Header throwing a CEL question. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > PCM Tuning / Dyno Results

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 11-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
jackalope

Default Header throwing a CEL question.

Just got a set of Kooks long tubes and I do plan to have the car tuned however untill I'm able to find a good tuner I wanted to know if the spark plug anti fowler trick would stop a CEL from being thrown? The only cats the car will have will be the 2 little pup cats to help with the raw gas smell (I hope).
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
jackalope

Come on guys a little help? I talked the wife into how great a deal getting HP tuners is so I'm getting it for Christmas but I'd like to put my headers on before it gets much colder out and I don't want a CEL does anyone know if this will work?

Crap I may just have to do it and see since no one seems to know.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
Crazy_8

I just drove with the cel for a couple of weeks. Sorry I don't know if the o2 sensor trick works.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
jackalope

Well I guess I'l find out here in a day or two! LOL!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
zepcom
Administrator

the rear o2 sensors need to be "turned off" as now they're too far down the exhaust stream to be in the expected range that your factory tune is expecting them to be at. That will come from your custom tune, once you figure all that out.

Do NOT use superchips with headers, can run dangerously lean. If you do set the code running stock tune with headers, once you get your tune then that will take care of itself.

I have been very happy with livernois, and I can reload or switch between tunes anytime I want to. Livernois TCM tune is spot-on, and imho several generations better than the superchips tcm tune from back in the day before I had headers or hfc's.

Good luck jackalope. I bet I know where they came from...

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM OTR Intake, Custom ZEPCOM interior Electronics (PLXdevices AFR and DashBoss iPad datalogging) solutions
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach Unbalanced catback with take-off SLP tips.
SOLO J-pipes developed and perfected with my test mule!
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

zepcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Bob the Noob

As far as I know, it won't hurt anything with that sort of CEL. I had to detune for service once and found it wasn't an issue. Didnt' even come on the couple days prior to going in.

Go: Roto Fab CAI, Livernois Tune, Kook's Mid Length 1 7/8", Corsa Mid-section, Solo Axle Backs, Chrome TVS2300, 8PSI Pulley, 60# injectors, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, and other related goodies, BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars, BMR Drive Shaft Loop, Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tires

Stop: CTS-V 4 piston, Camaro rotors, Hawks HPS Pads

Show: GXP diffuser, Breyton GTF2 wheels

483.8 - RWHP
465.5 - RWTQ
11.85sec/116.68mph
Bob the Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
bluegoat06
HPT Pro Tuner

Do it and see what happens, some cars won't throw the code, some other will, the relation of those who will, by far exceeds those who won't.
Don't give her hell though, drive normal, you can toss her around a little, just don't go crazy with it. Keep an eye on the codes, the light means there is a code, rear cat switching codes are one thing, bank too lean codes doesn't get fixed with anti foulers if you get them, so get her tuned as soon as you can.

2009 G8GT
Comp 223/230 .610/.608 112+0 | PRC .650" Dual Springs | Comp Trunion Upgrade | IWIS Pro Timing Chain
Rotofab CAI | LS7 MAF |102 mm MAF Housing |Blox VS
1 3/4 Pacesetter LT's | 2.5" Header Back Custom Exhaust | Magnaflow 94106 Cats | Magnaflow 10791 X | Magnaflow 12226 Mufflers
Yank SS 3200 stall | Deep Sump 6L80e Pan Kit | B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
HPTuners Pro v2.24 | Street Tuned
7.80@91.05mph 1.79 60' Irwindale Dragstrip

bluegoat06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
zepcom
Administrator

Awesome advise, bluegoat06.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM OTR Intake, Custom ZEPCOM interior Electronics (PLXdevices AFR and DashBoss iPad datalogging) solutions
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

Old 11-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
bluegoat06
HPT Pro Tuner

2009 G8GT
Comp 223/230 .610/.608 112+0 | PRC .650" Dual Springs | Comp Trunion Upgrade | IWIS Pro Timing Chain
1 3/4 Pacesetter LT's | 2.5" Header Back Custom Exhaust | Magnaflow 94106 Cats | Magnaflow 10791 X | Magnaflow 12226 Mufflers

Old 11-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
GT Drew

I was throwing code with my extenders and Solo cats. I added some stainless steel pot scrubber to second extender like the others did with the fuel filter. A chunk of this in the end and I haven't thrown a code in a week. It was almost daily without it. Wife was getting out a new one so I cut some from the old one before I threw it out. No real cost.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
jackalope

Ok put the headers on today (took me about 2.5 hours start to finish) and put just under 100 miles on it so far and no CEL yet and I haven't put the anti-fowlers on yet. I have my little Cortex tuner so if any CEL's do pop up I can see what they are. The cat codes I'm not really worried about I'll just keep a sharp eye out for any lean codes! I re-tuned the car to 87 octane but will continue to run 93 octane I figure that way it should keep any spark knock away. As for taking it easy I usually do, cruising in the right lane with the cruise control set at 60 that type of driving. Every once in a while I'll get on it but only for red light to red light type stuff.

Zep I bet you're right! LOL!

Other question for you guys. I can get the car tuned for about $300 but HP tuners is only a little more, should I just get HP tuners and do it myself?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
dandragonrage
Plastidip is awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
Other question for you guys. I can get the car tuned for about $300 but HP tuners is only a little more, should I just get HP tuners and do it myself?
HP Tuners with a tuning license is going to be a good bit more than $300, though still under a grand. You can get it (or EFI Live) and learn it, but it will take a lot more time and effort as well as come with more risk, especially if you've never tuned cars before. On the upside, if you do learn to tune it, you won't need to keep paying to retune the car if you keep modding it. But on the downside again, even if you "learn to tune" with it, how good a job would someone of your experience level (no offense - I am not a tuner either, so this would apply to me as well) be able to tune the car compared to Patrick G?

Car audio sale - now | Wheels & parts sale - soon
dandragonrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
jackalope

No offence taken thats why I asked. I looked up HP tuners and I thought I could get it for just under $500 so thats not hateful at all.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #14
bluegoat06
HPT Pro Tuner

Dude, there is no "downside" to self tuning, Do you think anybody who learned how to tune was born already knowing how to tune ? Lol, be the difference to your "own" car, you're the one driving her, not xxx tuner or tuner shop. Some people prefer to get a custom tune with whatever professional tuner package of your choice whether it is HPT or EFlive, then they customize it little by little, some others would start from scratch, even after having their own cars tuned.

When i started out, i did it with a POS tune from one the big names in tuner shops in the market. After the experience with them and more than a grand "wasted", i was able to tune my car, and by far exceed my custom "Pro" dyno tune, and i didn't even keep any settings from them either, it was basically a new start, my car was cammed at the time, and had full exhaust. I didn't have any previous tuning experience whatsoever, i just read a lot, and had the will to learn and become pro efficient in tuning so nobody was never going to sell me crap ever again.

Granted, you don't pick the skills in 3 nights, there is a learning curve to it, but i don't know anybody who "didn't" learn how to do it, after actually getting themselves into it, we see more engine/trans getting blown up by some of this "Pro" tuners than when the "rookies" do it by themselves. Yes, there are bad tuners, and good tuners out there. some have the good luck to get the good ones, some others doesn't, that's just the way it is sometimes.

How do you know what good is good, sentiment ? dyno bs numbers ? there is a difference between knowing what a good tune is, and another one pretending to know based on opinions, just because the car run, or post good times in the 30-40F weather, doesn't mean it's an "awesome" tune, Do you know of any car that doesn't run faster the colder it gets outside ?

lol how do you know 2 glasses of water in front of you won't taste different if you don't try them out first ? They both look like water from the outside

Good luck.

2009 G8GT

Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #15
deezomaxima
MUSCLE Biotch!

Depending where you are in MD, you could 5 hours to see Rick Crawford in NC.

Morimoto - Mobile 1 - Harbor Freight - 3M - Spectre - Superchips Flashpaq - Elemental LED - SuperBrightLED - TCW3 Fuel Additive
deezomaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #16
Crazy_8

I agree with Bluegoat. I had my car tuned by an expert using hptuners and then bought hptuners for myself to tweak the tune, make changes, etc. I use it all the time for tweaking the TCM. I am very particular on the tranny tune and have been amazed, in a bad way, by how a couple of nationally known shops tried to tune my tranny.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #17
Silver Bullet
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
Dude, there is no "downside" to self tuning, Do you think anybody who learned how to tune was born already knowing how to tune ? Lol, be the difference to your "own" car, you're the one driving her, not xxx tuner or tuner shop. Some people prefer to get a custom tune with whatever professional tuner package of your choice whether it is HPT or EFlive, then they customize it little by little, some others would start from scratch, even after having their own cars tuned.

When i started out, i did it with a POS tune from one the big names in tuner shops in the market. After the experience with them and more than a grand "wasted", i was able to tune my car, and by far exceed my custom "Pro" dyno tune, and i didn't even keep any settings from them either, it was basically a new start, my car was cammed at the time, and had full exhaust. I didn't have any previous tuning experience whatsoever, i just read a lot, and had the will to learn and become pro efficient in tuning so nobody was never going to sell me crap ever again.

Granted, you don't pick the skills in 3 nights, there is a learning curve to it, but i don't know anybody who "didn't" learn how to do it, after actually getting themselves into it, we see more engine/trans getting blown up by some of this "Pro" tuners than when the "rookies" do it by themselves. Yes, there are bad tuners, and good tuners out there. some have the good luck to get the good ones, some others doesn't, that's just the way it is sometimes.

How do you know what good is good, sentiment ? dyno bs numbers ? there is a difference between knowing what a good tune is, and another one pretending to know based on opinions, just because the car run, or post good times in the 30-40F weather, doesn't mean it's an "awesome" tune, Do you know of any car that doesn't run faster the colder it gets outside ?

lol how do you know 2 glasses of water in front of you won't taste different if you don't try them out first ? They both look like water from the outside

Good luck.
This is good motivation to start trying to learn to do my own tuning. If there were easier ways to learn to tune like some tutorials or something I would be more eager to dive in.

Mods: 4 Pistons Brembos, OBX Headers to Maxflows, Spectre CAI, Rick C Intake, HSRK, LS7 Maf and tuned by Pat G.
In The Garage: Yank 2800 stall, Eibachs, SLP UDP
10.59 at 100.31 in the 1000.....8.33 at 88.13 in the 1/8....1.99 60 ft

Silver Bullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #18
jackalope

Bluegoat thanks man I was kinda thinking along those same lines. I figured I'd just start off with turning off rear 02 sensors and checking the fuel trims on the Cortex tune and go from there.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #19
frostopsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
No offence taken thats why I asked. I looked up HP tuners and I thought I could get it for just under $500 so thats not hateful at all.
I'd go for HP tuners. You'll never learn it if you always have someone else doing it for you. Not only is there classes to learn the tuning programs, Sky is very articulated with HP and he is relatively local to you.
frostopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
zepcom
Administrator

Time to get your wideband AFR gauge installed ... fuel trims only tell half the story.

Wideband O2 tells your AFR ratio at idle, part throttle and WOT, where it's most important to know if you're overfueling or underfueling.

And just to double check, you're JUST using the cortex to datalog your narrowband fuel trims currently, right? Have been tuned back to "factory stock" ECM via the cortex right? (not cortex 87 tune, the actual factory stock one). Don't say I didn't warn ya!

I can't believe I waited so long before getting my wideband setups (I have two of them actually, one per bank) as it truely tells how the engine is doing at a simple glance.

Do you like the change in sound as compared to the manifolds?

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement