Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 10-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
HotRed

Default Power Window Sticking

Anyone ever see something like this?

http://youtu.be/nYQdx-Qe8j8

This is after taking it to the dealership to figure out and fix. After what they deemed as troubleshooting, they ordered and replaced the switch in the console. (BS)

When you are pulling the switch in the car to roll the window up you can hear a 'click' in the door. Which tells me that the switch in the console is working, sending some signal to the door to roll the window. When the window does finally roll up, sounds like it labors a little bit to get up which tells me the guides might be off inside the door causing the window to stick (potential problem 1). Otherwise, might be a weak motor (potential problem 2).

Probably going back to the dealership so they can get it right. Forums know a whole helluva lot more about what is going on than the GM pawns at the dealer...
HotRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
HotRed

Couple other observations:

Sometimes it will do it...sometimes it won't. First thing this morning I put the car in accessory and it sticks. Second time when I sit down to record what its doing...works fine. Third time this morning it starts 'sticking' and I get it on video.

With the auto down feature in these cars is it possible that the window 'up' capability is being 'timed out' sometimes and other times not? Is this a computer issue?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
GMCustomerService

I'm sorry to read about your experience with the dealership, HotRed. Would you mind keeping me in the loop of the outcome of your next visit to get this resolved?

Michelle, GM Customer Service
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
SBM G8 GT

Any resolution to this?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
HotRed

Car went back to the dealer after the initial visit. They took the entire thing apart (door, dash, and rocker panel...I am told). Have used the window since and it hasn't stuck. Yet.

Didn't really find / fix anything though. Just basically took it apart, dielectric greased everything, put it back together. Which is really annoying, but as long as it works that's all that matters, I suppose.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
GOPHERIT

Since there are no actual limit switches for the window up/down limits, the motors must still use the same technique as used for eons. When a window movement exceeds a preset torque value, an internal torque switch in the motor opens up to stop the action (to save the motor). So a tired motor or sticky tracks, could cause those internal torque switches to trip at any time. I'm sure they reset as fast as a blink once the overload is removed, but would require another console switch movement to try for further movement. So the lube job may have solved your problem.
But the front windows (only), has the power go from the console switches into a window controller. All the commands for up/down action comes from that controller before arriving at the window motors. That means there's a chance, *that it* could be a problem at some time.
Lastly, there is a front window calibration procedure that can be performed. It says it has to be done whenever a window regulator is replaced. But of course can be done anytime you desire. It has something to do with getting the circuit to understand where the up/down limits will happen (I think).
GOPHERIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
GMCustomerService

Thank you for taking the time to share your update, HotRed. Did you make sure they put the visit into the system just in case you start to have this concern again? I hope this is the permanent fix for this, but if you have the invoice and/or know they have it in the system it could prove to be helpful if you need it in the future.

From my family to yours, we hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
dld7sportz

my driver window is doing the same thing, i guess i will take everything apart and grease it all. wish my 3yr/36k mile wouldnt have ran out last month :/
09 Liquid Red G8 GT-Orssom Intake, HPtuners tune, custom grind cam, fti 4k stall converter, American Racing 1 7/8" headers without cats and 3" exhaust, kooks axle backs, fast 102 intake manifold, all bolted on to a forged 408 stroker. 4l80 with rmvb built by Tim Frost with a B&M ratchet shifter, DSS driveshaft and in search of a new rear diff.
dld7sportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
freezer41

They replaced my switch for this exact problem. It still happens. I took it back they could not duplicate the result even though I said they tried to fix the problem before so what they did obviously wasn't the right solution. My stealership sucks.
freezer41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
GMCustomerService

@dld7sportz, it might be worth a try to call the dealership and see if they can work something out with you since you are only a month out of warranty. It’s worth a try, any way.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
GMCustomerService

I’m sorry to read about your experience with your dealership, freezer41. I would like to look into you concerns. I’ll send you a private message with additional details I’ll need to proceed.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
dld7sportz

I went to the dealership and they will not help me out at all, im kind of upset because it seems like everything is falling apart after the three year warranty ran out. My hazard light button is pushed in and broke, drivers window keeps stickin down, and the leather on my driver door handle is coming unravelled and i keep this car very clean and do not abuse it...
09 Liquid Red G8 GT-Orssom Intake, HPtuners tune, custom grind cam, fti 4k stall converter, American Racing 1 7/8" headers without cats and 3" exhaust, kooks axle backs, fast 102 intake manifold, all bolted on to a forged 408 stroker. 4l80 with rmvb built by Tim Frost with a B&M ratchet shifter, DSS driveshaft and in search of a new rear diff.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
GMCustomerService

@dld7sportz, I’m sorry to read about what you’re going through with the vehicle and the dealership. Do you know how far out of the Bumper to Bumper warranty you are?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
dld7sportz

2-3 months now...
Old 08-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
okx442

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
Lastly, there is a front window calibration procedure that can be performed. It says it has to be done whenever a window regulator is replaced. But of course can be done anytime you desire. It has something to do with getting the circuit to understand where the up/down limits will happen (I think).

Does anyone have this calibration procedure that I can try?
Thanks
okx442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #16
GOPHERIT

^^^^^ If you think it will help, here is whats printed in the service manual. *This system is programmed after one full up and down cycle*. 1>>> Press and hold the power window switch until the window is fully DOWN and continue holding the power switch for approximately 3 seconds. 2>>> They say press and hold, but I'm sure they meant *pull and hold* the power switch until the window is fully UP and continue holding the power switch for approximately 3 seconds. The power window/regulator motor is now programmed for the express function.
It says you can do this for all of the windows. Even tough the rears are not the express type. I have no idea if it solves anything, but it sure is an easy thing to do, especially if it does.
GOPHERIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement