A/C control question... - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Tech Lounge

Tech Lounge First Mods / Basic Tech Questions

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
AlbertGT

Default A/C control question...

I have had my GT for a few weeks now and have found something that annoys me quite a bit. I have noticed that when you turn off the car and restart it all of the temp and all of the settings stay the same but the recirc. button needs to be pressed everytime I restart the car. My question is, how can I make it stay on?

Thanks in advance

2008 G8 GT tastefully modded, dyno 370 HP 390 TQ
R.I.P. 2008 G8 GT, all stock
AlbertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
GOPHERIT

Myself, I never pay attention to the AC setting. If its on (its on). If its off (its off). But I think the reading that I can find, says that as part of the Auto AC turn-on function, *it* will decide how long the recirc actuator will be in play *at each start-up* (with no indication that it starts off being in the recirc mode), before auto switching to the outside air source. It sounds like they don't want you in the recirc mode any longer than necessary. So they must be forcing *you* to override into that function if you really just gota have it.
GOPHERIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
gr8t gt

Recirc mode only works when A/C is on and should only be used during high ambient temperatures for max cooling. The HVAC system is designed to keep fresh air moving through the cabin.
There is a pollution mode setting to have the system recirc at low speeds during stop and go traffic.

Rare '09 MGM GT7 ONYX/RED
TVS1900 @ 6.5psi, Kooks LT, Cats, SLP Powerflow Mufflers, Swiss cheese stock air box, LS9 Cam and Injectors, BAP
516 rwhp-462 rwtq (time for larger injectors and more boost)

'11 Silverdo LTZ DuraMax
Stock (for now)

'12 Mustang GT/CS
Loud Ass Flowmaster's (wife's car)
gr8t gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
AlbertGT

I just don't like to smell the guy in front of me exhaust. Its annoying in city traffic. I have that pollution setting on, but it still turns off in traffic.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
GOPHERIT

Other than continuing to request recirc *on*, with a touch of your finger after engine start, I have know idea what you can do. Even after extended time in the recirc mode, it says the AC system will move that (recirc/outside air) door to a position to cause *some* outside air to enter, an mix with the existing recirc air. So at some given time your preventive smell-o-door, is going to crack open due to a command from the HVAC. I suppose there could be a way to re-program the HVAC to do what you want, but I would doubt it for safety reasons alone.
Maybe some vendor sells a cabin filter element saturated with carbon or charcoal or whatever that product is that can alter or cancel the odor.
GOPHERIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
AlbertGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
Other than continuing to request recirc *on*, with a touch of your finger after engine start, I have know idea what you can do. Even after extended time in the recirc mode, it says the AC system will move that (recirc/outside air) door to a position to cause *some* outside air to enter, an mix with the existing recirc air. So at some given time your preventive smell-o-door ( thats funny, ), is going to crack open due to a command from the HVAC. I suppose there could be a way to re-program the HVAC to do what you want, but I would doubt it for safety reasons alone.
Maybe some vendor sells a cabin filter element saturated with carbon or charcoal or whatever that product is that can alter or cancel the odor.

No problem, the city I live in does not have emissions testing so there are quite a bit of cars with harsh smells coming from the exhaust. I thought there might have been a way to lock the settings, like turning the pollution control on or off.
Thanks for the input

Old 12-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
dandragonrage
Plastidip is awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8t gt View Post
Recirc mode only works when A/C is on and should only be used during high ambient temperatures for max cooling. The HVAC system is designed to keep fresh air moving through the cabin.
There is a pollution mode setting to have the system recirc at low speeds during stop and go traffic.
The car should not be making that decision for me.

Recirc option is by FAR the most useful to me when I drive by a water treatment plant (all of which should be HEAVILY fined if there is ANY bad smell outside of the property they are given, but all of which in real life do not care whatsoever that they stink up a ~1 mile radius around them (not exaggerating even slightly)).

But hey, basically all the electronic controls in the car suck. Got an automatic? Try to do stuff when the car is in the middle of (taking 10 minutes to) shift gears. A lot of the controls become totally unresponsive while that happens. A BMW 550i might not drive better (in a mechanical sense) than our cars, but damn does it operate much nicer (and cost a whole lot more).
dandragonrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
slayermanny

There is a way around this. If you run the A/C at max cold setting it will always keep the recirc on. I found this out after my wife tried it on her VW and it worked so i decided to try it on my G8.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
dandragonrage
Plastidip is awful

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayermanny View Post
There is a way around this. If you run the A/C at max cold setting it will always keep the recirc on. I found this out after my wife tried it on her VW and it worked so i decided to try it on my G8.
That's great... when it's hot outside :P
dandragonrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
slayermanny

I live in miami. Its always some kinda hot outside.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
AlbertGT

That's a good idea, but my AC gets ice ice cold. I will just keep pushing the button, eventually it will be second nature and I won't even realize I pushed it, lol. And the other place I pass is the dump, I pass 2 of them on the way to work everyday and it sucks when I forget to close the "smell-O-door"...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement