The Pedders SuperCar Saga - Page 3 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Suspension / Brakes

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 11-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #41
GXPaycheck

I wish my rear shocks would come in!
I might go just to get the bushings installed. Do the rest later. Hate to make two trips.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), Magnetic Silver, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red
VCM, Magnaflow axle-backs, WAMS IWM/VIM, Back-up camera with JHP autoswitch, Homelink by Snakey, Pedders bushings

2014 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof. One of about 418 so far
Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The Board That Shall Not Be Named"!
GXPaycheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #42
BigV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Alright, appointment is finally set. It's on Tuesday, November 20th. So they unfortunately won't be on in time for the Holiday Laps. Oh well!
Glad to hear you have a date set. You'll love them. I like to know how they set it up for you,and can't wait for the first post install post.
09 GXP SRM A6 w/sunroof. Mods:Livernois Maggie 2.3, 3.0" pulley, 160 stat, KB Bap. Rotofab,Corsa, Kooks 1 7/8 mids, BMR,Pedders supercar coilovers, all Brembos, CTS-V rims, Hids, halos, leather console lid. HSV gauges. 502rwhp,479tq#873 of 1829 and 1 of 169 in SRM.
BigV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #43
Eidolon
Moddin' and Roddin'

Tomorrow is the day! Woohoo! I'll have pics up once I can get home and process them.

#1468 : 1 of 67 as optioned

Stop, Go, Turn, and Show. I've changed them all on my car, and it's been a labor of love in my garage for almost all of them.

GO WOLFPACK!

Daily Driver: Focus ST
Eidolon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #44
Zodiac
In the slow lane

Wooo hoo! Can't wait to see in person.

2014 Ram 1500 QC Express
2014 Mazda6 Touring
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #45
ExpLiciTSainT
Cars are my hobby...

Nice man, I love the XAs, so I'm sure the Supercars are simply amazing.

2008 G8 GT - Procharger 14PSI D1SC, Squash Double Pumper & Fuel Rails, ID725, ZR1 Map, Port & Polished w/ 4 angle heads, Forge 9.5:1, Pacesetters 1 3/4" LTH (CAT-less), Flowmaster Super 44s, X-pipe, Brembos, 3200 FTI Triple Stall, EBC rotors & yellow pads, Motegii MR120 20x9 +38 275/30s wheels, Pedders Coilovers/Swaybars, BMR Strut bar, Pat G cam/tune!

Old: 353.8
New: 600 unlocked stall - dyno
ExpLiciTSainT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #46
Eidolon
Moddin' and Roddin'

The install is in progress now! Just after 10 AM and the installer already has both the rears mounted to the subframe and is working on connecting the arms up. He's fast!

Stop, Go, Turn, and Show. I've changed them all on my car, and it's been a labor of love in my garage for almost all of them.

GO WOLFPACK!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #47
DougHG8

Quote:
The install is in progress now! Just after 10 AM and the installer already has both the rears mounted to the subframe and is working on connecting the arms up. He's fast!
Exciting!!!
2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 frnt, Camaro 20's, OPG CAI, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle & diff bushings. GXP FE3's. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, Magnaflow axle backs, ported Maggie TVS1900, 2.8 pulley/rear OD cogset; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, forged pistons, rods, crank; Deka 60lb. injectors; Lunati cam: 217/229, .550"/.545", 113 LSA +1, push rods and springs; CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. All power work and tuning by Rick Crawford. Best ET: 10.269@136.16
DougHG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #48
TCorzett

-Todd...
Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #49
RossD
09 LR G8 GXP 6M (#1420)

Checking post #2 for pix. Nope, nothing yet.
Checking again . . .
Old 11-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #50
Zodiac
In the slow lane

Come on man, the suspense is killing me. Need pics now, and impressions!

2014 Ram 1500 QC Express
2014 Mazda6 Touring
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #51
TireDoc

I think he's too busy driving around and having fun . no time for pix LOL
1951 Catalina SD (sold)
1999 Grand Prix sedan (sold)
1966 Ventura 2dr. hardtop (rust in peace)

TireDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #52
Eidolon
Moddin' and Roddin'

Actually driving back from Petty's and collapsing exhausted into bed at home for a nap. My body refused to fall asleep early last night to be up early to get out to Greensboro this morning, so while driving home I was desperately in need of coffee. I was also too tired to really push the coilovers. I'm going to have to tweak the coilovers and do some more driving this weekend after the holiday to provide better impressions of performance driving. But... I do have initial impressions, plus many MANY photos, on the way!

GO WOLFPACK!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #53
GXPaycheck

Sounds like yer getting OLD!!

Lookin forward to hearing about the install!

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), Magnetic Silver, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red
VCM, Magnaflow axle-backs, WAMS IWM/VIM, Back-up camera with JHP autoswitch, Homelink by Snakey, Pedders bushings

2014 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof. One of about 418 so far
Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The Board That Shall Not Be Named"!
GXPaycheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #54
BigV8

We are standing by. Glad to hear you finally have them on.
09 GXP SRM A6 w/sunroof. Mods:Livernois Maggie 2.3, 3.0" pulley, 160 stat, KB Bap. Rotofab,Corsa, Kooks 1 7/8 mids, BMR,Pedders supercar coilovers, all Brembos, CTS-V rims, Hids, halos, leather console lid. HSV gauges. 502rwhp,479tq#873 of 1829 and 1 of 169 in SRM.
BigV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #55
Eidolon
Moddin' and Roddin'

Alrighty. I've got over a hundred pictures to post of the trip to Petty's, and they're processed and ready for posting. I'll post those in a separate thread entirely, then link to it from here. Since this forum only allows 10 pics per post, it'll take a lot of posts to get them all in.

But I CAN post initial impressions!

On exiting Petty's, I was surprised at how compliant these shocks are. I expected every bump to be a punch in the kidneys, but it was not so. When Pedders says they're smooth and controlled, they're being honest. There's a bit more NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) from the road, which surprised me, and you still feel harder bumps. But, then, I felt those in the stock setup. Everything else is soaked up. For reference, I rolled out of Petty's with all adjusters, both bump and rebound, set to 15/30.

I cut the corner onto the highway on-ramp hard as I headed home, and the car stuck and stuck HARD. That brief flash of planted cornering was impressive, to say the least.

The additional spring rate also meant that hitting the throttle caused the car to spend less time squatting and more time going, which is a good thing. It improves the immediacy of the power getting to the ground.

On the way way home, they provided a smooth ride, but with one caveat: large bumps in the highway were soaked up quickly and the suspension quickly returned to its steady state, but smaller bumps would hit the front and then rear and set the car to rocking backing and forth for just a few seconds. The best word I can find to describe it is "seesawing". But given North Carolina's roads, this meant I frequently found my headlights bobbing up and down on the back of the car in front of me. It started to get a little tiresome.

This is to be somewhat expected with a higher spring rate, though. It increases the ride frequency of the setup. (A good paper on ride frequency can be found here, and its contents likely explain why Pedders switched to a 12 kg/mm spring on the rear for these shocks.)

This morning I decided to try to stiffen the damping on the rear to see if I could reduce the tendency to seesaw. I discovered that I may unfortunately need to take the car back to Petty's. When the car was in the shop, I was able to adjust the topmost knob on the rear quite easily. This morning, it seemed stuck. I thought maybe something was wrong with the shock, but on wiggling the knob, I got the motion I wanted. It feels like the stem on the adjuster is catching in the hole drilled for it in the mount, so I have to keep fiddling with it to get the adjustment I want. I'll see what I can do before I take it in. (This is the only sore spot, by the way, in an otherwise excellent experience at Petty's, as I'll cover in the other thread once that's up.)

I think I managed to get the rear left set properly, but I'm not sure. Target for both bump and rebound on the rear was 17/30.

On the way in to work this morning, I decided to take the way in that includes both midcorner bumps and actual corners. There's a pretty big one on entry to the first corner, and the car hit it... and the rear end felt like it bucked vertically rather hard, which caused me to lift off the throttle to be cautious. Once I got through that, I gave it more throttle and took the last few transitions, and the car stayed well-planted.

So far, I can say the car definitely stays more planted in corners, and in combination with my BMR sway bars there's very little body roll. In a smooth corner, it feels GOOD.

Mid-corner bumps right now are a bit scary, though, since they seem to cause the tail to want to buck more than did my old Eibach-on-FE3 setup. I'll do some more tweaking on the shocks, see if I can find a setting that reduces it. Paradoxically, I may need to reduce the damping to allow the car to find that motion described in the ride frequency article/doc above. (In fact, talking to my car-nut-knows-a-heckuva-lot-more-than-I-do coworker, that's what he suggested.) So the quest continues!

GO WOLFPACK!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #56
Eidolon
Moddin' and Roddin'

Alright, let my coworker drive the car. I trust this guy because he's spent a lot more time on-track and tuning and building cars than I have by years. He actually thought well of the car, its handling, and its ride, including the way it takes bumps. So I'm not going to touch it for a while. Instead, I'm going to let myself get used to it. So I'll have further impressions down the road!

GO WOLFPACK!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #57
Rob@WretchedMS
Evil Pedders Guy Since 06

Installation by Greg at Petty

a little background on Greg

Greg Steadman
General Manager, Petty's Garage

Greg Steadman

Title:General manager
Racing credentials:Former competition director and NASCAR crew chief for Petty Enterprises.
Automotive passions:All things Chrysler

Greg Steadman drove Petty's Level Cross transformation from NASCAR race shop to aftermarket powerhouse. As Petty Enterprises' former competition director and No. 43 Dodge crew chef, Steadman applies a whole-vehicle approach to every auto Petty's Garage touches.

Cutting his teeth as a drag racer in Central Florida, Steadman's automotive passions grew alongside his skill. Today he blends racing strategy with streetcar smarts and creates savvy street vehicles optimized for strength, speed, safety and design.

Steadman's understanding of a vehicles suspension is where he really excels. Caster, camber, bumpsteer, suspension travel, static ride height, camber gain, tire deflection, contact patch, compression and rebound are all second nature to him. His ability to tune the suspension of a performance vehicle, be it a racecar to handle the 31 high banks of Daytona at 200MPH or the switch-backs of rural roads, is all second nature to him.

Steadman also has one of the best all around mechanical minds in the business. Decades of building cars from the ground up and fine-tuning them in trackside garages around the country gives Steadman – and Petty's Garage – an edge.

Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #58
Eidolon
Moddin' and Roddin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
Installation by Greg at Petty

a little background on Greg

Greg Steadman
General Manager, Petty's Garage

Greg Steadman

Title:General manager
Racing credentials:Former competition director and NASCAR crew chief for Petty Enterprises.
Automotive passions:All things Chrysler
Great guy, friendly, and hopped right in there to wrench on the car with Murph, the guy who put the coilovers on the car. I felt like I couldn't give these guys the respect they really deserve with my limited knowledge of both suspensions and their individual accomplishments. Hopefully they came away as relatively pleased with me as a customer as I was with them as a shop. They fiddled with the car for quite a while getting the height and such set up before driving it over to the shop that handles alignments for them.

I did manage to get a shot of all three of us with the car! That's Greg in the middle, and Murph on the right. Murph alone had some 30 years of experience wrenching on cars from various race series, including spending some time as a crew chief himself, I believe. Here's his bio:

Doug Murph

Title:
Master fabricator
Racing credentials:
Hung bodies for some of NASCAR's most-respected teams, including Petty Enterprises, Bill Davis Racing and Richard Childress Racing. Former shop foreman for Petty Enterprises.
Automotive passions:
All things GM

Given the amount of custom fabrication and quality of work these guys seem to be more than capable of, if I put aftermarket seats in, this will be the shop I go to for installation.

GO WOLFPACK!

Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #59
Zodiac
In the slow lane

Sounds awesome, sound like a fantastic group of guys too. They do everything performance and installation wise?

That pic shows a great stance, that js after installation correct?

Can't wait to hear more about what you like and what you don't like and overall opinion. That "seesawing" would have driven me nuts.

2014 Ram 1500 QC Express
2014 Mazda6 Touring
Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #60
TCorzett

Quote:
So far, I can say the car definitely stays more planted in corners, and in combination with my BMR sway bars there's very little body roll. In a smooth corner, it feels GOOD.
Nice!

Quote:
smaller bumps would hit the front and then rear and set the car to rocking backing and forth for just a few seconds. The best word I can find to describe it is "seesawing". But given North Carolina's roads, this meant I frequently found my headlights bobbing up and down on the back of the car in front of me. It started to get a little tiresome.
I've never really noticed a "seesawing" (aka. back-and-forth motion) when on California roads, but I can tell when the front and rear wheels encounter the bumps... it's two distinct feelings. The only time I've noticed something like what you describe is when on the frost-heave roads around Bettendorf (especially next to the hotel I was staying in). With the right driving speed the frequency in the bumps made the motion quite dramatic.

Quote:
Mid-corner bumps right now are a bit scary, though, since they seem to cause the tail to want to buck more than did my old Eibach-on-FE3 setup. I'll do some more tweaking on the shocks, see if I can find a setting that reduces it. Paradoxically, I may need to reduce the damping to allow the car to find that motion described in the ride frequency article/doc above. (In fact, talking to my car-nut-knows-a-heckuva-lot-more-than-I-do coworker, that's what he suggested.) So the quest continues!
Fortunately you have two settings to adjust...

There is one dip/bump in particular I drive over that seems to make the rear-end seem to "push-off"... all I can think is the stiff compression on the front shifts weight to the rear (compressing it) then the rear hits the bump (compressing more) then it's the "extra rebound" that I'm feeling more than normal. For this example, I'd likely put in more dampening on the rebound... that should reduce the "pushing-off" feeling. Also, I could have too much dampening on the compression (up font as well)... not allowing for maximum suspension travel. Bringing that back a click or two could help absorb the bump a bit more (minimizing the front-to-back weight transfer).

Now you're making me want to go find some turns with bumps.

-Todd...