Disabling/Overriding TPMS - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Tech Lounge

Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 11-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
RevvHigh

Default Disabling/Overriding TPMS

I have one tire with a TPMS sensor that is going haywire - it constantly reports that the tire is underinflated at 28 lbs despite the tire being fully inflated.

This isn't a big deal to me - I can check the friggin thing with a manual pressure guage from time to time - and I don't really want to shell out the bucks for a replacement TPMS.

The only problem is the irritating warning on the dash which chimes every time I start the car and puts a big ugly error notice on the display.

Is there any way to just override this and lock out the readings from that tire so it doesn't bother me any more?

I know there are stickys on reprogramming the TPMS when you get new sensors or rotate the tires... but this really isn't the same thing.
RevvHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
zepcom
Administrator

nope

This is a safety feature and by design cannot be defeated. You can thank the lawsuits from the Ford Explorer / Firestone situation from long ago for the laws that require all manufacturers have this system integral to their car.

You might benefit from taking it to a tire shop and having them perform the TPMS maintenance kit on that sensor. There might be some dirt or derbis within it that is giving it the false reading.

I recently bought a commercial grade TPMS learner, money well spent. I have had issues with the TPMS system in the past on my car, mainly the "learning" aspect of it, it would always stall on one of the right side tires during the "as outlined in the manual" method of bleeding air. The new TPMS learner does it all in about 15 seconds and I'm good to go.

Hope this helps

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM OTR Intake, Custom ZEPCOM interior Electronics (PLXdevices AFR and DashBoss iPad datalogging) solutions
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach Unbalanced catback with take-off SLP tips.
SOLO J-pipes developed and perfected with my test mule!
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

zepcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
GMCustomerService

@RevvHigh, zepcom is correct. I have this going on with my 2004 Tahoe, but mine is from the type of tires that I have and the cold weather. I ask my mechanic to put a bit more air in the tires and he let me know he had to be careful with that since it would make the TPMS go off for having too much air in the tires. LOL

From my family to yours, we hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Michelle, GM Customer Service
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
RevvHigh

Ugh.

One thing that just occurred to me is that perhaps the stealership didn't accurately reprogram the sensors last time they rotated the tires... I may be checking my right rear tire because that's the one my dashboard is chriping about, and in reality it's a different tire that I haven't bothered to manually check since the dashboard says its fine.

I guess I'll double check the other 3 tires... and if that isn't the issue, then I'll prepare to shell out to fix a needless problem that could have been remedied if the powers that be had just trusted me to use a 99cent pressure guage.

Again, ugh.

Thanks for the prompt and insightful replies, in any case.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
GOPHERIT

If you know that the PSI readout (as displayed) on the DIC is correct for all positions *except* for that one wheel, maybe you could at least verify that each of those readings agree with the readouts on the *engineering* page. Keeping in mind that the layout on that page is displayed left to right. In the format of LF--LR--RF--RR. ( like 36--39--36--39)
GOPHERIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
RevvHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
If you know that the PSI readout (as displayed) on the DIC is correct for all positions *except* for that one wheel, maybe you could at least verify that each of those readings agree with the readouts on the *engineering* page. Keeping in mind that the layout on that page is displayed left to right. In the format of LF--LR--RF--RR. ( like 36--39--36--39)
Sorry if I'm being dense, but I'm not sure what engineering mode is going to tell me that the regular display doesn't. The tire pressure for all 4 tires is one of the standard screens in 'regular' display mode. Am I misunderstanding?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
GOPHERIT

^^^ No, your looking at the *normal* page for tire PSI, which is what I use also. But you really ought to verify that you do indeed have the correct PSI in every tire to start with. Then if you get into the *engineering* page, an scroll down as needed, you will also display tire pressures. You then could verify that both sources (pages) agree with each other. If both displays show the correct pressures for each wheel, in the correct location, then you could pretty much think that the TPMS procedure *was* performed, and you have what sounds like a not so good sensor in that one wheel position.
GOPHERIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
naskie18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvHigh View Post
One thing that just occurred to me is that perhaps the stealership didn't accurately reprogram the sensors last time they rotated the tires... I may be checking my right rear tire because that's the one my dashboard is chriping about, and in reality it's a different tire that I haven't bothered to manually check since the dashboard says its fine.
I bet this is the case, I had the same issue a couple weeks ago.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
STAGEUP

If you remove the TPMS sensors completely, the BCM will then disable the warning on its own.

STAGEUP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
danswrld
Tin Indian

Mine have never been right from the get go. Had the dealership perform the service bulletin/recall on them in 2009 and they still all read about 2-4 pounds low. Also, on cold mornings, I will get an under-inflation warning on one of the tires, say the RR at 35, and the LR will read 34 and no warning will be given for it. Makes no sense so I stopped paying attention all together and just check it the manual way every month or so.
1970 Camaro real Z-28
1963 Impala Super Sport 409 dual quad 4 spd
2003 Victory Vegas
2009 White Pontiac G8 GT.........shockingly stock.
(My wife says I have a problem)
danswrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #11
zepcom
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAGEUP View Post
If you remove the TPMS sensors completely, the BCM will then disable the warning on its own.
This is incorrect. The BCM actually would be throwing several error codes within it's system -- these are verifiable via the Tech2 handheld GM programmer.

If you remove the TPMS sensors completely, you still have "tire fault" on the DIC and the bright yellow tire symbol icon.

Unless you know something that I don't... if so, please elaborate so I can learn!

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Livernois tune, VCM OTR Intake, Custom ZEPCOM interior Electronics (PLXdevices AFR and DashBoss iPad datalogging) solutions
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
PONY MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
..I recently bought a commercial grade TPMS learner, money well spent...
please share with us señor Zepcom?? I posted the same question on another thread as well.

PONY MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
mark

My winter tires don't have sensors and I see the message all winter long. It doesn't really bother me though.
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
zepcom
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
please share with us señor Zepcom?? I posted the same question on another thread as well.
Just to help others out... today on my lunch break I took a youtube video of my newest toy for the G8. I bought a KTI p.s.t. model 71990 TPMS sensor programmer tool from amazon.com for around $150 shipped. To say it simplifies the TPMS learning process as described in the users manual (and post 1 in this thread) is an understatement.

Yes, for $150 it's somewhat expensive, but way way way cheaper than a Tech2, and I can use it on multiple cars, so it's worth it to me for now and in the future.

Don't even need to pull off valvestem covers or let any air out. Quick and painless. Sorry for my "off the cuff" narration, figure most with a G8 know what I'm trying to do anyways. lol

Enjoy!

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

Old 11-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
farsighted770

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
Just to help others out... today on my lunch break I took a youtube video of my newest toy for the G8. I bought a KTI p.s.t. model 71990 TPMS sensor programmer tool from amazon.com for around $150 shipped. To say it simplifies the TPMS learning process as described in the users manual (and post 1 in this thread) is an understatement.

Yes, for $150 it's somewhat expensive, but way way way cheaper than a Tech2, and I can use it on multiple cars, so it's worth it to me for now and in the future.

Don't even need to pull off valvestem covers or let any air out. Quick and painless. Sorry for my "off the cuff" narration, figure most with a G8 know what I'm trying to do anyways. lol

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et4al7ryQh4
that is awesome! very cool... i wonder if that'd work on my gal's CTS V... the learn process on that sucks too

March G8 Of the Month! Thanks so much guys!
farsighted770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
zepcom
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsighted770 View Post
that is awesome! very cool... i wonder if that'd work on my gal's CTS V... the learn process on that sucks too

It's my understanding that that device supports all GM makes and models and can be software programming updated to support future technologies as they get invented as it pertains to TPMS systems.

Do a google search for that part number and find it online. I don't see why a CTS-V would NOT be supported, it's almost certainly supported.

Glad you enjoyed the video. I almost dropped the camera when I was pressing the unlock and lock buttons, but saved it in the nick of time. ha ha

--zepcom

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

Old 12-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
PONY MAN

Thanks for the video Zepcom. What a handy tool. I went ahead and placed once into my Amazon cart, hopefully they'll do a half off special pretty soon... . I know, wishful thinking at best.

Quote:
The PST is the only patented universal triggering tool you need for testing and resetting the TPM system The PST eliminates the need for multiple tools to service various makes and models of vehicles TPMS Quick Reference Guide on CD-ROM is a comprehensive listing of today's TPM systems, reset procedures and sensor learn procedures through the 2010 model year The guide includes a quick reference table designed to provide a single point of reference for determining when TPM systems require resetting as well as sensor nut torque requirements The laminated TPMS Quick Spec Flip Chart is designed for the shop environment, and provides a quick but comprehensive snapshot of today's TPM systems.

PONY MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #18
zepcom
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY MAN View Post
Thanks for the video Zepcom. What a handy tool. I went ahead and placed once into my Amazon cart, hopefully they'll do a half off special pretty soon... . I know, wishful thinking at best.
Hey ya never know, might get lucky!

On one of my amex cards, I had 34k worth of "points" so it was nearly free for me, it's an option during amazon checkout to use linked credit card points as cash.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Customize Options
ZEPCOM Performance

Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #19
jerluv2

Check tire rack. They have one for like 59 bucks. Not as fancy, but I bet it'll get the job done.
jerluv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
fluidfalcon
Mod-a-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvHigh View Post
Ugh.

.......reprogram the sensors last time they rotated the tires.......
You can reprogram them yourself without a special tool. I think it's in the owner's manual. Or Google search it.
1) Key in ignition, turn to "on" but don't turn the engine over.
2) Hold both unlock & lock buttons on key pad at the same time. Wait until several horn beeps.
3) Starting at drivers front, the turn signal will light up to signal you start there. Add air to tire or let air out several PSI until the horn honks once.
4) Proceed to next corner lamp that lights up (passenger front). Same process, add or subtract air.
5) Continue process each tire clockwise around the car. Reaching the 4th corner after the horn honks....3 or 4 horn honks indicate "completed."
fluidfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement