Fiance taking my SUV- now need help deciding - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > G8 GXP Talk (V8)

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 11-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #21
bracketracer
Approved Dealer

I have a GXP because I needed/wanted a manual transmission car. If I could have gotten a manual in a GT, I probably would have gotten one, and modded it. I do have to say that if you get an automatic transmission GXP, you won't regret it though ;-) !
2009.5 G8 GXP WH 6M onyx/red no roof 12.921 @ 108.89 BONE STOCK! (then), (now) 12.365 @ 112.14 with 1.778 60' at 1751' DA, 2:59 lap time at Road America on RS-As
VCM OTR CAI, HSRK, custom street/dyno tune by oldskoolgp, Monster LT1S (C7 Corvette) Clutch kit, Katech C6 Hvy Dty Master & Slave Cylinders, Kooks LTHs, Solo Hi-Flo Cats & Connector Pipes, Solo Mach Balanced Catback, BMR Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Cradle & Diff Poly Bushings, DRs
1 of only 10 built in this combo (1 of 4 this combo with RS-As)& #1497 built of the 1829
bracketracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #22
hgill02

Really appreciating the input. Both seem like great cars.

Even though I say I will be driving in the city, it's not Los Angeles (its bakersfield) Most streets here have a speed limit above 50 mph. So it won't be stop and go traffic. For the right car, I'm willing to spend a grand or so above my top number too. I am really looking for a car that will last me the next 5+ years and still kick ass.
hgill02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
J_Wright

GT.

The GXP is more exclusive, and everything from parts to insurance will reflect that. With the GT there is 90%+ of the GXP experience, and if 90%+ isn't enough, then there's always the aftermarket/GXP parts. In my opinion, if you are going to take it to the local road course, go with the GXP. Otherwise, the GT will keep you grinning from ear to ear. Especially with some simple modifications, and you would easily have that budgeted with the amount you'd save over a GXP.
J_Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #24
Terp4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Wright View Post
GT.

The GXP is more exclusive, and everything from parts to insurance will reflect that. With the GT there is 90%+ of the GXP experience, and if 90%+ isn't enough, then there's always the aftermarket/GXP parts. In my opinion, if you are going to take it to the local road course, go with the GXP. Otherwise, the GT will keep you grinning from ear to ear. Especially with some simple modifications, and you would easily have that budgeted with the amount you'd save over a GXP.
My insurance went up exactly $6/yr when I traded the gt for my gxp. Apart from the wheels, what is significantly more expensive?
Terp4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #25
hgill02

Not too worried about insurance. I have a clean record and i have had the m3 and 350z on there before so no worries there. Gas isn't of concern as my suv right now only gives me 14mpg so it won't be far worse. I am really leaning towards the Gxp because I keep thinking If I get the GT, I'm always wonder maybe I should have gotten the GXP.

I really don't want to spend tons of money modifying the car either to make it fast as the gxp.

I am also not in a big rush. I have basically from today till April to get one. Getting married on April 27, so anytime before that would be fine.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #26
wreckwriter
9 Second G8

You'll be happy with either one. I personally despise manual transmissions on anything with more than 4 wheels but given the option would probably get a GXP if you can since you're only planning minimal mods.

2011-13 G8 King
wreckwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #27
Belo4884

I would say the GXP.

I fought the same question before I bought my GXP. I was looking into modded GT's but the deciding factor with the GXP's was so rare and I found a good deal on one about 4 hrs from where I love. I bought mine for $27,200 back in April. I went from driving a 08 Grand Prix GXP to my G8 GXP and the insurance went up a whole $5 a month... no big deal.

I drive 11 miles one way to work and it is combined city/highway with plenty of lights and I get between 16-17mpg. Mine has the Automatic(wife can't drive stick...) and I don't have any complaints with it with the TCM flashed. I have a diablo tuner with the 93 Octane tune with the Firm Shift for the transmission. I would definitely buy a tuner as soon as you buy it if you get the Automatic. It seemed before the TCM tune that it was fishing for the right gear to be in, but the car really woke up after the tune.
PBM GXP A6 Roof Onyx #849 of 1829
Maggie 2300 with 3" SOLO Cat Back Exhaust
Belo4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #28
hgill02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo4884 View Post
I would say the GXP.

I fought the same question before I bought my GXP. I was looking into modded GT's but the deciding factor with the GXP's was so rare and I found a good deal on one about 4 hrs from where I love. I bought mine for $27,200 back in April. I went from driving a 08 Grand Prix GXP to my G8 GXP and the insurance went up a whole $5 a month... no big deal.

I drive 11 miles one way to work and it is combined city/highway with plenty of lights and I get between 16-17mpg. Mine has the Automatic(wife can't drive stick...) and I don't have any complaints with it with the TCM flashed. I have a diablo tuner with the 93 Octane tune with the Firm Shift for the transmission. I would definitely buy a tuner as soon as you buy it if you get the Automatic. It seemed before the TCM tune that it was fishing for the right gear to be in, but the car really woke up after the tune.
That is what I am leaning towards. My work is about 10 miles from home and its mixed speeds of 45-55 MPH on lights. I am currently on the hunt for one. I have to get the automatic as well because soon to be wife cant drive stick. I am not too familiar with the different tunes, so will have to look more into that. One thing thats been drawing me to the GXP is that fact that its powerful right out the box, beating out most new cars (5.0 mustangs, 370z) etc.

How was the tune if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks for your help
Old 11-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #29
Belo4884

Yea its nice to pull up to people and just blow the doors someone who has no idea what we drive!!

Tune wise the Diablo is very easy. All you do is plug into the OBD2 port and then select which the tune you want to install to the PCM then it will ask about the TCM. One you pick them it will flash both. I have done it a few different times and have it fail once. The TCM tune didnt take and the car was pretty much put in limp mode, stuck in 2nd gear and wouldnt shift... luckily I was at work (I run an auto repair shop) and I was able to get into the TCM with my scanner and clear all the codes and I retried the tune and it worked. Overall works great but if I didnt have access to the scanner I would have been stuck and maybe had to take it to the dealer...
PBM GXP A6 Roof Onyx #849 of 1829
Maggie 2300 with 3" SOLO Cat Back Exhaust
Belo4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #30
bostonf4$

It sounds like you've made your mind up so get the GXP - but like I mentioned will be MUCH harder to find one w/ the right combo of price/color/options/proximity.

Everyone's position is different. I personally wanted to get a GXP, but ONLY due to the manual tranny (the SOTP feel between A6 gxp and A6 gt is not significant IMO) but at the time they were literally just hitting the lots and dealers were not budging in price much at all. So I got a new leftover 2008 for a good deal ($28,000) w/ all the options.

Another thing to consider is how much you drive - at the time I purchased and really only up until recently I was putting on an average of 23,000 miles a year, so while I immediately put on an intake/exhaust/tune (which nearly equaled the stock A6 GXP power-wise), the other differences that I upgraded like brakes/suspension took care of themselves through routine maintenance since I was racking up the miles quickly.

W/ the way the prices are now and in my current situation if I was shopping for used G8 it'd be the M6 GXP and only the M6 because there is nothing else that compares (4000 lb V8 RWD 4 door w/ stick) save an M5 and that is $90,000 new and much more than a GXP used.

IMHO opinion for the reasons I stated the A6 was not worth the premium at all TO ME - to others may be different. Good luck w/ whatever you get either way you will not be disappointed.
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #31
hgill02

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonf4$ View Post
It sounds like you've made your mind up so get the GXP - but like I mentioned will be MUCH harder to find one w/ the right combo of price/color/options/proximity.

Everyone's position is different. I personally wanted to get a GXP, but ONLY due to the manual tranny (the SOTP feel between A6 gxp and A6 gt is not significant IMO) but at the time they were literally just hitting the lots and dealers were not budging in price much at all. So I got a new leftover 2008 for a good deal ($28,000) w/ all the options.

Another thing to consider is how much you drive - at the time I purchased and really only up until recently I was putting on an average of 23,000 miles a year, so while I immediately put on an intake/exhaust/tune (which nearly equaled the stock A6 GXP power-wise), the other differences that I upgraded like brakes/suspension took care of themselves through routine maintenance since I was racking up the miles quickly.

W/ the way the prices are now and in my current situation if I was shopping for used G8 it'd be the M6 GXP and only the M6 because there is nothing else that compares (4000 lb V8 RWD 4 door w/ stick) save an M5 and that is $90,000 new and much more than a GXP used.

IMHO opinion for the reasons I stated the A6 was not worth the premium at all TO ME - to others may be different. Good luck w/ whatever you get either way you will not be disappointed.
I really appreciate your input. You are right that I will like to get a GXP, but only if the price is right. If i can not find one for a reasonable price, I am not against just picking up a G8 GT say for example for $22,000 which I have found quite a few for that price and just put in about 5,000 in mods to make it just right. It really is going to depend on the best deal.

My number one color preference is Gray, which isnt offered (or atleast i have not seen yet) on the GXP. Lets see what happens. I have been browsing the classified on here as well as Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com, etc...

The great thing is that I am not in a rush. I have approximately 4 months to find the right one.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #32
b_camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgill02 View Post
My number one color preference is Gray, which isnt offered (or atleast i have not seen yet) on the GXP. Lets see what happens. I have been browsing the classified on here as well as Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com, etc...
04 Forester 2.5XT M5
02 F250
91+ SHO
b_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #33
LS1_Disciple

Quote:
Not too worried about insurance. I have a clean record and i have had the m3 and 350z on there before so no worries there. Gas isn't of concern as my suv right now only gives me 14mpg so it won't be far worse. I am really leaning towards the Gxp because I keep thinking If I get the GT, I'm always wonder maybe I should have gotten the GXP.

I really don't want to spend tons of money modifying the car either to make it fast as the gxp.

I am also not in a big rush. I have basically from today till April to get one. Getting married on April 27, so anytime before that would be fine.
I see this a lot. Seems a lot of the GT folks struggle with this question. Some make the switch to a GXP, and others just mod the GT up. I have never seen someone with a GXP ask, "maybe I should have just saved the $8k, bought a GT, and modded it." So if you're already wondering this, you should probably go for the GXP.

That said, like bracketracer, if they had a manual option for the GT, that's what I'd be driving right now. Manual trans was the only reason for me to go GXP.

2009 Silver GXP M6 - TVS 2300, Solo HFCs, New Era CAI, LSR shifter, Russell SS brake lines, Pedders subframe bushings/front strut bushings, Tune by Reckart Performance Tuning, ZL1 fuel pump, GForce axles
CAI - 358 rwhp 364 rwtq (Dynapack hub dyno) ; 13.76 @ 104.7mph (~2800 ft DA)
2300/HFCs - 516 rwhp 501 rwtq (Dynapack hub dyno)
LS1_Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #34
Nothin_But_Tail_Lights

Depends what deals you find for either. If you can find the GT for quite a bit cheaper, I would say take it. Because it does not take many mods to get up to the GXP performance wise. Also, if you every plan on going cam and supercharger, definitely go GT. From the wide range i've seen, and what they told me at livernois, with the same setup done to a GT and GXP, your going to see a 10-15 rwhp difference if that between the two. Now if you go supercharger only, you will see a bit more disparity. The Cam on the GT is way too small and restrictive, as soon as you pop in a new one, its ready to GOOO!! However, if you don't plan on modding and can get a GXP at a reasonably close price to the GT, I would go GXP route instead. That's just my 2 cents.

2009 Red G8 GT - Daily driver
Maggie 2300 @ 9 psi with rear 1:1 cog drive, KB BAP, Livernois Stage 1 Cam Kit, 3 Bar Map, Milled Heads, Ported TB & Intake, Doug Thorley LT headers, Borla exhaust, Roto Fab CAI, Eibach lowering Springs, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, GXP Front Fascia and Rear Diffuser, Tuned by Livernois Motorsports...
592rwhp & 544rwtq

Nothin_But_Tail_Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #35
hgill02

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1_Disciple View Post
I see this a lot. Seems a lot of the GT folks struggle with this question. Some make the switch to a GXP, and others just mod the GT up. I have never seen someone with a GXP ask, "maybe I should have just saved the $8k, bought a GT, and modded it." So if you're already wondering this, you should probably go for the GXP.

That said, like bracketracer, if they had a manual option for the GT, that's what I'd be driving right now. Manual trans was the only reason for me to go GXP.
That is what seems to be the consensus here. GXP is really if u want to go for the manual, which I won't be going for since fiancé can't drive it and plus that's the only item she requested to be automatic so will oblige. It's currently sitting at about 7-9 thousand dollar difference with the gas guzzler tax and all. I'm not sure if its worth it for an automatic.

I'm starting to wonder maybe a G8 GT

Exhaust
CAI
Tune
Headers

Maybe not be too bad with these mods and still might way cheaper.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #36
Terp4life

Cali charges gas guzzler tax on used cars?
Terp4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #37
Nothin_But_Tail_Lights

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder maybe a G8 GT

Exhaust
CAI
Tune
Headers

Maybe not be too bad with these mods and still might way cheaper.
With these mods you will be looking at between 350-360RWHP, which is pretty much right where a GXP is at. Essientially giving you a GXP for less money.

2009 Red G8 GT - Daily driver
Maggie 2300 @ 9 psi with rear 1:1 cog drive, KB BAP, Livernois Stage 1 Cam Kit, 3 Bar Map, Milled Heads, Ported TB & Intake, Doug Thorley LT headers, Borla exhaust, Roto Fab CAI, Eibach lowering Springs, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, GXP Front Fascia and Rear Diffuser, Tuned by Livernois Motorsports...
592rwhp & 544rwtq

Nothin_But_Tail_Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #38
hgill02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp4life View Post
Cali charges gas guzzler tax on used cars?
I think I may be mistaken. It may not apply to used cars.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #39
bostonf4$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin_But_Tail_Lights View Post
With these mods you will be looking at between 350-360RWHP, which is pretty much right where a GXP is at. Essientially giving you a GXP for less money.
A6 GXP more like 330-340whp - M6's are the ones in the 350-360 range

360whp GT > stock or tune only A6 GXP

The GXP's in my area w/ low miles are all listed in the high 20's low 30's and even $36,000 for one in Mystic, CT -IMO - you buy an A6 GXP for $35,000 you deserve a kick in the nuts
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #40
hgill02

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonf4$ View Post
A6 GXP more like 330-340whp - M6's are the ones in the 350-360 range

360whp GT > stock or tune only A6 GXP

The GXP's in my area w/ low miles are all listed in the high 20's low 30's and even $36,000 for one in Mystic, CT -IMO - you buy an A6 GXP for $35,000 you deserve a kick in the nuts
Lol if I paid 35,000 for a car, my fiancé will already be kicking me in the nuts. I'm definitely planning to stay way below that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement