If your transmission blew-up...what would you replace it with? - Page 3 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Drivetrain Tech

Drivetrain Tech 5L40 A5 / 6L80 A6 / TR6060 M6 / ZF Rear Diff

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #41
zepcom
Administrator

Might have been better off saving the extra $20k for the SLP bits and bought a factory stock G8 GT and kept it stock. That would have been the only way out of this "on GM's dime".

I know what you're hearing isn't what you wanted to hear, and most of us here see your situation and feel somewhat bad for you, but to be honest with you, if my "bolt ons" car with 55k miles that makes 351rwhp had a supercharger and smaller pully, I'd be almost certain that the extra strain on driveline components would have caused FASTER wear on my transmission and drivetrain components. But then and again, I don't have a supercharger, and I'm getting by with my stock stuff no problem.

It all comes down to you purchased a car that you didn't adequately understand as it pertained to warrantees. "Get it in writing" applies here. When I bought my G8 GT factory fresh, I had (and still have) the warrantee paperwork of what exactly is covered under powertrain, what might void powertrain, and how to properly file a claim. I also have headers, HFC's, SOLO catback, aftermarket intake, etc. Am I filing warrantee claims with GM? Nope. If something breaks, I will be putting my money into fortifying the part that broke and ensuring that the car is better/faster after the fix.

Sounds like you're just looking to get out of it, which is somewhat hard to swallow since it doesn't currently run.

Get a quote for how much GM estimates it would take to fix the tranny. Then compare to Circle D and other transmission speed shops. Find out if cleveland pick-a-part or similar junkyard might have a good condition lower mileage 6L80e transmission that you could buy, and research the TCM VIN matching process on the replacement transmission, ensure that it will be doable. There are many options, no, none of them "free" as it were, but at least you have options.

See what it will take to fix the tranny straight up as a baseline (so you could sell the car in working condition) to recoup your investment then buy something else.

Does not seem like your heart is in it anymore, sounds like you just want out.

I can think of maybe 2-3 people who would love to get their hands on a Firehawk "shell" and get to work installing a fortified transmission, and fixing some of the stuff that SLP didn't do so well on it (drone master!) to take it to the next level.

Are you sure you have exhausted all options with SLP directly? If you get a quote from your GM dealership to PAY THEM to fix the transmission (irregardless of warrantee situation) then could you submit that in good faith to SLP and discuss? I've seen companies worth their salt step up and offer to reimburse for half or sometimes more... but you need to press them in an objective and positive way. No way SLP built a car that would only last 44k miles... and if you can convince them that if they were to try and work with you to resolve to get your car back into working condition, then you'd be a happy customer once again, that might be a win-win for all parties involved.

This was never a GM powertrain warrantee issue, and I'm glad it seems that you finally realize that now.

Maybe SLP will stand behind their work or possibly help out if you invite them to. Can't hurt to ask.

But if you're looking to get out of the mess you're in now, good luck to you sir on selling the broken hawk.

for what it's worth, trying to help

--zepcom
zepcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #42
Monte8009G8GT

You can always buy a new trans there like 2k or so from gm with a core and thats brand new never used. I even think I saw on the other board that you could get it cheaper around 1.5k or so from greg(i think). I would just buy a new one and be on my way dont waste time for them to fix the issue just buy a new trans and be done with it. And if you think about it a new trans is better then a rebuilt one in a way.
364--forged rods/pistons stock crank.(Rick Crawford) Ported Heads,(Modified) Intake, TB. Vararam, Custom Cam, Kooks 1 3/4 LT, 2.5in custom exhaust, Yank 3000 TC, BMR SFC, H&R Springs. DDM HID's 8k-LB 3k-Fogs.

Dynoed 435whp 386wtrq with above setup 12.8@116 2.2 60ft BTTD.

Cam,Stall,LTH,CAI,Tune. Best time 12.7@110 1.9 60ft. Old Setup.

Dynoed 370whp 380wtrq
(w/LTH,CAI,Tune)Best time 13.1@105 Old Setup.

Monte8009G8GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #43
zepcom
Administrator

but pay attention to the TCM matching process, if getting this done at a dealership, should be a non-issue, but if done at another shop or "mail order bride" style, reprogramming the TCM in a foreign transmission takes specialized tools and software (GM Tech2 is one of the tools required, but not the only one). Everything on the car's bus needs to be vinmatched properly for everything to work.

But yea, that could be a good solution.... buy a tranny from greg at pace and have it shipped to your local dealership and just pay them the labor to install and vin-match, WIN.

core charge (if required) old transmission sent back to place of purchase for credit.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #44
PSMG8GT

Yea if I were you I'd keep the Firehawk if funds are willing, and throw in a transmission ready for your hp and more. You'll take a bigger loss selling her as is
GXP DIFFUSER
FULLY DEBADGED
TSW NURBURGRING 20X8.5/9.5 WITH NITTO INVO 255/35 285/30
PSMG8GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #45
Monte8009G8GT

And its no more than 500 to install it, at least at my dealer its 400 to install/remove the trans and TC. Unless you know someone there I doubt it will be that cheap though unfortunately. Say I have been through at least one and then had some valve body issues after the rebuild about 2-3 months down the road, this is why I say to buy a new one. Just a extra precaution.
364--forged rods/pistons stock crank.(Rick Crawford) Ported Heads,(Modified) Intake, TB. Vararam, Custom Cam, Kooks 1 3/4 LT, 2.5in custom exhaust, Yank 3000 TC, BMR SFC, H&R Springs. DDM HID's 8k-LB 3k-Fogs.

Dynoed 435whp 386wtrq with above setup 12.8@116 2.2 60ft BTTD.

Cam,Stall,LTH,CAI,Tune. Best time 12.7@110 1.9 60ft. Old Setup.

Dynoed 370whp 380wtrq
(w/LTH,CAI,Tune)Best time 13.1@105 Old Setup.

Monte8009G8GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #46
Crazy_8

It still shouldn't have blown at your power level. I'd be leary of reusing the SLP TCM tune.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #47
G8Firehawk17

For the record, I only added an additional 50whp...i don't think that was enough to break it either. The car has been downshifting rough into 4th for over a year now, so perhaps it was just bad luck on the tranny I had. I've never been to a dragstrip with the car so it's not abused.

I'm arranging to either rebuild or replace the tranny at a dealer and then the car goes on the market. You hit it on the head when you said my heart wasn't in it anymore, Zepcom. I'm no longer interested in maintaining something like this any further. I'm starting to see a car for what it really is...just a tool.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #48
zepcom
Administrator

Well then, I truely wish you well in the difficult (and financially draining) decision ahead of you.

Hopefully whatever you decide, you have minimal regrets and can move forward without too much of a loss.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #49
PSMG8GT

Hope everything goes as good as it can in this type of situation.
GXP DIFFUSER
FULLY DEBADGED
TSW NURBURGRING 20X8.5/9.5 WITH NITTO INVO 255/35 285/30
PSMG8GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #50
G8Firehawk17

Hey guys...not to drum this along, but I just wanted to provide an update.

Finally had the car moved from the dealership where it's been sitting to a shop and the first thing they discovered is that the drive shaft is broke and missing a section. We'll start by replacing that and see if I was spared any transmission damage.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #51
kmanuel

no one at the dealer bothered to notice the driveshaft broken?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #52
Sean O
Can I get a track day?

Well, this is a turn of events. Did anyone check out your car when you brought it to the dealership or did they just go by what you told them?
0%[=====================]100%
Parts
Project
Sean O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #53
G8Firehawk17

they wouldn't touch it when they saw the warranty block on the car. Not unless I authorized them to start pulling it apart at my expense, and I wasn't prepared to go down that road with the information I had. It may stem from my cumulative experience with various GM dealerships since I've owned this vehicle, but in general I have trust issues with them.

Maybe it would have been this simple had I let them look at it, but I elected not too. The independant shop that has it is making me feel good about my decision at present...but anything can happen.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #54
Chappy
BANGARANG!!!

Dude that Firehawk is a collector car. Fix it, enjoy it, stick it in the garage. I'm trying to make a copy, minus the wheels now. I'd love to get my hands on a actual Firehawk all day long.

Oh, and im really surprised there are people on a G8 forum that have no idea what a firehawk is...for shame!!!
Demon8Designs dash pod/Speedhut canbus gauges, SV6 Wing/Firehawk Hood/Roof Wrap by BCE Designs-Las Vegas,Tune by Sullivan GM Performance-Las Vegas
Dyno'd at Dynojet U.S.A. Headquarters
340RWHP/360RWT

Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #55
Crazy_8

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8Firehawk17 View Post
they wouldn't touch it when they saw the warranty block on the car. Not unless I authorized them to start pulling it apart at my expense, and I wasn't prepared to go down that road with the information I had. It may stem from my cumulative experience with various GM dealerships since I've owned this vehicle, but in general I have trust issues with them.

Maybe it would have been this simple had I let them look at it, but I elected not too. The independant shop that has it is making me feel good about my decision at present...but anything can happen.
GTFirehawk17, I am assuming you are at a local Dallas dealer? Would you mind sharing which one so others of us can avoid them?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #56
G8Firehawk17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_8 View Post
GTFirehawk17, I am assuming you are at a local Dallas dealer? Would you mind sharing which one so others of us can avoid them?
The car is at Sewell GMC/Buick, but in all honesty they have not done anything wrong here. I just towed the car to them because they were the closest and they discovered the warranty block. There was nothing they could do. The service manager actually did help in trying to investigate the matter with his rep, so I can't say there is any reason to avoid them from this incident.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #57
Crazy_8

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8Firehawk17 View Post
The car is at Sewell GMC/Buick, but in all honesty they have not done anything wrong here. I just towed the car to them because they were the closest and they discovered the warranty block. There was nothing they could do. The service manager actually did help in trying to investigate the matter with his rep, so I can't say there is any reason to avoid them from this incident.
Okay, thanks.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 AM   #58
BODYSHOPG8

Rpm transmissions
BODYSHOPG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #59
G8Firehawk17

Driveshaft replaced for $490 and the car seems OK. Just posted it on craigslist and then I'll try auto trader. SLP still won't respond to me concerning an explanation of their package and the GM warranty.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #60
Rillo71
There was one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpLiciTSainT View Post
This might sound dumb but I've seen it work.

Make a post on SLP's facebook page and GM's facebook page with this complaint. I've seen problems solved MUCH faster over social networking than through regular customer service loops. You basically supersede things by communicating with the Marketing/PR team (who hold certain issues higher than CS). When I worked for a product group helping with social networking, we were all over any problem, even if we didn't tell you we were. Often times, we would change how we handled a bug based on the feedback.
Nice to know. Thanks for the information....
2009 G8 GXP, SRM, M6, Onyx, Roof. (#1818 of 1829) a.k.a Gianna
Show: Tint, VG Sharkfin, 3M clear bra, 6000k HIDs, 20" TSW Interlagos.
Go: BMR, GForce, MGW, Monster Clutch, 3" SOLO, Dynotech, Squash DW255s, Tein, NLP Twin Turbo!
Stock: 363 whp/367 tq SAE (Dyno Jet) 13.149 @ 108.21 mph
Mods (old): 399 /399 SAE (Dyno Jet) 12.711 @ 108.66 1.548 60' w/MT ET Streets
Mods (new): 602/614 SAE 10 psi, 6* (Dyno Jet) 11.33 @ 125.26
Rillo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement