I wanna invert the Manu-Matic shifter function.... - Page 4 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Go Back   Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com > G8 Tech > Drivetrain Tech

Drivetrain Tech 5L40 A5 / 6L80 A6 / TR6060 M6 / ZF Rear Diff

» Auto Insurance
» Vendors

Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #61
TireDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMG8 View Post
Was all over inverting the shifter until the paddle shifter mod came along... have not thought about it since
I am not brave enough to start hacking into the steering wheel wiring, but I am a little more confortable with fiddling with the console.
1951 Catalina SD (sold)
1999 Grand Prix sedan (sold)
1966 Ventura 2dr. hardtop (rust in peace)

TireDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #62
dirtyG8

Make sure you don't lose the little magnet. One of the plastic things that holds it in broke off on mine.
dirtyG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #63
Scholl26

Again, anyone know if the holden shifter can just be swapped out into our cars? I like the idea of sport mode being on the driver side, and not rewiring and modding the symbols. Yes, in truth I am lazy. If there are any ideas of how to find out or where to find out, it would be greatly appreciated.
30% tint, VG Sharkfin, Interior LED swap out, (Concept dart swap out pending)
Plastidip'd all chrome
Cat Back MagnaFlow Exhaust
VMR v710 Matte Black 19" (F8.5"/B9.5")
317 RHP and 316 Rftlb on Mustang Dyno
Scholl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #64
Scholl26

did I read this right that you just turn the circuit board 180 degrees? No rewire, nothing but placement? sorry, I am not a genius with wiring things.
30% tint, VG Sharkfin, Interior LED swap out, (Concept dart swap out pending)
Plastidip'd all chrome
Cat Back MagnaFlow Exhaust
VMR v710 Matte Black 19" (F8.5"/B9.5")
317 RHP and 316 Rftlb on Mustang Dyno
Scholl26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:21 AM   #65
NTrails
San Francisco Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholl26 View Post
did I read this right that you just turn the circuit board 180 degrees? No rewire, nothing but placement? sorry, I am not a genius with wiring things.

Yepp!! It looks like the only "trick" to it is gettin' the odd-shaped board secured in the new, 180 degree rotated position. It's held in place from the factory with little plastic tabs that fit around the triangular-like shaped board... so when it's flipped around, you gotta gob up some kinda hot-glue or epoxy , or putty, or other adhesive of some sort to hold it in a position under the bottom of the shifter shaft, making sure the magnet attached to the bottom is close enough to the resistors on the board to register the movement over them. Some said they used hot-glue and a little piece of foam under the board to get proper positioning. Also the attached wires seem to be a li'l restrictive as they're kinda just long enough to facilitate placement in their factory position. Perhaps a li'l relief could be gained by snipping a wire-tie nearby ??

While I'm happy that my thread has provided an eventual solution here, I dunno when I'll be tearing into my console to do it... even tho' I find myself using the manual mode more and more lately, and it STILL bugs me that it's backwards. I really want to do it, too!! OK!! I'm gonna at least open it up tomorrow!!

Can you tell me, anyone who has gone in there... where are the "sticking points"?? i.e. the clips that don't wanna let loose, or plastic parts that don't wanna come apart without breaking or will rattle and/or squeak after re-assembly?? If I am aware of these pouints before discovering their "stubbornness" I'd feel better about the whole operation!! Also.... what's your estimation of difficulty for this, onna scale of 1 to 10?? I'd be comfortable doing it no problems given it'sa 7 or 8 TOPS!!!

Thanks everyone who's posted here, and I'm looking forward to having my G shifting so much more logically soon!!

Mark D.
'08 G8 GT
PBM - tinted glass - Volant CAI - DBA 4000 brakes - Bone Stock otherwise!
NTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #66
rcpepper

I know its been a little while, but I have a holden shifter now in my possession. Noticed everything to include the circuit board is labeled either r/h or just r. Circuit board reads holden ve-r where yours reads holden ve-l. Gonna get it installed to see if it will work.

Rob

2013 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab-new ride

1992 Chevy Sport Truck-14.74 @ 93.4 254RWHP/316RWTQ

You can have all the horsepower in the world, but if you don't have the torque to back it up, all you're doing is making noise.
rcpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #67
mlittleton
Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpepper View Post
I know its been a little while, but I have a holden shifter now in my possession. Noticed everything to include the circuit board is labeled either r/h or just r. Circuit board reads holden ve-r where yours reads holden ve-l. Gonna get it installed to see if it will work.

Rob
This would be so awesome if it works. Can't wait!

2008 G8 GT MGM | SOLO Mach Balanced | Kooks Mids | Rick Crawford Racing DoD Cam/Heads TB/Intake/Tune | AFM active | Stock Stall
VCM Intake | 20" Forgestar CF5's | 20x9 et.38F/20x10 et.45R | Michelin Super Sports 245/35F and 285/30R | Camaro 3.45's | LS7 MAF

11.79 @119mph 1.86 60' - Fayetteville Motorsports Park, NC
mlittleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #68
rcpepper

The only issue I see that may be an issue is there is no brake pedal shifter lockout mechanism. May have to find a way to install the one from the stock shifter.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (98.3 KB, 23 views)

You can have all the horsepower in the world, but if you don't have the torque to back it up, all you're doing is making noise.

Last edited by rcpepper; 01-01-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Add attachment
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 AM   #69
NTrails
San Francisco Bay Area

Quote:
The only issue I see that may be an issue is there is no brake pedal shifter lockout mechanism. May have to find a way to install the one from the stock shifter.

Rob
I wouldn't mind if the Shift-Brake Interlock was disabled.... in fact my last ride (a '99 GTP) had the whole shifter assembly "re-worked" (read Hacked By A Total MORON) by the P/O. I had the dreaded "Can't remove my key" issue in other Grand Prix's I had owned and was able to fix all 3 of em without hackking it up as bad as this moron did!!! I found he had even shoved an 8 penny nail into the solenoid in the column in an attempt to remedy the situation! The BEST part of his mis-adventures was the shift Brake Interlock was disabled!! One BAD part was that the P R N D L indicators on the dash were dead... and un-repairable by my several attempts at it. I had a long time computer related issue with that car, which I always thought was possibly attributed to something he had done in these areas.. That issue being the car needed a CASE Learn procedure performed onnitt, as he did tell me when I bought it that he had replaced the harmonic balancer onnit. I asked why he did that, he said "Cuz it broke"!! But after numerous attempts at running that procedure, it would never complete!! It would hang at like 95% complete, displaying "Waiting for Full Throttle".. even tho I tried it myself... revving past red-line, doing it slowly, fast... EVERY way possible!! So after I bought my G8, I took it to the (now Chevy) Stealer, figuring it'll cost me a bit more, but at least it'll get it done, RIGHT??? Well... after a few GM Factory Engineeers had visited the dealership (nott one of 'em were even CLOSE to a solution, and most with ludicrous possible causes/solutions), numerous parts replaced (the CPK Sensor itself, the TPS, the ECL, the ABS module {another long running issue})and 7 months time passed, the dealer's mechanic happened to buy the latest Snap-On scan tool (like $5,600 retail!!) for his own personal use and brought it to work one day, he did an "Evasive Re-Write" of my ECL and MAGICALLY, it was then able to complete the CASE Learn!! Man, was THAT an animated phone call from the (newly hired after my old Service Manager was fired) Service Manager!!

So anyway... the Shift-Brake interlock is nott something I would even worry about mann!!!

NTrails

'08 G8 GT,
PBM, Onyx/Red lthr,
Varam CAI, Tinted Glass,
Bone Stock otherwise
Old 01-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #70
NTrails
San Francisco Bay Area

O BTW... I still haven't attempted to reverse my shifter board ....
Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #71
Richard Craneum

I thought when I posted the same question (reverse shifter +/-) a while back people thought I was nuts.

I am glad someone agrees

Fortune Favors The Bold
Richard Craneum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #72
rcpepper

It works, back for up, forward for down. Brake pedal lockout could be transferred as the Aussie shifter base has all the necessary slots and clips. Decided against. Did have to transfer the micro switch for the column release so I could get my key back, but again, direct transfer.

Rob

Old 01-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #73
meztup

Thanks. This is great news! Thankfully I have not screwed around with mine yet so I should be able to use the "rcp shift mod" as well. Gonna look at prices soon -- still busy working off the holiday fun right now...
meztup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #74
Richard Craneum

Quote:
It works, back for up, forward for down. Brake pedal lockout could be transferred as the Aussie shifter base has all the necessary slots and clips.
Is strange; I thought that I post this morning that I have an Aussie Shifter in my garage waiting for the weather and time (work) to be on my side to do the swap.

If I understand, there are 4 nuts that has to be removed from the bottom of the car for the assembly to be pulled out? My other concern was the microswitch for the Shift Release when you step on the Brake Pedal. Nice to know, thanks.

Fortune Favors The Bold
Richard Craneum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #75
rcpepper

Left the brake pedal shift interlock out of the Aussie shifter. The column lock microswitch I depinned the blue wire from the plug and spliced the black wire because of the multiple grounds on one pin in the plug. Spliced into the ground for the led lights.

Rob

Old 01-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #76
dirtyG8

Does anyone know the specs on the resistor that has the number 1900 on it? Mine broke off.
dirtyG8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #77
white09g8gt

Just wanted to clarify, rcpepper.
The Aussie shifter works, pulls towards driver now for manual mode, and the + - is reversed from stock? And only issue, which is fixable is the brake shift lock?

If so whats the part number and the price? To me it fixes everything that's wrong with stock Pontiac setup. Especially pulling towards you for manual.

Thanks
white09g8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement