How to Replace Lower Control Arms - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Suspension / Brakes

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 11-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #21
Dictatorsaurus

Pickle fork didn't. Only thing that work was wacking a big hammer on the bolt about a hundred times.

Off-topic, when you install a new strut mount, how tight do the two top nuts need to be? One nut holds the mount and one nut holds the strut to the body of the car.
Dictatorsaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #22
BigZub

Doesn't anyone else have subscriptions to All Data DIY? For $44.95 for the first car, you get a 5-year sub and access to nearly every piece of info about the car, including wiring diagrams, codes, troubleshooting guides, etc. I have subs for all my cars, and on only a coupld of occasions did I not find the info I needed. It even has part numbers for everything, although they are always subject to GM revision.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/

And, FWIW, the last time I replaced the CRs, my GM ball joint separator (the correct one for our cars) would simply not work. A pickle fork wouldn't work. I ended up hammering on the ball joint thread end, and they popped right out. If you need to re-use the CR's (just replacing bushings) then use an old nut on the end to hammer on.
'09 Pontiac G8 GXP, A6, Sunroof, MGM, #1664 of 1829
GMM RAMJET OTR CAI, Livernois E/TCM Tune, Kooks 1-7/8" LTs, catted mid-pipe, Hooker Polished SS MaxFlow mufflers - 394RWHP/386RWT
BMR Rear LCA's, stabilizer bars, end links, front LCA bushings, rear toe links and trailing arms, Pedders Street II kit, including subframe and diff bushings.
Hawk Ceramic pads, Brake Performance slotted and dimpled rotors, Russell stainless lines, Super Blue fluid.
Best 1/4 time - 12.52 @ 114.47, 1.94 60ft.
BigZub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
Dictatorsaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZub View Post
Doesn't anyone else have subscriptions to All Data DIY? For $44.95 for the first car, you get a 5-year sub and access to nearly every piece of info about the car, including wiring diagrams, codes, troubleshooting guides, etc. I have subs for all my cars, and on only a coupld of occasions did I not find the info I needed. It even has part numbers for everything, although they are always subject to GM revision.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/

And, FWIW, the last time I replaced the CRs, my GM ball joint separator (the correct one for our cars) would simply not work. A pickle fork wouldn't work. I ended up hammering on the ball joint thread end, and they popped right out. If you need to re-use the CR's (just replacing bushings) then use an old nut on the end to hammer on.
My experience with manufacturer or pro install guides is they're written for installers that have access to industrial grade tools and already have extensive mechanical knowledge. For example, when I removed the rear shock, the GM guide made it sound so simple and did not recommend removing much to get the shock out. I ended up removing much more (end link and 2 control arms) and still struggled to wiggle it out of there.

I much prefer DIY written up by home mechanics or enthusiasts.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #24
Gavine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
Pickle fork didn't. Only thing that work was wacking a big hammer on the bolt about a hundred times.
Won't hammering on the bolt kill the ball joint? I've always heard that you're supposed to hammer what it goes through (steering knuckle).

Check-out our Disney Vacation Rental Home -->
http://www.emeraldislandgem.com
Gavine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
Dictatorsaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavine View Post
Won't hammering on the bolt kill the ball joint? I've always heard that you're supposed to hammer what it goes through (steering knuckle).
I replaced the whole arm, not just the ball joint so I didn't care about damaging it.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #26
dandragonrage
Plastidip is awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavine View Post
Yes, it would generally do so. And sometimes just hitting the stud doesn't do the trick. A lot of times hitting the steering knuckle with a hammer works better for actually getting the thing to break loose. But yes, it would also damage the ball joint less. But the reason we replace LCAs is mainly because of the ball joints. Obviously the bushings could be a reason as well, but the ball joint will wear out before the bushings.

Car audio sale - now | Wheels & parts sale - soon
dandragonrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement