say that it really makes a big difference. it really seems to tie both front seats together and just perfectly matches the onyx/red theme of the interior. It also feels much better to the touch than the OEM rubber vinyl deal.

404ci Forged & Stroked|Livernois Stage 1 Cam|Roto-Fab|Kooks LT's & X-Pipe|Ported TB & Intake|Pedderized with BMR sprinkles|JHP Nav Kit|Much ICE|Ceramic Tints|3rd Shift & Holden Emblems|Gloss Black Camaro Brembos|Bluetooth and XM retrofit|5000K HID's|Roof Spoiler|TCS 3200RPM Stall|Earl's tranny,oil & ps coolers|12.3@109MPH|440HP|410TQ|
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
pony killer

There was a guy who used to do repairs . Don't know but would think there are others out there that do it . That sucks though, good luck .
pony killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Ewing

Repairs on perforated leather never comes out right. If it was the black part maybe, not the red...if you read the post though you'll know I'm all good now, except for the $ I had to lay out.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

404ci Forged & Stroked|Livernois Stage 1 Cam|Roto-Fab|Kooks LT's & X-Pipe|Ported TB & Intake|Pedderized with BMR sprinkles|JHP Nav Kit|Much ICE|Ceramic Tints|3rd Shift & Holden Emblems|Gloss Black Camaro Brembos|Bluetooth and XM retrofit|5000K HID's|Roof Spoiler|TCS 3200RPM Stall|Earl's tranny,oil & ps coolers|12.3@109MPH|440HP|410TQ|
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Blitz

Awesome idea. Looks like you "made lemonade" in the end.
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Calderah

The armrest looks fantastic.
Calderah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
amfarthing

Agreed +1 on the armrest.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
T-townGT
Crimson Cruiser

+2 on arm rest. Your right, it does tie it all together!

SRM 2009 G8 GT/Premium/Sunroof/25% tint/Partial Debadge/HPtuned by Parkman/Spectre CAI
www.okg8club.com
T-townGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Pakitullanc

+3

Sent from my Inspire using Autoguide.com

09 GT LR.....(SOLD)
Pakitullanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement