How to Replace Lower Control Arms - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 
Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Suspension / Brakes

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #21
Dictatorsaurus
Senior Member
 
Dictatorsaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 421
Default

Pickle fork didn't. Only thing that work was wacking a big hammer on the bolt about a hundred times.

Off-topic, when you install a new strut mount, how tight do the two top nuts need to be? One nut holds the mount and one nut holds the strut to the body of the car.
Dictatorsaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #22
BigZub
Senior Member
 
BigZub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 657
Default

Doesn't anyone else have subscriptions to All Data DIY? For $44.95 for the first car, you get a 5-year sub and access to nearly every piece of info about the car, including wiring diagrams, codes, troubleshooting guides, etc. I have subs for all my cars, and on only a coupld of occasions did I not find the info I needed. It even has part numbers for everything, although they are always subject to GM revision.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/

And, FWIW, the last time I replaced the CRs, my GM ball joint separator (the correct one for our cars) would simply not work. A pickle fork wouldn't work. I ended up hammering on the ball joint thread end, and they popped right out. If you need to re-use the CR's (just replacing bushings) then use an old nut on the end to hammer on.
__________________
'09 Pontiac G8 GXP, A6, Sunroof, MGM, #1664 of 1829
GMM RAMJET OTR CAI, Livernois E/TCM Tune, Kooks 1-7/8" LTs, catted mid-pipe, Hooker Polished SS MaxFlow mufflers - 394RWHP/386RWT
BMR Rear LCA's, stabilizer bars, end links, front LCA bushings, rear toe links and trailing arms, Pedders Street II kit, including subframe and diff bushings.
Hawk Ceramic pads, Brake Performance slotted and dimpled rotors, Russell stainless lines, Super Blue fluid.
Best 1/4 time - 12.52 @ 114.47, 1.94 60ft.
BigZub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
Dictatorsaurus
Senior Member
 
Dictatorsaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZub View Post
Doesn't anyone else have subscriptions to All Data DIY? For $44.95 for the first car, you get a 5-year sub and access to nearly every piece of info about the car, including wiring diagrams, codes, troubleshooting guides, etc. I have subs for all my cars, and on only a coupld of occasions did I not find the info I needed. It even has part numbers for everything, although they are always subject to GM revision.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/

And, FWIW, the last time I replaced the CRs, my GM ball joint separator (the correct one for our cars) would simply not work. A pickle fork wouldn't work. I ended up hammering on the ball joint thread end, and they popped right out. If you need to re-use the CR's (just replacing bushings) then use an old nut on the end to hammer on.
My experience with manufacturer or pro install guides is they're written for installers that have access to industrial grade tools and already have extensive mechanical knowledge. For example, when I removed the rear shock, the GM guide made it sound so simple and did not recommend removing much to get the shock out. I ended up removing much more (end link and 2 control arms) and still struggled to wiggle it out of there.

I much prefer DIY written up by home mechanics or enthusiasts.
Dictatorsaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #24
Gavine
Senior Member
 
Gavine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
Pickle fork didn't. Only thing that work was wacking a big hammer on the bolt about a hundred times.
Won't hammering on the bolt kill the ball joint? I've always heard that you're supposed to hammer what it goes through (steering knuckle).
__________________
Roof Spoiler, Catch Can, Rear Subframe Inserts, Poly Bushings (Strut Mounts, Steering Rack, Sway Bars)

Check-out our Disney Vacation Rental Home -->
http://www.emeraldislandgem.com
Gavine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
Dictatorsaurus
Senior Member
 
Dictatorsaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavine View Post
Won't hammering on the bolt kill the ball joint? I've always heard that you're supposed to hammer what it goes through (steering knuckle).
I replaced the whole arm, not just the ball joint so I didn't care about damaging it.
Dictatorsaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #26
dandragonrage
Plastidip is awful
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavine View Post
Won't hammering on the bolt kill the ball joint? I've always heard that you're supposed to hammer what it goes through (steering knuckle).
Yes, it would generally do so. And sometimes just hitting the stud doesn't do the trick. A lot of times hitting the steering knuckle with a hammer works better for actually getting the thing to break loose. But yes, it would also damage the ball joint less. But the reason we replace LCAs is mainly because of the ball joints. Obviously the bushings could be a reason as well, but the ball joint will wear out before the bushings.
__________________
Going to be trading in my G8 in January or February, 2013. It's been a good run. Thanks all. See you in the for-sale section soon as I pawn off some parts...

Car audio sale - now | Wheels & parts sale - soon
dandragonrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2007-2008, G8Board.com

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.