V6 Lowering Springs Help - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Suspension / Brakes

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
acarlone

Default V6 Lowering Springs Help

Hi everyone, I know this is a frequently asked question but I can't seem to find a straight forward answer to my questions.... I have 18" Vmr V710's... Looking to get my V6 lowered to eliminate as much of the front wheel gap as possible.

I can't find too many threads on here for a lowered v6 with 18"s. I think I'm set on H&R because it will lower it the most, but don't know if it will make it too low in the back. Nor can I really find pics to help me.

Also, want to know if I will need to replace the struts, etc when I install the springs? Would prefer not to....

Am open to all suggestions, comments, etc but most importantly pictures of v6 with lowering springs on 18" rims!!! Thanks in advance
acarlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
romeyjdogg

How many miles are on your shocks/struts?

35W HID, LED fogs, custom front/rear Pontiac symbol badges, sharkfin, BlueStar Bluetooth, GXP front end, GXP diffuser, x-pipe, straight through mufflers with helmholtz chambers, RotoFab intake , Eibach springs, FE3 shocks/struts, BMR rear subframe inserts
romeyjdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
acarlone

About 62k
acarlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
romeyjdogg

Just my opinion, but you'll probably want to swap those out since you have 62K miles already. Doesn't really make sense to pull everything out (struts, springs, mounts) and then have to replace shocks and struts soon thereafter.

Also, since you're going H&R, you may want to think about getting some shocks and struts that are made for lowering springs. H&Rs are getting kind of aggressive on the drop for stock dampers. Don't get me wrong though, you can definitely get away with stock dampers, as others on the board have with H&Rs, but chances are they won't last all that long.

While you have everything apart, do yourself a favor and install the poly strut mounts as well so you don't have to worry about the stock rubber mounts collapsing on you in the future. I noticed no increase in NVH when mine went in and they do not need grease.

35W HID, LED fogs, custom front/rear Pontiac symbol badges, sharkfin, BlueStar Bluetooth, GXP front end, GXP diffuser, x-pipe, straight through mufflers with helmholtz chambers, RotoFab intake , Eibach springs, FE3 shocks/struts, BMR rear subframe inserts
romeyjdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
MFE

Good advice. Lots of people put XYZ springs on struts & shocks that weren't intended for the spring rate, and with bushings that have seen better days, and then end up saying "those springs ride rough". But usually it's not the springs, it's the things that control the springs They contribute more to ride quality than springs do until you get into really short or really stiff springs.
MFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement