Tail of the Dragon/Deals Gap - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Community > Lounge

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 08-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
sidebite252

Default Tail of the Dragon/Deals Gap

We just returned from a great trip to the Smoky Moutains and discovered "The Dragon". I never knew this existed. We were in our Terrain and I let the wife drive "The Dragon". Since returning home I've done some searching on UTube and some of these riders are crazy! Would be a blast to make a few passes in the G8. Any of you ever made a pass through Deals Gap in your G8?
Cortex Tuned 93oct tune w/ AFM disabled
20 x 8.5 Status Dynasty S802
sidebite252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Troy Trackbeast
Super Moderator

not yet in the G8. Several trips on the bikes though!
Troy Trackbeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
TCorzett

I drove there all the way from California. Fun stretch of road!

-Todd...
Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
enseriojose
8, 8, 8 is great

Thread revival!

Really?! Only one person has taken their G8 to the Tail of the Dragon? I'm planning on going down in the spring with a group of friends (will include a late 80s 911 and buell). We're going to take on the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway.

Present: 1996 hellrot e36 328is
-3 pedals

Future: Gxp or e39 m5
-3 pedals
enseriojose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
GTFWIN

I have been down there several times on the bike, great road but crowded on the weekends plus you have to keep an eye out for the 18 wheelers trying to negotiate the "318's" taking their lane and most of yours. Other roads in the area are better with less traffic and fewer patrols, but the "gap" should be on everyones "bucket list".

Last edited by GTFWIN; 11-29-2012 at 03:58 PM.
GTFWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
BigZub

I drove it in my Escalade. Serious fun! And 18-wheelers aren't allowed on that road, but there are a few (idiots) who ignore the restriction signs. I've always wanted to take the G8 down there for a serious run!
'09 Pontiac G8 GXP, A6, Sunroof, MGM, #1664 of 1829
GMM RAMJET OTR CAI, Livernois E/TCM Tune, Kooks 1-7/8" LTs and catted mid-pipe, Hooker Polished SS Maximum Flow mufflers - 394RWHP/386RWT
Spohn Rear LCA's, rear toe links and trailing arms, Pedders Street II kit, including subframe and diff bushings.
BMR Stabilizer bars and end links.
Hawk Ceramic front pads, Russell stainless lines, Super Blue fluid.
Best 1/4 time - 12.52 @ 114.47, 1.94 60ft.
BigZub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
WiderIsBetter

I don't know how many times I've driven the Dragon (all in my old cars). I'm looking forward to getting the G8 out there for sure.
WiderIsBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
White Hotness

I have a full suspension Mazda 6 3.0 V6 that has slayed the dragon tons of times since 2004 and still going strong. Hadnt got to take the G8 yet cant wait though
White Hotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Eidolon
Moddin' and Roddin'

I live in North Carolina and... I've never been. I dunno why.

#1468 : 1 of 67 as optioned

Stop, Go, Turn, and Show. I've changed them all on my car, and it's been a labor of love in my garage for almost all of them.

GO WOLFPACK!

Daily Driver: Focus ST
Eidolon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
White Hotness

Yeah Im also in Carolina Mazdas they usually go about twice a year as a group . We do the Dragon then head into Gatlinburg for the weekend. Hadnt gone the past 3 years though just happened to be busy everytime the trips came up. Hope to make it back out next year.
White Hotness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #11
lonewolfz28
Master Sheep Hurdler

I took my Z28 through it a couple times.

I never really had the chance to take the G8. The only time the G8 has seen NC was when I stopped in Goldsboro to see some old friends and then continued south.
Mods: Superchips Cortex tune; Modded New Era OTR CAI; HSRK; Custom intake heat shield; Baer Front BBK; BMR Adjustable Rear LCA's, Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Sway Bars/Sway Bar Links & Poly Strut Mounts; Pedders Front LCA's, Shocks and Poly Rear Sub-frame, Rear Upper Arm & Differential Bushings; Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 265/40-18 tires.
lonewolfz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #12
toedrag

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidebite252 View Post
We just returned from a great trip to the Smoky Moutains and discovered "The Dragon". I never knew this existed. We were in our Terrain and I let the wife drive "The Dragon". Since returning home I've done some searching on UTube and some of these riders are crazy! Would be a blast to make a few passes in the G8. Any of you ever made a pass through Deals Gap in your G8?
FYI, If you want something a little closer to home, look up the Three Sisters (335,336,and 337) in the TX Hill Country.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
matts88yj

My better half has done it in her TBSS. A few coworkers take their Mini's down there for a big meet. I'll be taking the car down in the next few years. Going to take it to the V8SC race first.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #14
bostonf4$

I've been there years ago when I was kid, sight seeing. From what I have heard/read it is way way way played out now and good luck having a "spirited" ride/drive there because it is so publicized it is usually crawling w/ motorists. There are many other roads near there worth checking out also.

If you don't want to drive so far south checking out southwestern VA or WV Blue Ridge Mountains is worthwhile as well.
'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
bostonf4$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #15
Eidolon
Moddin' and Roddin'

I should've done what Todd did when I made my trip to Iowa for GONE: take a bit more time and try to find the good driving roads on the way. The simple highway plod that I'd planned for myself was unsatisfying knowing I was missing quite a bit of fun on the way.

#1468 : 1 of 67 as optioned

Stop, Go, Turn, and Show. I've changed them all on my car, and it's been a labor of love in my garage for almost all of them.

GO WOLFPACK!

Daily Driver: Focus ST
Eidolon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
MRM

I don't live too far from there and haven't been there in a long time. I guess since so many bikers are getting run over up there I've not much desire to go through there.
MRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
jhardy06

Went there again when I was there back in April, first time with the G8 but had my GTI up there several times when I had it. Love that road. Next time I make it up there I'm going to do some exploring on the other roads up there

2010 Holden Commodore SSV Replica
Mods: Custom SCT Tune, Volant Intake, x-pipe, SLP Loudmouth axelback, Caddy auto-dim rear view mirror, Holden Commodore Trunk Emblems and Center Caps, FE3 Struts & H&R Sport Springs, Bluetooth Audio
jhardy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #18
TCorzett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
I should've done what Todd did when I made my trip to Iowa for GONE: take a bit more time and try to find the good driving roads on the way. The simple highway plod that I'd planned for myself was unsatisfying knowing I was missing quite a bit of fun on the way.
There are way too many nice roads back/forth across the appalachians to just drive the freeway! Fortunately you're close enough to make another trip... I'll just have to live with my memories.

This is the route I drove on the way home from GONE in 2011...

That little purple section is the Tail of the Dragon. While it's fun to do, there were much better roads in the area.

-Todd...

PS - West Virginia coal roads are a blast too!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
PSM09
Tail o'the Dragon Action!

Yes, I've done the Dragon, sig pic and avatar are from there. The Dragon is fun, more so on a bike. In a car, I would not miss the Cherohala Skyway http://www.cherohala.com/ . Much more enjoyable in a car and not at all full of traffic. Not far from the Dragon.

Tail of the Dragon-car's not lowered, just leanin'
Pat
ASE Certified Master Tech, over 30 years
2009 G8 GT
Pacific Slate Metallic ( who came up with that name?)
1 of 1063 GTs this color
Premium Package, Sunroof and All-Seasons, no Sport
ClearMask, BMR rear subrame mounts and Advanced 2-way Remote, self installed
BrakePerformance.com slotted and dimpled rotors plus Carbotech 1521 pads all around
Dead stock otherwise
PSM09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #20
sidebite252

Quote:
Originally Posted by toedrag View Post
FYI, If you want something a little closer to home, look up the Three Sisters (335,336,and 337) in the TX Hill Country.
Thanks for the tip. I will check this out. Wife and I love the Hill Country. Never heard of Three Sisters but I'm going to do some research. Theres actually several trips that draw my interest. I'd love to take the gate back to Deals Gap and since we took a trip earlier to Mount Rushmore I've also discovered the Sand Hills in Nebraska. They have an event every year that allows controlled speed passes on a 55 mile course through Northwest Nebraska. I'm sure that road would be fun drive as well.
Cortex Tuned 93oct tune w/ AFM disabled
20 x 8.5 Status Dynasty S802
sidebite252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement