Doing Bilsteins, need help with Kings - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Suspension / Brakes

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 11-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
JonRobbinSS

Then to see if your contact has any more pull then the people here in Poway (Bilstein NA) here is the part number for the rear shock. BE5-F588.

Let us know if he is able to source them. I know they are made in Germany and shipped and sold in Australia, but I can find no one from Bilstein NA interested in getting them here.
#10 of 1829 GXPs
#2 of 171 SRM GXPs
Consolidated list of Mods to the car
JonRobbinSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
5litrarag
The Mustang dude

I talked to the Bilstein NA guys at SEMA 2011 show and they had no interest in getting them here. And while I'd really love to get a set, because my experience with them on my mustangs has always been great, the price kills it for me. I will NOT pay that much for something that should cost no more than 600 bucks a set.

The new baby - 09 White Hot G8 GT
Tinted, badges deleted

5litrarag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #23
TheStevo

That means that you think that Bilstein is cheaper than Koni...
TheStevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #24
5litrarag
The Mustang dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStevo View Post
That means that you think that Bilstein is cheaper than Koni...
I think they are pretty comparable, but Koni's products are USUALLY leaning more toward the racing equipment end of the spectrum than Bilstein is. So when you say I think Bilsteins are "cheaper" I would tend to agree, but only in terms of pricing, not quality. And when we are talking about something like a damper insert I dont think I'm unreasonable in feeling like they shouldnt cost more than 600 bucks.
So what will I do... chances are I will go with the Koni inserts because my experience with the other brands who make something for these cars range from none at all to not very complimentary.

Tinted, badges deleted

Last edited by 5litrarag; 11-27-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #25
Vz28

OP, I apologize if this is pushing off-topic again...
If I get a chance to go to PRI again this year I will speak to the Bilstein reps again and let you know what I find out (JonRobbinSS and I spoke about this after I talked to them last year).

TheStevo, since I've run the Eibachs/Bilsteins for 2k+ miles now and have put them through their handling paces, I'd say they are reasonably well matched but I would have liked to try a linear spring. I do feel the Bilsteins are underdamped at low-speed shock rates, but it does make for a comfortable (better than FE3) highway ride. I can provide more feedback in the appropriate thread if anyone wants to hear it.

Unfortunately I do not know the Eibach spring rates/lengths in comparison to the King springs you ordered, but it might be useful data for others if someone can post the info.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #26
5litrarag
The Mustang dude

When you say under damped, does the car feel like its bobbing around a lot over larger bumps or does it hit really hard and cause the car to feel unsettled?
Because if its the latter I'd venture to say the springs aren't up to the job and need a higher rate and that soft, "like stock" ride that Eibach likes to claim, is the problem.

Oh and BTW, I looked around for spring rates back in 09 when I first got my car because thats really the only way to compare springs if they arent in the car. But apparently its proprietary info that really isnt discussed or offered.

Tinted, badges deleted

Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #27
greggy

Eibach's are way shorter and thicker dia. than stock springs... thus stiffer.

Must be that the Bilsteins have less damping than FE3's at low piston speeds.
greggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #28
Vz28

Yes at a very low shock rate they don't immediately damp out the spring compression/rebound, which is probably due to the initial rate of the Eibachs being very low/soft (progressive). This is why I suggested trying a linear spring with the Bilsteins, not sure if sets are available for the G8 but I imagine so or an off-the-shelf option might work. These shocks/struts can be easily revalved by a qualified mechanic.

That being said...it's a trade-off as a linear spring with higher initial rate may feel harsher, and the Eibachs/Bilsteins do IMO provide a more comfortable highway ride than the FE3, while firming up almost immediately (after a little lean) if you need to turn. The handling is good and the limits are noticeably higher, the amount of lean is just more than expected (not necessarily a bad thing).

I should probably make a separate thread with feedback on this setup, apologies again to the OP.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #29
TheStevo

Well so far ive only been able to install the rears, the fronts should be installed in the next few days, one thing that is kinda annoying me is that the rears are supposed to sit at 380mm from the hub to the fender, but they are all the way at 340mm, Any opinions on this?? This is also hurting the ride (since theres 40mm less of travel), altho I will say they still feel MUCH better than the BC Coilovers i had.

Also Vz28, its fine
Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #30
Vz28

While I can't give you info on the King springs drop, I did notice with the Bilsteins/Eibachs that it did not match the Eibach specs, it was about 0.75" drop front, 1.25" drop rear (from memory) compared to 1"/0.8" specs (someone correct me if I'm wrong on Eibach specs). New OEM front strut mounts.

Also, if you have the same Bilstein rears, check the spring perch height - it can be adjusted +/-10mm or so from the center height (3 positions). I am using the middle perch height.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #31
Vz28

Just to follow up, I spoke to the Bilstein reps at PRI today. Nothing exciting but I will send out a few PMs later and post info if there is anything to report. TheStevo and anyone else who has placed orders, if you can post or PM me the exact and complete part numbers for your front and rear Bilsteins, that would be helpful.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #32
TheStevo

Front: F4-PE3-H509-M0
Rear: F4-BE5-F588-M0
Old 12-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #33
5litrarag
The Mustang dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggy View Post
Eibach's are way shorter and thicker dia. than stock springs... thus stiffer.
Actually that has very little / nothing to do with the spring rate. That needs to be properly measured. If a friend of mine still had access to a spring "dyno" he used at a former job, I'd get the info I'm looking for myself.

Tinted, badges deleted

Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #34
Vz28

Thanks TheStevo. Your rears match what I have, fronts probably do too but I need to find the part numbers and check.

Disclaimer: I have no pricing information and am not selling anything.

I spoke with the Director of Sales/Product Management from the Poway, CA office. Bottom line is this: They are actively developing products for the 2010+ Camaro. If the Camaro Bilstein setup(s) or another setup similar to the G8 could work with minor shock body/travel modifications, it may require an initial order of 500+ sets to have them customize a product for the G8.
On the topic of shock valving, if they needed to come up with a calibration for our vehicles they will do so in Poway, CA and they will find a local vehicle.

The reps were unaware that there was already a Commodore setup. IF it is a standard Bilstein product (not a one-off design for a specific Australian company or companies) the reps speculated that an order of 50 sets might be enough for them to throw them in a crate and ship them to the US directly.

Take this info as what it is, casual discussion with the sales director and no commitment whatsoever. I will follow up with them this week to provide the part numbers. If anyone would like me to ask anything else, let me know.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #35
Todasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vz28 View Post
Thanks TheStevo. Your rears match what I have, fronts probably do too but I need to find the part numbers and check.

The reps were unaware that there was already a Commodore setup. IF it is a standard Bilstein product (not a one-off design for a specific Australian company or companies) the reps speculated that an order of 50 sets might be enough for them to throw them in a crate and ship them to the US directly.

Take this info as what it is, casual discussion with the sales director and no commitment whatsoever. I will follow up with them this week to provide the part numbers. If anyone would like me to ask anything else, let me know.
This sounds very promising
Eibach, Monroe GT Sport, Lovells, BMR
Brakes: Brembos F&R Black/White
Engine: Roto-Fab, Rick C. TB/ intake/ heads, EPS 224/228 .629 .629 114+4 cam, Pat G. tuned
Kook's 1 7/8 LTH X & Mid pipes, 12468 Magnaflow, Hooker Maxflo,4" ebay tips
12.53 @ 113mph +1487 DA 4130 lbs 392whp 372wtq
Todasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #36
toedrag

TheStevo, Vz28, JonRobbinSS - still enjoying your Bilsteins?
Old 07-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #37
Vz28

Yes. Were they worth the cost? Not sure.

The front struts work really well but the street driver in me would take a little bit out of the compression valving to soften the impact of small bumps - my experience of both brands is that Konis are generally a little better in this regard at the expense of a bit of road feel. Otherwise they are excellent.

The rears are pretty good for ride quality and handling but could stand more damping all around to better match the fronts. It feels like this was an off-the-shelf valving for another model.

Will have to check mileage since install but they still behave like new.

Keep in mind I have Eibach springs (now using the top perch on rears). If I ever have the need for better handling I would revalve them and switch to stiffer springs.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #38
JonRobbinSS

I have been daily driving these and racing about 1-2 times a month since their install and other than checking the front gland nuts a couple of times (finally bought the right wrench for the job to get these tight and after that no more issues) they have been worry free.

I have no regrets with the Bilsteins combined with the King HD SL springs. The stiffer springs seem to like these dampers.

I will echo Vz28's observations that the rear dampers could use a little more rebound control, but they are still way better than the FE3 setup even there.
#10 of 1829 GXPs
#2 of 171 SRM GXPs
Consolidated list of Mods to the car
JonRobbinSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #39
toedrag

Thx to both of you for your fast response!

Is it safe to assume that the car is flatter everywhere - dive, squat, & roll?

Are either you using aftermarket sway bars?
Old 08-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #40
Vz28

Yes, flatter everywhere. Due to less rear rebound control and the Eibachs (softer than the King HDs) there is still noticeable rear dive/squat but it is better than stock.

I am using BMR sway bars set on full stiff front and rear. They were installed before the Bilsteins/Eibachs and did make quite a difference on their own in terms of roll. Rear subframe bushing inserts helped quite a lot with transitional stability.

I think JonRobbinSS is using the same sway bars (apologies if I am incorrect).
Advertisement